About OpenSim Server Cluster

Arturo Nakasone

Hello,

This question might be somewhat unrelated to OpenSim, but we would appreciate if anyone could help us with this:

Currently, we have two Dell PowerEdge servers running two separate instances of OpenSim. While we were testing our applications, we had some small performance problems we would like to avoid by combining the power of both our servers. In short, what we are looking for is a way to cluster our servers in such a way that OpenSim can look at this cluster as one server. Since most of the burden for our applications is in the Region Server, I am not sure if running OpenSim in Grid mode will really help in this case.

If anyone knows about any hardware or software based solution we can use, please let us know

Thank you very much

Best regards

*  Arturo Nakasone, PhD                                  *

*  Project Manager                                       *

*  Digital Content and Media Sciences Research Division  *

*  National Institute of Informatics                     *

*  2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda Ku, Tokyo 101-8430        *

*  Japan                                                 *

*  Tel: +81-3-4212-2650    Fax: +81-3-4212-2644          *

*  Web: http://www.prendingerlab.net                     *

Re: About OpenSim Server Cluster

Gavin Spurgeon
On 18/06/09 11:02, Arturo Nakasone wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This question might be somewhat unrelated to OpenSim, but we would
> appreciate if anyone could help us with this:
>
> Currently, we have two Dell PowerEdge servers running two separate
> instances of OpenSim. While we were testing our applications, we had
> some small performance problems we would like to avoid by combining the
> power of both our servers. In short, what we are looking for is a way to
> cluster our servers in such a way that OpenSim can look at this cluster
> as one server. Since most of the burden for our applications is in the
> Region Server, I am not sure if running OpenSim in Grid mode will really
> help in this case.
>
> If anyone knows about any hardware or software based solution we can
> use, please let us know

Simple answer,

  Run your OpenSim in a Virtual Machine (Xen/KVM/QEMU) and have both
physical servers running the Virtual Machines setup as a cluster with
shared storage.

This also gives you Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance as a bonus :-)

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.."
Gavin Spurgeon.
AKA Da Geek

--
This message was scanned by DaGeek Spam Filter and is believed to be clean.

Re: About OpenSim Server Cluster

Ursula MATOVA
Hi Arturo,

In grid mode you have the ability to separate server components ( UGAIM
+R )
I'm not sure at all that "clustering" will be possible with the
current development state. Anyway, one thing you could experiment is
the following :

- First Server : Database + UGAIM
- Second server : R ( Region Server )

Another idea ( depends on the number of region you're hosting ) :

Spliting the regions into 2 groups, then, run one region server on
each server. Of course you cannot run multiple copies of UGAIM.

Another point is to carefully monitor your database ( MySQL in my
case ), running maintenance tasks, ...
I have found that bad response times with MySQL have a very bad impact
on the whole OpenSim server performances.
You could also use a database cluster.

@Gavin : Not sure it's a good idea to run OpenSim into virtual
machines, not in a production environment. You really have too many
performance problem with the current virtualization tools ( I have
only tested xen ).

Hope this help,

regards,
Ursula.

Le 18 juin 09 à 13:15, Gavin Spurgeon a écrit :

> On 18/06/09 11:02, Arturo Nakasone wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This question might be somewhat unrelated to OpenSim, but we would
>> appreciate if anyone could help us with this:
>>
>> Currently, we have two Dell PowerEdge servers running two separate
>> instances of OpenSim. While we were testing our applications, we had
>> some small performance problems we would like to avoid by combining
>> the
>> power of both our servers. In short, what we are looking for is a
>> way to
>> cluster our servers in such a way that OpenSim can look at this
>> cluster
>> as one server. Since most of the burden for our applications is in
>> the
>> Region Server, I am not sure if running OpenSim in Grid mode will
>> really
>> help in this case.
>>
>> If anyone knows about any hardware or software based solution we can
>> use, please let us know
>
> Simple answer,
>
>  Run your OpenSim in a Virtual Machine (Xen/KVM/QEMU) and have both
> physical servers running the Virtual Machines setup as a cluster with
> shared storage.
>
> This also gives you Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance as a bonus :-)

> "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything,
> they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.."
> Gavin Spurgeon.
> AKA Da Geek
>

> --
> This message was scanned by DaGeek Spam Filter and is believed to be
> clean.

Re: About OpenSim Server Cluster

Arturo Nakasone
Hello Ursula and Gavin

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I am not really sure how separating the region from the UGAIM servers will
help since our applications are very data intensive (fast creation and
deletion of prims and such).
The virtualization solution seems interesting, but I agree that some
performance problems might appear.
In any case, I will try them to see which of these solutions gives us the
best performance improvement.

Thanks again