ANNOUNCEMENT: justincc now a freelance OpenSim consultant

ANNOUNCEMENT: justincc now a freelance OpenSim consultant

justincc
Hi folks.  I hope you'll indulge me in using up my spam allocation for this
year.  But I just wanted to publicly announce that as of this month I'm now a
freelance OpenSim consultant, ready to contribute to people's projects or give
various kinds of advice.

For more details, please see my blog post at

http://justincc.org/blog/2009/09/17/im-now-a-freelance-opensim-consultant/

Best Regards,

Justin Clark-Casey

Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Karen_Palen
I have been researching ways to move my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.

I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I* created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool here!

My goal is to do offline development of things then move the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto the appropriate grid.

So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything except animations.

Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from TestClient or one of the viewers?

I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.

In addition there are often a dozen versions of an animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Karen_Palen
BUMP!

> my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.
>
> I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I*
> created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool
> here!
>
> My goal is to do offline development of things then move
> the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto
> the appropriate grid.
>
> So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything
> except animations.
>
> Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from
> TestClient or one of the viewers?
>
> I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a
> few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to
> extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.
>
> In addition there are often a dozen versions of an
> animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to
> figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Len W. Brown
I'd love to know the answer to your question as well.

     I logged into SL a little while ago and cringed at the realization that I now have over 34,000 objects in my inventory.  I estimate about 12,000 are self-created over the last four years of building in SL.  From all kinds of furniture and plants/trees, to dozens of houses, shops and other buildings I've built from scratch.

     But in line with your original post, I too have a number of animations/gestures I created for SL and have since inadvertently lost the original source files to when I imported them originally into SL.

     I was going to suggest Second Inventory, but you like I want to move these things over to OpenSim.  Ugh...

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
BUMP!

> my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.
>
> I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I*
> created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool
> here!
>
> My goal is to do offline development of things then move
> the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto
> the appropriate grid.
>
> So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything
> except animations.
>
> Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from
> TestClient or one of the viewers?
>
> I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a
> few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to
> extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.
>
> In addition there are often a dozen versions of an
> animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to
> figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Chris Hart

Second Inventory certainly works for animations from SL to OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple of months ago) – then once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and potentially IARs (again I’ve not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little more elegantly.

Chris

I'd love to know the answer to your question as well.

     I logged into SL a little while ago and cringed at the realization that I now have over 34,000 objects in my inventory.  I estimate about 12,000 are self-created over the last four years of building in SL.  From all kinds of furniture and plants/trees, to dozens of houses, shops and other buildings I've built from scratch.

     But in line with your original post, I too have a number of animations/gestures I created for SL and have since inadvertently lost the original source files to when I imported them originally into SL.

     I was going to suggest Second Inventory, but you like I want to move these things over to OpenSim.  Ugh...

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

BUMP!

> my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.
>
> I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I*
> created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool
> here!
>
> My goal is to do offline development of things then move
> the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto
> the appropriate grid.
>
> So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything
> except animations.
>
> Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from
> TestClient or one of the viewers?
>
> I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a
> few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to
> extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.
>
> In addition there are often a dozen versions of an
> animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to
> figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Len W. Brown
Really?  If that is true then wonderful!

Is there anyone who currently owns Second Inventory that can verify this for me/us?  If it still works to backup from SL to OS (our own created objects, of course) then I will purchase Second Inventory this morning.

Thanks Chris for the heads up!

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Chris Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

Second Inventory certainly works for animations from SL to OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple of months ago) – then once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and potentially IARs (again I’ve not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little more elegantly.

Chris

I'd love to know the answer to your question as well.

     I logged into SL a little while ago and cringed at the realization that I now have over 34,000 objects in my inventory.  I estimate about 12,000 are self-created over the last four years of building in SL.  From all kinds of furniture and plants/trees, to dozens of houses, shops and other buildings I've built from scratch.

     But in line with your original post, I too have a number of animations/gestures I created for SL and have since inadvertently lost the original source files to when I imported them originally into SL.

     I was going to suggest Second Inventory, but you like I want to move these things over to OpenSim.  Ugh...

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

BUMP!

> my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.
>
> I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I*
> created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool
> here!
>
> My goal is to do offline development of things then move
> the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto
> the appropriate grid.
>
> So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything
> except animations.
>
> Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from
> TestClient or one of the viewers?
>
> I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a
> few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to
> extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.
>
> In addition there are often a dozen versions of an
> animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to
> figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Karen_Palen
It seems that quite a few people want to know the answer to this!

