And the survey says...

Robert Klein
I attended a lecture in SL today and here is a slide that was shown from a survey that was conducted. I hope you might find some value in it, particularly more people plan on using OpenSim over the next two years than SL. :)

Re: And the survey says...

Frisby, Adam
I'm more interested by the 'using now' stat. If I'm reading that chart correctly, OpenSim is #2 on 'current deployments'.

Adam

Re: And the survey says...

James Stallings II
Indeed, and today we have good technical cause to believe that number may be on the increase :)

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm more interested by the 'using now' stat. If I'm reading that chart correctly, OpenSim is #2 on 'current deployments'.

Adam

If you would like to see all of the slides from the presentation goto:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Business%202/51/6/23

-Robert

James Stallings II wrote

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Frisby, Adam <adam@deepthink.com.au> wrote:

> I'm more interested by the 'using now' stat. If I'm reading that chart
> correctly, OpenSim is #2 on 'current deployments'.
>
> Adam

Re: And the survey says...

Kyle Hamilton
...and the core development team doesn't think that they need a
packaged product for all those deployments?

-Kyle H

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you would like to see all of the slides from the presentation goto:
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Business%202/51/6/23
>
> -Robert
>

> James Stallings II wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, and today we have good technical cause to believe that number may
>> be
>> on the increase :)
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm more interested by the 'using now' stat. If I'm reading that chart
>>> correctly, OpenSim is #2 on 'current deployments'.
>>>
>>> Adam

Re: And the survey says...

Frisby, Adam
The core team remains of the opinion, as elucidated before, that OpenSim is not a product; but a framework with some nifty defaults. If you want a packaged product, go look at 3Di/etc. who do provide one.

Adam

Re: And the survey says...

Stefan Andersson-3
Am I correct in assuming that "IBM Sametime 3D" is the product based on
OpenSim?

If so, am I correct in concluding that when adding "planning to use",
"using", "piloting" and "exploring" together, OpenSim and OpenSim-based
offshoots are roughly on par with Second Life(tm)?

/Stefan

Dr Scofield
James Stallings II wrote:
Indeed, and today we have good technical cause to believe that number may be on the increase :)
also: IBM Sametime 3D is really OpenSim as well (at least with regards to the VW technology).

    DrS/dirk

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm more interested by the 'using now' stat. If I'm reading that chart correctly, OpenSim is #2 on 'current deployments'.

Adam

dr dirk husemann ---- math & computer science ---- ibm zurich research lab
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/
SL: [hidden email] --------------------- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: And the survey says...

Dr Scofield
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that "IBM Sametime 3D" is the product based on
OpenSim?

yes.
If so, am I correct in concluding that when adding "planning to use",
"using", "piloting" and "exploring" together, OpenSim and OpenSim-based
offshoots are roughly on par with Second Life(tm)?

exactly my thoughts...
/Stefan