Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

12

Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

aiaustin
I have an annoying person

    [hidden email]:8012

who arrived by Hypergrid on Openvue grid and created objects that
seem to be right at the edge of each region...  their positions show
as X= 257.62491 for example which I would think is not permitted. So
he must be using an exploit.

This means the objects are also not respecting the auto-return
setting (5 minutes) or shwoign in about land so cannot easily be
returned or deleted.

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS/2013-12-17-Spammer-Jack-Marioline-Sanctuary-Homelinux.Org.jpg

Anyone seen this silly person around (2 day old avatar so I guess its
someone creating new avatars as they get banned) and why does this
exploit work?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

R.Gunther
Well i understand you have rezz for all enabled ? Thats asking for problems.
Maby the object is linked to othe object inside the sim. but maby it use
a different name as creator, its common trick that is used in SL to.
Onloy not sure how it culd get outside the sim.

you can you the console command to return prims that are outside the sim.
I forgot the command right now.  its something like "delete prims
outside" something in that direction.

On 2013-12-17 21:45, Ai Austin wrote:

> I have an annoying person
>
>    [hidden email]:8012
>
> who arrived by Hypergrid on Openvue grid and created objects that seem
> to be right at the edge of each region...  their positions show as X=
> 257.62491 for example which I would think is not permitted. So he must
> be using an exploit.
>
> This means the objects are also not respecting the auto-return setting
> (5 minutes) or shwoign in about land so cannot easily be returned or
> deleted.
>
> http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS/2013-12-17-Spammer-Jack-Marioline-Sanctuary-Homelinux.Org.jpg
>

> Anyone seen this silly person around (2 day old avatar so I guess its
> someone creating new avatars as they get banned) and why does this
> exploit work?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Ashton Nobilis
The user Jack Marioline, along with a few aliases, is an infamous hypergridding griefer.  We've enjoyed his company at Littlefield Grid, at least for a few minutes.  In fact, this wiki page specifically addresses how to get rid of him:

As for the objects, I believe if objects are not in the 256x256m are of a region then they will not be autoreturned.  However, objects are easily placed offsim.  The best way to get rid of them is to do a 'delete object outside'.

After banning him by name and MAC, I would also suggest banning the Vodafone Italy netblock.  Problem solved.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an annoying person

   Jack.Marioline@sanctuary.homelinux.org:8012

who arrived by Hypergrid on Openvue grid and created objects that seem to be right at the edge of each region...  their positions show as X= 257.62491 for example which I would think is not permitted. So he must be using an exploit.

This means the objects are also not respecting the auto-return setting (5 minutes) or shwoign in about land so cannot easily be returned or deleted.

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS/2013-12-17-Spammer-Jack-Marioline-Sanctuary-Homelinux.Org.jpg

Anyone seen this silly person around (2 day old avatar so I guess its someone creating new avatars as they get banned) and why does this exploit work?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Thanks for the advice folks.  A pain these guys eh!

Ashton... yes we usually have 5 minutes autoreturn on our regions as
we like to be friendly to let people unpack boxes... but as things
develop I guess we will as usual have to make restrictions for all
for the few low lives that are around.

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Chris Hart-3
I recognize the name from ReactionGrid days - we used to get griefed by
him quite often a couple of years ago - lots of large physical spheres
that would roll over sim borders and cause a nightmare on the console. We
ended up clearing them via the database (prims with his ID as creator
shouldn¹t be impossible to find) and by admins in god mode taking them
into their own inventory.

Good luck!

On 12/17/13, 3:45 PM, "Ai Austin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have an annoying person
>
>    [hidden email]:8012
>
>who arrived by Hypergrid on Openvue grid and created objects that
>seem to be right at the edge of each region...  their positions show
>as X= 257.62491 for example which I would think is not permitted. So
>he must be using an exploit.
>
>This means the objects are also not respecting the auto-return
>setting (5 minutes) or shwoign in about land so cannot easily be
>returned or deleted.
>
>http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS/2013-12-17-Spammer-Jack-Mario
>line-Sanctuary-Homelinux.Org.jpg
>
>Anyone seen this silly person around (2 day old avatar so I guess its
>someone creating new avatars as they get banned) and why does this
>exploit work?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Fred Folkerts
I have had a visitor too: Jack.Marioline @sanctuary.homelinux.org Maandag 16, 2013 om: 20:03:23
As far as I could see he did no harm

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

David Saunders-2
It actually sounds like the physic engine let it move off the region edge.