I understand that Second Inventory is based on OpenMetalib, so if Second Inventory can extract these animations then TestClient should also even if TestClient is nowhere near as elegant!

I have tried the TestClient Backup command, with no success for animations so far - maybe I just need to keep trying.

Sigh it always comes down to try and try again.

> OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple
> of months ago) – then
> once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and
> potentially IARs (again I’ve
> not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little
> more elegantly.
>

> Chris

I was just reading a couple references to OpenSim on the Second Inventory site.  On their FAQ page there is no "direct" mention of OpenSim, but an indirect reference to megaprims can only be restored in OpenSim due to SL restrictions.  And a reference to "backing up to share with a group and for offline editing."  Offline editing, I assume, would have to mean, use in OpenSim...

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems that quite a few people want to know the answer to this!

I understand that Second Inventory is based on OpenMetalib, so if Second Inventory can extract these animations then TestClient should also even if TestClient is nowhere near as elegant!

I have tried the TestClient Backup command, with no success for animations so far - maybe I just need to keep trying.

Sigh it always comes down to try and try again.

> OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple
> of months ago) – then
> once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and
> potentially IARs (again I’ve
> not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little
> more elegantly.
>

> Chris

http://www.secondinventory.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9

A forum section regarding OpenSim Integration.

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was just reading a couple references to OpenSim on the Second Inventory site.  On their FAQ page there is no "direct" mention of OpenSim, but an indirect reference to megaprims can only be restored in OpenSim due to SL restrictions.  And a reference to "backing up to share with a group and for offline editing."  Offline editing, I assume, would have to mean, use in OpenSim...

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems that quite a few people want to know the answer to this!

I understand that Second Inventory is based on OpenMetalib, so if Second Inventory can extract these animations then TestClient should also even if TestClient is nowhere near as elegant!

I have tried the TestClient Backup command, with no success for animations so far - maybe I just need to keep trying.

Sigh it always comes down to try and try again.

> OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple
> of months ago) – then
> once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and
> potentially IARs (again I’ve
> not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little
> more elegantly.
>

> Chris

cliveg
Hi

I don't know about gestures, but I know you can successfully use the
Meerkat viewer to move objects from SL to OpenSim.

Meerkat also allows you to copy objects that you have full permissions
on directly from Secondlife into Opensim. This is easily achieved by
logging into SL using Meerkat, right clicking on the object you wish
to copy choosing More> More> Backup from the round menu. Using the
Browse option, create a directory on your local hard drive where you
then save the objects xml description and texture. Change grid to
OpenSim and choose viewer top toolbar menu File > Import > Upload
textures + Import. Load the object xml file from where you saved it
and the object magically appears in front of you in OpenSim :D

Good luck

Clive

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Len W. Brown
Thanks for the tip Clive!

     I actually recall using Meerkat a while back and it was neat how I could copy things out of SL and import them into OS.  But the trouble with that is it only allows me to do it one rezzed object at a time.  I have close to 12,000 objects that need transferring...

     BTW, after reading a lot of forum posts on the Second Inventory site I found many, many posts that indicated a lot of trouble with exporting animations and gestures because of the nature of how they are incorporated into SL and utilized.

     My only other cause for concern is the obvious fact that OpenSim is still very much alphaware and from what I've seen multiple times already on the Second Inventory forums is that any tiny change that takes place in OpenSim as to how it manages inventory is cause for breakage in how Second Inventory performs restorations of inventory.

     I'm getting the impression it's going to be a pot luck approach for the time being by trying Second Inventory, Meerkat, and in some regards simply rebuilding the objects in OpenSim.

     Second Life is now so well seasoned that it looks like the best forward march (for me at least) will be to create exclusively in OpenSim and export from there to import into Second Life, thus maintaining all original creations locally in OpenSim for the least trouble in the long run...

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM, clive gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ale Fernandez
Hi

2009/9/20 Len Brown <[hidden email]>
Thanks for the tip Clive!

     I actually recall using Meerkat a while back and it was neat how I could copy things out of SL and import them into OS.  But the trouble with that is it only allows me to do it one rezzed object at a time.  I have close to 12,000 objects that need transferring...

I wonder why that is? I tried the same and just rezzed a bunch of stuff from my inventory in SL, which I then was able to select, and backup all together for copying into opensim. Scripts were lost. What happens when you do this? Maybe a meerkat mailing list would be better for that. Now back to installing the diva distro!

