'Access to the path "/" is denied' error message when trying to run OpenSim

'Access to the path "/" is denied' error message when trying to run OpenSim

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
I'm trying to install OpenSim 0.7.6 on a client computer.  It's my fourth OpenSim installation but the first time I've had problems like this.  I am at the very first stage, simply trying to run in standalone mode.

When I download the binary and try running "mono OpenSim.exe", I keep getting the error  'Access to the path "/" is denied.'   I've also tried OpenSim 0.7.5 and get the same error.  It appears to be either in or immediately after reading OpenSimDefaults.ini.

I've also tried building from 0.7.6 source and I get the same 'Access to the path "/" is denied.' in xbuild.

I'm using Mono 3.2.3 and Centos Linux 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50).  I don't have direct access to the computer - I'm working through cpanel and putty.

If anyone has a clue to what I'm overlooking or doing wrong, I'll appreciate any suggestions.

EDIT:
My problem might be that my client is running Centos Linux.  This seems to be a problem OS for OpenSim. I don't have root access, which makes it even harder.  I'm still trying to find a solution.  If anyone has experience with Centos and can offer tips, I'll appreciate any suggestions.
====END EDIT====

Here is the output I get when I run "mono OpenSim.exe":

10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: configured log4net using default OpenSim.exe.config
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: System Locale is
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Environment variable MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU is unset
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Runtime gave us 8 min worker threads and 16 min IOCP threads
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Runtime gave us 800 max worker threads and 32 max IOCP threads
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Bumping up max IOCP threads to 1000
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Threadpool set to 800 max worker threads and 1000 max IOCP threads
10:00:55 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Environment is supported by OpenSimulator.
10:00:55 - [CONFIG]: Reading configuration settings
10:00:55 - [CONFIG]: Reading configuration file /home/halflife/opensim/opensim-0.7.6/bin/OpenSimDefaults.ini
10:00:55 - [APPLICATION]:
APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs

Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/" is denied.
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFileSystemEntries (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, FileAttributes mask, FileAttributes attrs) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.Util.Glob (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.ConfigurationLoader.AddIncludes (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 sources) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.ConfigurationLoader.LoadConfigSettings (IConfigSource argvSource, Nini.Config.EnvConfigSource envConfigSource, OpenSim.Framework.ConfigSettings& configSettings, OpenSim.Framework.NetworkServersInfo& networkInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.LoadConfigSettings (IConfigSource configSource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase..ctor (IConfigSource configSource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSim..ctor (IConfigSource configSource) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Application is terminating: True
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/" is denied.
[...]

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

M.E. Verhagen
you could check if all the files in the dir are on the same user (including the opensim dir) and that directories are relative to the opensim dir in the opensim config files.

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I've checked file ownership and permissions.  The directories are all straight out-of-the-box OpenSim.  I simply set up the database, extracted the binary, and tried running OpenSim.exe.

I've had my own Linux grid running pretty much non-stop (except for maintenance) for two years, with users, and I've created other grids, but I've never had a problem like this.  This also the first time I haven't had root access, so I don't have the ability look for misconfigurations in the system.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

justincc
 From the trace it looks like OpenSimulator is trying to read the root dir.  Also from the trace, I would guess that one
of your Include-* entries (which load other config files) is somehow specifying /.  You would need to check them all
carefully and if they appear okay try commenting one out at a time to see if this affects the problems.

On 23/11/13 21:02, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I've checked file ownership and permissions.
> The directories are all straight out-of-the-box OpenSim.  I simply set up
> the database, extracted the binary, and tried running OpenSim.exe.
>
> I've had my own Linux grid running pretty much non-stop (except for
> maintenance) for two years, with users, and I've created other grids, but
> I've never had a problem like this.  This also the first time I haven't had
> root access, so I don't have the ability look for misconfigurations in the
> system.
>

> -----
>   Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>   Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>   Northern California
>   ErikBainbridge.com
>   VirtualMarin.com

OSVW Consulting

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

R.Gunther
JUst want to mentpoin it, dont think its the problem.
But you need to CD first into the opensim bin directory.
Then execute opensim.exe. If you dont do that opensim cant read the
config files,
But that would generate normally a different error message.

On 2013-11-26 03:06, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> From the trace it looks like OpenSimulator is trying to read the root
> dir.  Also from the trace, I would guess that one of your Include-*
> entries (which load other config files) is somehow specifying /.  You
> would need to check them all carefully and if they appear okay try
> commenting one out at a time to see if this affects the problems.
>
> On 23/11/13 21:02, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I've checked file ownership and
>> permissions.
>> The directories are all straight out-of-the-box OpenSim.  I simply
>> set up
>> the database, extracted the binary, and tried running OpenSim.exe.
>>
>> I've had my own Linux grid running pretty much non-stop (except for
>> maintenance) for two years, with users, and I've created other grids,
>> but
>> I've never had a problem like this.  This also the first time I
>> haven't had
>> root access, so I don't have the ability look for misconfigurations
>> in the
>> system.
>>

>> -----
>>   Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>>   Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>>   Northern California
>>   ErikBainbridge.com
>>   VirtualMarin.com
>> --

---

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
Thanks for your reply.  I agree with your suggestion, however since it appears to be a Centos issue and I've read so many complaints about Centos and OpenSim, the company I''m doing the project for is looking for a hosting company with a different OS.