I find this happens allot in bullet enabled sims.  If I remember right the console command will return those objects unlike the parcel return. I am still playing around with removing them, we get people running objects the regions allot.

Now how to band griefers, that the hard part. You can band the avatars by name or home grid. But Most of those grids are open grids and teh person can just create a new avatar and come back.  Blocking IPs and MAc addresses, you see how well it worked on SL :) In todays age, most of the IPs in the US are dynamic and you would have to block the block. Well how would you like to be the friendly avatar who shares the same IP space with him?

The only thing you can be  vigilant and learn what tools you have to use.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks.  A pain these guys eh!

Ashton... yes we usually have 5 minutes autoreturn on our regions as we like to be friendly to let people unpack boxes... but as things develop I guess we will as usual have to make restrictions for all for the few low lives that are around.

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
He paid a visit to my grid also and was able to fill it with objects despite my 1 minute autoreturn.  However none of them were on region boundaries and I was able to get rid of them using About Land.  I'm not using Bullet.

The main problem for me other than having to clean up the mess was that my users weren't able to get to my hypergrid teleporters.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

M.E. Verhagen
What is needed to protect our grids agains these griever ?

The griever seem to travel around, looking for sims to can do their grieving.
Some online service perhaps wich gives info about the griever and how to succesfull block the griever ?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Nick Zwart
Can osKickAvatar be of any help? As long as he is not changing his name this could work?
I am not sure if that will also work with avatars that come from hypergrid. They have more than first and last name.
And the thread level is Severe
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsKickAvatar

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

I recognize the name from ReactionGrid days - we used to get griefed by
him quite often a couple of years ago - lots of large physical spheres
that would roll over sim borders and cause a nightmare on the console. We
ended up clearing them via the database (prims with his ID as creator
shouldn¹t be impossible to find) and by admins in god mode taking them
into their own inventory.

Good luck!

On 12/17/13, 3:45 PM, "Ai Austin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have an annoying person
>
>    [hidden email]:8012
>
>who arrived by Hypergrid on Openvue grid and created objects that
>seem to be right at the edge of each region...  their positions show
>as X= 257.62491 for example which I would think is not permitted. So
>he must be using an exploit.
>
>This means the objects are also not respecting the auto-return
>setting (5 minutes) or shwoign in about land so cannot easily be
>returned or deleted.
>
>http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS/2013-12-17-Spammer-Jack-Mario
>line-Sanctuary-Homelinux.Org.jpg
>
>Anyone seen this silly person around (2 day old avatar so I guess its
>someone creating new avatars as they get banned) and why does this
>exploit work?

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

There seem to be a number of levels to this issue... and I wonder if
any need to be put in as Mantis issues.. maybe the devs can comment...

1. The (physical I believe) objects would have been autoreturned
automatically... but all ended up clustered around the edge of my
regions... at illegal positions (X=257 or Y=257 often).  Hence they
did not show as objects in the region list but WERE included in the
count of objects in the object count for the region.  I was able to
use "delete object outside" to get rid of these objects as others
suggested.  But this is a fundamental weakness of OpenSim that is
obviously being exploited.

2. When I thought I had tidied this all up, I found my grid data base
had grown 50% (that means many extra GB of assets as each was defined
by a "Blob") and the MySQL assets table still had 8000+ of the
griefers objects in it, and was still growing at a rate of an extra
10-20 as I watched (so some emitters must have still been inworld)
entries for assets that were not inworld... though I had deleted and
returned them.  I assume this is a garbage collection issue.  But it
meant that anyone could effectively ruin the asset server for a tidy
grid. Imaging if that were done on every OSGrid region!  I am also
unsure if I can simply delete the assets for this "CreatorID" or if
that would mess everything up.

3. When I deleted the initial objects (about 2,000) I found that the
[HG ASSETSERVICE] return mechanism was still running after 12 hours
and had not finished sending them back.  Single objects being
returned at a rate of one every 10 seconds or so!  So if hundred of
thousands of objects across a big grid were returned this could run
for days.  That is not a scalable mechanism. I have already reported
that on Mantis as http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6899

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Shaun T. Erickson
Sanctuary is my grid. I see he has created an account here, on December
15th. I have locked it now. I do know that he has many accounts around
the Metaverse and he frequently passes through my grid, via my
Blamgates, to other people's grids. I'd love to have some way of
permanently blocking him, as I do not like being associated with his
activities (also, he griefed my grid, a couple of years ago).