Ale

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Karen_Palen
The way Meerkat appears to work is that it will copy every object that you have selected, including the link structure and textures.

All embedded scripts, animations are simply dropped - that is the source of the problem I am having!

I have copies some fairly complex buildings this way, including unlinked objects such as doors (mostly).

There are two limits to this, the object must be selected and you must have full perms (and/or be the creator) of EVERY prim in the collection.

ANY prim for which those conditions are not satisfied is simply dropped.

I have not done any testing on the full perm vs creator (not just owner) condition since everything I want to move is stuff that I have both created and have full perms.

I have read some philosophical debates on whether or not any object that has full perms implies that it be copyable as a backup, but I really don't know the status of those discussions.

Anyway prims, textures, and their links are clearly NOT the immediate problem! There are still some issues on that front which so far seem to be shared by Second Inventory.

Meerkat does not copy scripts either, but if you have full perms on the script you can manually cut and paste the script to OpenSim.

Almost all Second Life scripts compile under OpenSim 0.66 BTW.

I am working on JIRA reports for the discrepancies I find, so far it seems to be mostly that the OpenSim script engine does a more thorough check of the code than the Second Life script engine rather than any functional differences.

This is workable solution if you are just setting up an OpenSim world, but really does not solve the problem if you want to create a scene in OpenSim and then port it back to Second Life.

I have around 15,000 separate items in my inventory (some of them are packages of much larger collections) and would like to move about a third of that to OpenSim.

The Meerkat "selection" system is workable, but slow with that many objects.. It would be quite usable to move a completed build between sims (e.g. my standalone grid to Second Life) - provided that the "backup" included all of my scripts and animations!

With the planned divergence of capability between OpenGrid, RealeXtend, and Second Life there would also need to be some sort of "sanity check" build in to make sure that what was exported would actually "play nice" in the target grid. I know of nothing with that function at present, hence the problem with prims larger than 10m on a side.

My understanding is that Second Inventory uses a more sophisticated system to determine what to export, and that TestClient requires the UUID of each object exported.

So far the only true "show stopper" is animations and gestures!

This is my understanding of the situation as it exists, hopefully someone can correct any errors.

>      I actually recall using Meerkat a while back and
> it was neat how I could copy things out of SL and import
> them into OS.  But the trouble with that is it only allows
> me to do it one rezzed object at a time.  I have close to
> 12,000 objects that need transferring...
>

> I wonder why that is? I tried the same and just rezzed a
> bunch of stuff from my inventory in SL, which I then was
> able to select, and backup all together for copying into
> opensim. Scripts were lost. What happens when you do this?
> Maybe a meerkat mailing list would be better for that. Now
> back to installing the diva distro!
>

> Ale
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Karen_Palen
I too have been doing this regularly, there are two limitations:

1) EVERY prim is named "primitive" so your object must be renamed on import.

2) Unlinked objects like doors tend not to be selected and are left behind. Unlinked doors are the result of an old bug which is now fixed in SL at least, I am not sure about the fix in OpenSim 0.66. See the JIRA comments on llgetLocalrot and llGetLocalPos for details on this one.

> I don't know about gestures, but I know you can
> successfully use the
> Meerkat viewer to move objects from SL to OpenSim.
>
> Meerkat also allows you to copy objects that you have full
> permissions
> on directly from Secondlife into Opensim. This is easily
> achieved by
> logging into SL using Meerkat, right clicking on the object
> you wish
> to copy choosing More> More> Backup from the round
> menu. Using the
> Browse option, create a directory on your local hard drive
> where you
> then save the objects xml description and texture. Change
> grid to
> OpenSim and choose viewer top toolbar menu File > Import
> > Upload
> textures + Import. Load the object xml file from where you
> saved it
> and the object magically appears in front of you in OpenSim
> :D
>
> Good luck
>
> Clive

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: justincc now a freelance OpenSim consultant

Robert Klein
Congrats Justin!!! I wish you all the best in your plans and will keep your offer in mind for the (hopefully near) future.

-Robert

justincc wrote
Hi folks.  I hope you'll indulge me in using up my spam allocation for this
year.  But I just wanted to publicly announce that as of this month I'm now a
freelance OpenSim consultant, ready to contribute to people's projects or give
various kinds of advice.

