Announcing the Parallel Selves Message Bridge

Announcing the Parallel Selves Message Bridge

justincc
Hi folks,

I've just stuck up a new module called the Parallel Selves Message Bridge on the OpenSimulator forge at

http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/psimb/

Direct download link is

http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/download/frsrelease/161/377/PSMessageBridge-0.1.0.zip

This region module allows you to exchange IMs with people on your friends list in another Second Life compatible system
from within your own OpenSim standalone system (NOTE: this does not work on grid systems).  This exchange is done using
the standard IM user interface within the viewer.

As such, it's something of a hack, since it uses libsecondlife/libomv under the covers to log in your parallel avatar to
the target system so that it can use that to relay messages.  However, it could be quite useful in certain situations,
such as when you're working in immersive full screen on building something in an OpenSim standalone but you still want
to be able to talk to people on another grid without having to swap windows.

Although I've had this working for a while now, please be aware that I consider it alpha code.  Using the bridge should
be no more risky than any other application that uses libsecondlife/libomv but I disclaim any loss/damage that occurs
through using it :).  A base OpenSim build of r8214 or higher is required to use it (which unfortunately rules out 0.6.2).

I'll probably put a post on my blog with a few more details about this soon.

The code is BSD licensed and contributions/feedback are most welcome (there are forums and a tracker on the forge psmb
page).

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Announcing the Parallel Selves Message Bridge

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
This sounds great :) so i dont need second inventory anymore to chat with
friends there ( or is SL not a compatible system ) ?

Best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

StefanL wrote:
> This sounds great :) so i dont need second inventory anymore to chat with
> friends there ( or is SL not a compatible system ) ?

SL is a compatible system (the target system only needs to be a Second Life environment, not necessarily an OpenSim one.

One major disadvantage is that this only works if you're within an OpenSim standalone instance (you can't be in a region
on a grid).  I think this could be overcome to some extent but it's always going to be imperfect (you couldn't travel to
another region server and maintain your connection to the target system).  The overcoming part also involves a fair bit
of extra work :).

A better solution would be some kind of IM gateway to swap messages between systems directly but I don't know when this
would actually come along (I vaguely recall there may have been some Architecture Working Group discussion on that).

> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise

Robert Klein
Justin I updated my simulator just now and did the three steps in your README.txt file and when I run my simulator up I get the following error:
14:10:07 - [PS MESSAGE BRIDGE]: The IM module must be set to be the PSInstantMessageModule for the parallel selves message bridge to work.  You can do this by setting InstantMessageModule = PSInstantMessageModule in the [Messaging] section of OpenSim.ini.  Disabling message bridge module.

I put the line in the Messaging section so don't know why it throws that error. Also when I try to login to my sim the viewer crashes.

-Robert

Justin Clark-Casey wrote

Robert Klein wrote:
> Justin I updated my simulator just now and did the three steps in your
> README.txt file and when I run my simulator up I get the following error:
> 14:10:07 - [PS MESSAGE BRIDGE]: The IM module must be set to be the
> PSInstantMessageModule for the parallel selves message bridge to work.  You
> can do this by setting InstantMessageModule = PSInstantMessageModule in the
> [Messaging] section of OpenSim.ini.  Disabling message bridge module.
>
> I put the line in the Messaging section so don't know why it throws that
> error. Also when I try to login to my sim the viewer crashes.

Could you open a bug for this in

http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/psimb/tracker/

and post your OpenSim.ini file (with any sensitive bits redacted?).  I think this is better handled over there.

Regards,

Justin

> -Robert
>

> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>> StefanL wrote:
>>> This sounds great :) so i dont need second inventory anymore to chat with
>>> friends there ( or is SL not a compatible system ) ?
>> SL is a compatible system (the target system only needs to be a Second
>> Life environment, not necessarily an OpenSim one.
>>
>> One major disadvantage is that this only works if you're within an OpenSim
>> standalone instance (you can't be in a region
>> on a grid).  I think this could be overcome to some extent but it's always
>> going to be imperfect (you couldn't travel to
>> another region server and maintain your connection to the target system).
>> The overcoming part also involves a fair bit
>> of extra work :).
>>
>> A better solution would be some kind of IM gateway to swap messages
>> between systems directly but I don't know when this
>> would actually come along (I vaguely recall there may have been some
>> Architecture Working Group discussion on that).
>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Wordfromthe Wise

Justin, okay done and done.

Justin Clark-Casey wrote

Justin

Re: Announcing the Parallel Selves Message Bridge

Robert Klein
Everyone this is sooo cool! It works perfectly and for more info go to http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/psimb/

Way to go Justin!!!

Peace,