Any benefits of separating UGAIM to different servers?

Any benefits of separating UGAIM to different servers?

Michael Huntington
Hello,

Launching a new grid soon and planned to separate all parts of the UGAIM to different servers ... (5 servers + 1 mysql server).

Are there any major performance improvements from doing this? I can understand separating UGAIM and MySQL .... but will separating all parts of UGAIM also help?

The first major benefit I see is that it will be a lot easier to manage the servers separately... mainly when backing up data or isolating problems... but I'm more interested in performance gains.

Thanks!

Re: Any benefits of separating UGAIM to different servers?

Ai Austin
At 00:28 01/02/2009, Michael Huntington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Launching a new grid soon and planned to separate all parts of the UGAIM to
>different servers ... (5 servers + 1 mysql server).
>
>Are there any major performance improvements from doing this? I can
>understand separating UGAIM and MySQL .... but will separating all parts of
>UGAIM also help?

Good question Michael.. is there any advice on what might be a
suitable setup fro someone who knows how much roughly flows between
the parts, and which are best kept together?

I also was planning a new setup with a couple,of servers and would
appropriate advice on where to start.  This was my plan for 3 systems:

a) ONE powerful system for MySQL, UGAIM servers and Opensim.exe
running a single welcome region.

b) Core 10 regions we have

c) extra temporary regions, testing regions, experiments with regions
with limited availability.

My main questions would be:

1) Should I NOT put the opensim.exec and the one welcome region at
all on the core server and put it on (b) instead?

2) should MySQL be kept separate to the Opensim servers to improve
performance, or will that make it worse sue to communications overheads?