My apologies for his using my grid to annoy you.

-ste

On 12/18/13 4:15 AM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES wrote:

> Can osKickAvatar be of any help? As long as he is not changing his name this could work?
> I am not sure if that will also work with avatars that come from hypergrid. They have more than first and last name.
> And the thread level is Severe
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsKickAvatar
>
> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

FYI: He also created a "Pork Marioline"  account, which I have also locked.

On 12/18/13 9:49 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> Sanctuary is my grid. I see he has created an account here, on
> December 15th. I have locked it now. I do know that he has many
> accounts around the Metaverse and he frequently passes through my
> grid, via my Blamgates, to other people's grids. I'd love to have some
> way of permanently blocking him, as I do not like being associated
> with his activities (also, he griefed my grid, a couple of years ago).
>
> My apologies for his using my grid to annoy you.
>
> -ste
>
> On 12/18/13 4:15 AM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES wrote:
>> Can osKickAvatar be of any help? As long as he is not changing his
>> name this could work?
>> I am not sure if that will also work with avatars that come from
>> hypergrid. They have more than first and last name.
>> And the thread level is Severe
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsKickAvatar
>>
>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

A couple of days ago, I noticed he'd been in my grid and I added him to
my estate ban list. That I could do that, should have been a clue to me
that he had created a local account, but it didn't (I plead the fact
that I've been sick for three weeks). Apparently he didn't like that, as
he created that "Pork Marioline" account the next day. I just logged
into my grid and I see that he has used that to take his anger out upon
me and I now have thousands of objects to clean up.

Sigh.

-ste

On 12/18/13 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> FYI: He also created a "Pork Marioline"  account, which I have also
> locked.
>
> On 12/18/13 9:49 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>> Sanctuary is my grid. I see he has created an account here, on
>> December 15th. I have locked it now. I do know that he has many
>> accounts around the Metaverse and he frequently passes through my
>> grid, via my Blamgates, to other people's grids. I'd love to have
>> some way of permanently blocking him, as I do not like being
>> associated with his activities (also, he griefed my grid, a couple of
>> years ago).
>>
>> My apologies for his using my grid to annoy you.
>>
>> -ste

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
No, they probably would not have been returned.  I had my region set for one minute autoreturn, but he was able somehow to circumvent that.  The objects were not at region boundaries, I assume because I am using ODE.  Most appeared to be physical objects that clustered in a ravine near the center of the region, and the rest were in fixed locations well within the region.  I was able to get rid of all of them using About Land, but it took a while for them all to vanish.

For me, the biggest problem was that they completely immobilized the region, preventing entry into it and blocking my users from reaching my HyperGrid teleporters.

My question is, how can we prevent griefers like him from circumventing object autoreturn?  Is there a configuration setting that I'm overlooking?

aiaustin wrote

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Ashton Nobilis
This user creates a number of accounts on grids, often with "Mario" somewhere in the name.  With so many smaller grids springing up as a result of OpenSimulator's maturity as a platform, I expect that the griefing issue may increase due to grid operators being unaware of this situation.  He can be stopped by using a combination of the methods I mentioned earlier coupled with diligence from grid administrators.

Ai, I'm not a developer, but might be able to shed some light on your comments:

1 - It's not uncommon for physical objects to "hang" outside the region's boundaries.  In fact, it wasn't very long ago that was a way to reliably crash a region.  This behavior also exists/existed in SL, although it seems less of a factor there these days.  It is, however, a trivial matter to place objects whose geometric center is outside of the 256x256 area of a region in OpenSim.

2 - Yes, you have an emitter somewhere.  Deleting all objects with his UUID as creator should not be an issue.

3 - Did you delete the items, or return them?

