A question for the sound

xristina volioti

Hi,

I would like to inform you that I have a problem with the sound. We have updated the server to the latest version and I'm running the OpenSim to 2 laptops (one is XP 32-bit and the other Windows 7 64-bit).  In the XP I can only play sounds locally or in world and not at all in a scipt. From the other laptop I cannot hear at all the sounds that I have uploaded. I have exactly the same preferences in Audio and Video. I'm new in OpenSim, so I would like to ask you what I have to do in order to fix it and hear properly every sound.

Thank you in advance.

With regards,
Christina

Re: A question for the sound

Wade Schuette
Christina,

You may have several different problems.

First, there is no "standard" volume for uploaded files.  I even have problems with some normal mp3's in iTunes

 You may need to increase the volume of your sounds and reload them.    Most people I know use a wonderful free product called Audacity to do that sort of tweaking.  I've had to increase volume of files many times.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

(side note - If you ever want to use audacity to make mp3 files, you also need a separate download it tells you about.)
If you get to that point, it's easy to use audacity to really boost the volume of your clips and see if that helps.

So, one question I'd ask is whether you can hear OTHER sounds, and whether other people can hear the sounds YOU uploaded.   Both of those tests can help pin down whether the problems are at the server end or the client end, or both.

First test any YouTube video with soft music to be sure your local machine volume is working properly on both clients.
The Moonlight Sonata is a good test. I like this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk

It's remarkably easy to inadvertently alter or even mute the local machine's volume control.   Even when you have it set correctly,  ill-behaved products such as Skype can change your volume and leave it changed when you exit them.
Microsoft operating systems have a number of hidden ways they try to be "helpful" that interfere with sound in non-obvious ways, both output and mike-input.

Make sure you shove EVERY slider on your audio preferences panel to the far right for testing this sort of thing, to eliminate that as a confounding problem.

The script commands PLAY and LOOP, or whatever they are,  both have their own volume option -- make sure it's set to the maximum. (1.0 ?? I forget right now.)

            the issues that have nothing to do with your clip or OpenSim.  Don't forget to look for muted output and
            unplugged cables.

      (2)  See if other people can hear your clips in OpenSim.  If they can, and you can't, the problem is not with the
            clips but with some other settings on your own preferences.

      (3)  Confirm you can hear sounds in general and other clips that other people can hear in OpenSim.  If not,
            you still have preferences set wrong, probably, on both computers.

      (4)  If you and everyone still think your clips are too soft,   try boosting their volume in Audacity and
             re-uploading them.

       (5)  If none of that works,  post again here.  I'll be curious to know where the problems were.

On 11/8/12 12:24 AM, xristina volioti wrote:

Hi,

I would like to inform you that I have a problem with the sound. We have updated the server to the latest version and I'm running the OpenSim to 2 laptops (one is XP 32-bit and the other Windows 7 64-bit).  In the XP I can only play sounds locally or in world and not at all in a scipt. From the other laptop I cannot hear at all the sounds that I have uploaded. I have exactly the same preferences in Audio and Video. I'm new in OpenSim, so I would like to ask you what I have to do in order to fix it and hear properly every sound.

Thank you in advance.

With regards,
Christina

Re: A question for the sound

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

xristina volioti

Hi,

thank you both of you for your answers.
Well firstly I'm using Imprudence.
Secondly, I haven't done what Wade Schuette told me, because I had work. Now I'll see all these and I'll inform you about it.

Thank you once more!!!
Best regards,
Christina

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] A question for the sound

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

xristina volioti

Ok I tested what you've said.. I have the same preferences to both computers and the result is that I can hear the sounds in laptop with XP but I still cannot hear the sounds in laptop with Windows 7. Also a friend of mine tested it to his computer (Windows 7, 64-bit) and he can't hear any sound. Do you know if it runs to the Windows 7, 64-bit?
Also when I log in, a menu pops up with this "Your system contains a graphic card that is unknown to us at this time." Do you know if this is the problem?