For more details, please see my blog post at

http://justincc.org/blog/2009/09/17/im-now-a-freelance-opensim-consultant/

Best Regards,

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Ryan Tanay
I'm currently using Second Inventory to copy assets of all types from Second Life to OpenSim.  While Second Inventory makes backing up your entire inventory a snap, with a single right-click and "backup folder" command that can be used to pull down your entire "My Inventory" folder, putting assets back up, be it to Second Life or an OpenSim install is not quite as automated.

For simple assets like textures, clothing, sounds, scripts and animations, you have to open each asset individually by double-clicking, go to a pulldown menu and select restore, and then click "OK" on the successfully backed up confirmation window.  For objects, the process is even more involved, with another window confirming the textures applied to the objects various prims, and a final window which allows you to then take the object that's been re-rezzed in OpenSim.  Another note, all textures that are included in objects you restore using Second Inventory show up in your textures folder with the naming convention <object name>_1, with the number iterating for each texture included in the object.  While this is quite convenient for knowing which texture goes with which object, it effectively eliminates descriptive naming for the texture itself.

In short, while Second Inventory is excellent for creating a local backup of your Second Life or OpenSim inventory, using it to transfer large numbers of assets from one metaverse to another can get tedious.  My suggestion would be to only use Second Inventory to back up and restore objects, but if you already have local copies of textures, animations, sounds etc., it's faster to just re-upload them through your SL browser of choice than use Second Inventory to backup and restore them from another metaverse.

~Ryan

On Sep 20, 2009, at 6:09 AM, Len Brown wrote:

Really?  If that is true then wonderful!

Is there anyone who currently owns Second Inventory that can verify this for me/us?  If it still works to backup from SL to OS (our own created objects, of course) then I will purchase Second Inventory this morning.

Thanks Chris for the heads up!

- Len

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Chris Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

Second Inventory certainly works for animations from SL to OpenSim last time I tried it (which admittedly was a couple of months ago) – then once you have them in OpenSim you can use OARs and potentially IARs (again I’ve not tested) to transfer them between OpenSim grids a little more elegantly.

Chris

I'd love to know the answer to your question as well.

     I logged into SL a little while ago and cringed at the realization that I now have over 34,000 objects in my inventory.  I estimate about 12,000 are self-created over the last four years of building in SL.  From all kinds of furniture and plants/trees, to dozens of houses, shops and other buildings I've built from scratch.

     But in line with your original post, I too have a number of animations/gestures I created for SL and have since inadvertently lost the original source files to when I imported them originally into SL.

     I was going to suggest Second Inventory, but you like I want to move these things over to OpenSim.  Ugh...

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

BUMP!

> my inventory from Second Life to OpenSim and back.
>
> I do want to emphasize that these are animations that *I*
> created and uploaded, I am not looking for a piracy tool
> here!
>
> My goal is to do offline development of things then move
> the resulting "thing" - avatar, object, or a whole sim onto
> the appropriate grid.
>
> So far I have found workable ways to do this for everything
> except animations.
>
> Is there a way to recreate the BVH file either from
> TestClient or one of the viewers?
>
> I have about 90% of the original BVH files, but there are a
> few that got changed in various ways so it would be nice to
> extract the exact animation form my Second Life inventory.
>
> In addition there are often a dozen versions of an
> animation as things get tweaked and it can be a pain to
> figure out which one finally got used.

Re: Moving my animations/gestures from SL to OPenSIm

Len W. Brown
Thanks for the information Ryan!

     I appreciate that.  I'm coming to terms with the possibility that some of my creations in Second Life will be better off in OpenSim if I just recreate them from scratch.  While a bit tedious and very time consuming, I've found a bit of a silver lining...

     Earlier today I set up two PC's side by side.  One is logged into Second Life.  The other is connected to my local OpenSim server.  I've basically been rezzing a build of mine in SL and then piece by piece recreating it in OpenSim.  Very slow process, but in the process, I'm rebuilding things that I'd originally constructed in SL back in 2004 and 2005.  Already I'm seeing numerous "shortcuts" as I'm rebuilding these things where I now know how to use far fewer prims for things like window pane dividers, etc.  Back then I used lots of single long prims where now I know how to usehollowed out flat prims to use less prims.  And occasionally I use sculpted prims now (though I don't really like them) for windows and doors.

     So while this is a slow process, it is helping me greatly improve many of my old builds.  Of course, Second Inventory and Meerkat will come in handy as well...

     I guess the moral of the email is... It's not a bad idea to have and know how to use multiple tools to achieve the same end goal.  Who knows when a tool like Second Inventory or Meerkat won't work down the road.  Best to understand the alternatives just in case.

:)

- Len