We're investigating using Amazon EC2 with Ubuntu or SUSE.  I use OpenSUSE on my home server and like it, but I may recommend Ubuntu because of it's lower cost on EC2.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

Melanie
The function "Glob" attempts to create a list of candidate
files/directories but stepping through the path components of the
config-includes.

Your issue is caused by one of your config includes having an
absolute path specified, e.g. "/home/opensim/config-includes/*.ini"
rather than a relative path, e.g. "config-includes/*.ini" and the
root directory is not listable for that user.

This is caused by not having SELINUX disabled and not having a
policy that allows world to read the visible entries in the root
directory.

You can solve this in three different ways:

Disable SELINUX - edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set policy from
ENFORCING to DISABLED, _or_ add "selinux=0" to the kernel command
line in /boot/grub/grub.conf

Add a SELINUX policy to allow listing the root directory for at
least the user you want to run OpenSim as.

Don't use absolute paths for config-includes.

The fourth alternative would be to run OpenSim as root - this is NOT
RECOMMENDED!!!!

Melanie

On 26/11/2013 21:51, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I agree with your suggestion, however since it
> appears to be a Centos issue and I've read so many complaints about Centos
> and OpenSim, the company I''m doing the project for is looking for a hosting
> company with a different OS.
>
> We're investigating using Amazon EC2 with Ubuntu or SUSE.  I use OpenSUSE on
> my home server and like it, but I may recommend Ubuntu because of it's lower
> cost on EC2.
>

> -----
>  Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>  Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>  Northern California
>  ErikBainbridge.com
>  VirtualMarin.com

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
Melanie, thanks for informing me about selinux. I'll look into it for  my home OpenSUSE OpenSim server.

However it doesn't help me with my client's system, where I don't have root access.  I'm just trying to install the initial unmodified OpenSim 0.7.6.  I've also tried source and 0.7.5 binary.  I haven't changed anything.  The only absolute path reference I've found so far in the config files is for PIDfile, but that's commented out in all the files I've examined so far.

This is my fourth OpenSim install, but the first time I've encountered a problem like this.  If anyone knows of an absolute path reference in the default OpenSim release, please tell me about it.

BTW, as a software professional with a long background in Unix, I strongly agree about not running OpenSim as root.

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

Melanie
I don't recall how I wrote "Glob", it may well always try to
generate absolute paths, so that would be incompatible with using
SELINUX at all.

However, there is a workaround. There is a utility called
"configger.exe" that you can use to, on your own local system, merge
all the config files under config-include into a single OpenSim.ini
file. As soon as you have no more Include-* directives in your
configuration, this error will go away.

Melanie

On 26/11/2013 23:57, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

> Melanie, thanks for informing me about selinux. I'll look into it for  my
> home OpenSUSE OpenSim server.
>
> However it doesn't help me with my client's system, where I don't have root
> access.  I'm just trying to install the initial unmodified OpenSim 0.7.6.
> I've also tried source and 0.7.5 binary.  I haven't changed anything.  The
> only absolute path reference I've found so far in the config files is for
> PIDfile, but that's commented out in all the files I've examined so far.
>
> This is my fourth OpenSim install, but the first time I've encountered a
> problem like this.  If anyone knows of an absolute path reference in the
> default OpenSim release, please tell me about it.
>
> BTW, as a software professional with a long background in Unix, I strongly
> agree about not running OpenSim as root.
>

> -----
>  Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>  Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>  Northern California
>  ErikBainbridge.com
>  VirtualMarin.com
>  hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

M.E. Verhagen
I is a strange error since every user should have access to the / path .. how else can you even login ?

So I would suggest get root access to somehow fix what is going wrong (the system logs could perhaps give some sort of hint about what, maybe you just have to add the opensim user to certain groups so It can access some needed system libs orso)
or get another linux box.

Re: 'Access to the path "/" is denied' errors when trying to run OpenSim

Jeff Kelley
At 2:57 PM -0800 26/11/13, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

>The only absolute path reference I've found so far in the config files is for
>PIDfile, but that's commented out in all the files I've examined so far.

By the way, there is a strange line in Robust.[HG.]ini.example from
0.7.5 Release:

   ConfigDirectory = "/home/opensim/etc/Configs"

It is now:

   ConfigDirectory = "."

in 0.7.6 Release.