Thank you for your useful help!!
Best regards,
Christina

Re: A question for the sound

InuYasha Meiji
I run and test my Opensim 56 region grid on a Windows 7 64 bit machine
and have both Firestorm and Imprudence installed.  As it turns out I
have no problems with sound except using a script to upload many 10
second clips in a row to play an entire song on an instrument.  As far
as hearing it, I do find it is making sounds lower then usual and they
have to be turned up.  While Firestorm's recent viewer/client works
fine, Imprudence don't seem to work properly for me.

To me this is an Imprudence isue, so I stick to Firestorm.

Good luck and hope the team there don't get disapointed and keep up the
good work.  Not sure Firestorm with add any form of Grid list editor yet.

InuYasha.

On 11/8/2012 2:17 PM, xristina volioti wrote:

> [...]
> computers.
>
>       (4)  If you and everyone still think your clips are too soft,
> try boosting their volume in Audacity and
>              re-uploading them.
>
>        (5)  If none of that works,  post again here. I'll be curious
> to know where the problems were.
>

> On 11/8/12 12:24 AM, xristina volioti wrote:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     I would like to inform you that I have a problem with the sound.
>     We have updated the server to the latest version and I'm running
>     the OpenSim to 2 laptops (one is XP 32-bit and the other Windows 7
>     64-bit).  In the XP I can only play soundslocally or in world and
>     not at all in a scipt. From the other laptop I cannot hear at all
>     the sounds that I have uploaded. I have exactly the same
>     preferences in Audio and Video. I'm new in OpenSim, so I would
>     like to ask you what I have to do in order to fix it and hear

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: A question for the sound

Fleep Tuque
Hi Christina,

I use Imprudence 1.3.x on a Windows 7 64-bit machine and have never had trouble with any sounds playing, so I know that sound _can_ work in that environment.  However, I also remember that Imprudence users had reported a variety of audio problems due to different audio drivers, and my guess it that's probably the issue you are facing.  If that's the case, the issue isn't with Opensim at all, but rather an issue with the viewer and your specific audio drivers.

The first thing I'd suggest is switching to a different viewer to see if the problem persists, something like Firestorm or Teapot, since I think they are using relatively different code bases.  If you still can't hear any audio using a different viewer, I'd also check to make sure all of your audio drivers are up to date.

Best of luck and will look forward to hearing how it goes!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
i had that issue in several viewers. Please make sure you try to set the following in the viewer preferences:
PREFRENCES / GENERAL / RATING setting is set to :
I want to access content rated PG & MATURE and PG & MATURE & ADULT
After that in Singularity, Imprudence and Phoenix* sound started playing (after the sound assets where downloaded - took some times) ..
if not try downloading the Singularity and see if it is a real Imprudence problem

hope this helps and best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

here are some error reports for singularity i created
 The KOKUA/Imprudence Viewer Forum is offline at the moment:

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
oh i forgot the link to the latest Singularity downloads

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

xristina volioti

I'm grateful to all of you for your help..
I install Phoenix in the laptop with Windows 7, 64-bit and I can hear the sounds..even better than the sounds from the other laptop (XP, 32-bit)! :)
Thank you a lot!! You do a great job..

Best regards,
Christina

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:56:33 +0100

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Glad to hear ; Make sure to give Singularity a try as it also have Windlight/Lightshare Settings
(Shadows and such) for your overall pleasure..

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:56:33 +0100

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:16:29 +0100

Which viewer do you use ? mayby i have a trick as i experienced these issues as well ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: A question for the sound

Wade Schuette
Good work!   ( This adds a few more items to my general check list!)

Oh, by the way,  Second Life and I'm pretty sure OpenSim are 32-bit applications.   They run on 64-bit windows in compatibility mode.

No one asked, but for completeness,  when debugging Vivox VOICE, there are also a whole NEW wheelbarrow of issues and places things can go wrong.      At least in Second Life,  voice tends to get dropped rather rapidly when bandwidth is too low, and the voice daemon continues to run silently blocking new efforts to log out and back into Second Life to fix it -- that sort of thing.   Voice also gets dropped FREQUENTLY because the user's home wifi drivers are out of date, or they have a cheap or old wifi that never imagined that uninterrupted real-time streaming UDP might matter.   Now tracing THAT problem down remotely is a nightmare, let alone trying to figure out then explain to a user how to update their wireless drivers.   Sigh.

Wade

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 20:56:33 +0100