Both you guys shouldn't worry.  A visit from this guy simply means you've hit the big time!  XD

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert L martin
what may be needed is a couple things

1 any item with a center outside the allowed range should be either
"shoved"  directly into allowed range or deleted.
2 on OS capable viewers there should be a "radar" that allows you to
see ALL items in a given region and have the following options

A delete by X where X is one of [name,owner/owner uuid,script contents]
B a script kill button
C DeCloak/Enlarge [fixing the Tiny/Twisted object problem]
D God Take

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Ashton Nobilis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This user creates a number of accounts on grids, often with "Mario"
> somewhere in the name.  With so many smaller grids springing up as a result
> of OpenSimulator's maturity as a platform, I expect that the griefing issue
> may increase due to grid operators being unaware of this situation.  He can
> be stopped by using a combination of the methods I mentioned earlier coupled
> with diligence from grid administrators.
>
> Ai, I'm not a developer, but might be able to shed some light on your
> comments:
>
> 1 - It's not uncommon for physical objects to "hang" outside the region's
> boundaries.  In fact, it wasn't very long ago that was a way to reliably
> crash a region.  This behavior also exists/existed in SL, although it seems
> less of a factor there these days.  It is, however, a trivial matter to
> place objects whose geometric center is outside of the 256x256 area of a
> region in OpenSim.
>
> 2 - Yes, you have an emitter somewhere.  Deleting all objects with his UUID
> as creator should not be an issue.
>
> 3 - Did you delete the items, or return them?
>
> Both you guys shouldn't worry.  A visit from this guy simply means you've
> hit the big time!  XD
>

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> FYI: He also created a "Pork Marioline"  account, which I have also
>> locked.
>>

>> On 12/18/13 9:49 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>>>
>>> Sanctuary is my grid. I see he has created an account here, on December
>>> 15th. I have locked it now. I do know that he has many accounts around the
>>> Metaverse and he frequently passes through my grid, via my Blamgates, to
>>> other people's grids. I'd love to have some way of permanently blocking him,
>>> as I do not like being associated with his activities (also, he griefed my
>>> grid, a couple of years ago).
>>>
>>> My apologies for his using my grid to annoy you.
>>>
>>> -ste

Robert L Martin

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
If anyone wants to see this griefer's objects, they are currently filling the Fleep Grid landing point (fleepgrid.com:8002) in the form of physical spheres, like the ones that hit my grid. I've emailed Fleep about it.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Annoying Spammer on Openvue Grid - But why don't the objects show in abot land?

Jeff Kelley
At 2:32 PM +0000 18/12/13, Ai Austin wrote:

>  I am also unsure if I can simply delete the assets for this "CreatorID"
>or if that would mess everything up.

Not the assets but table 'prims' WHERE OwnerID = ...

Find the griefer's UUID in the 'GridUser' table.

-- Jeff

On 18/12/13 14:32, Ai Austin wrote:
> There seem to be a number of levels to this issue... and I wonder if any need to be put in as Mantis issues.. maybe the
> devs can comment...
>
> 1. The (physical I believe) objects would have been autoreturned automatically... but all ended up clustered around the
> edge of my regions... at illegal positions (X=257 or Y=257 often).  Hence they did not show as objects in the region
> list but WERE included in the count of objects in the object count for the region.  I was able to use "delete object
> outside" to get rid of these objects as others suggested.  But this is a fundamental weakness of OpenSim that is
> obviously being exploited.

Yes, either objects need to be prevented from getting to these locations or they should be considered to be in the
nearest land parcel, I would say.

> 2. When I thought I had tidied this all up, I found my grid data base had grown 50% (that means many extra GB of assets
> as each was defined by a "Blob") and the MySQL assets table still had 8000+ of the griefers objects in it, and was still
> growing at a rate of an extra 10-20 as I watched (so some emitters must have still been inworld) entries for assets that
> were not inworld... though I had deleted and returned them.  I assume this is a garbage collection issue.  But it meant
> that anyone could effectively ruin the asset server for a tidy grid. Imaging if that were done on every OSGrid region!
> I am also unsure if I can simply delete the assets for this "CreatorID" or if that would mess everything up.

You should be able simply to delete the assets if you can identify them.

But yes, this is absolutely a problem for hypergrid regions with wide-open build permissions and I'm not sure how one
can resolve it other than by restricting build perms.

There are "delete object owner ... " and "delete object creator ..." in the OpenSimulator 0.7.6 console commands if you
can identify the UUID used by the user.  I'm not sure what the easiest way to do this is for HG users currently or if
some command needs to be added.

> 3. When I deleted the initial objects (about 2,000) I found that the [HG ASSETSERVICE] return mechanism was still
> running after 12 hours and had not finished sending them back.  Single objects being returned at a rate of one every 10
> seconds or so!  So if hundred of thousands of objects across a big grid were returned this could run for days.  That is
> not a scalable mechanism. I have already reported that on Mantis as http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6899

OSVW Consulting
12