Any plans on supporting the display of web pages?

Any plans on supporting the display of web pages?

Robert Klein
I know the realxtend viewer can display web pages on a prim, but what about support for this in Hippo? Any chance of this happening in the next 3 - 6 months?

Re: Any plans on supporting the display of web pages?

Charles Krinke-3

Well, web pages on a prim are not necessarily a characteristic of the client.

What we have been doing for the last couple of years is displaying web pages on prims in OpenSim and using an external helping web site for picture formatting such as picidai.net.

There are a series of prims spread around OSGrid and the OSGrid forums have the script source. One of the prims doing web pages on a prim is on Wright Plaza and has been working reliably for over a year.

Charles

I know the realxtend viewer can display web pages on a prim, but what about
support for this in Hippo? Any chance of this happening in the next 3 - 6
months?

Re: Any plans on supporting the display of web pages?

Robert Klein
Hey Charles,
What about being able to display an actual web page in realtime like the realxtend viewer does? I have several of the static "web page on a prim" boards using picidai.net running on my company's internal opensim, but after playing with the functionality of realxtend.. well what we have in opensim does not compare. In this day and age having the ability to at least view a functioning web page in real time and see it updating is crucial to business/educational users. Being able to interact with that web page would be incredible. VNC would be cool too.

I know there are plenty of work arounds for emulating this functionality, it would be great to just have it built-in. I don't want to go the route of realxtend due to it not running on a*nix server, plus different users with different graphics cards get much different experiences.

Is anyone even working on this kind of functionality in opensim/hippo?

-Robert

Charles Krinke wrote

________________________________
I know the realxtend viewer can display web pages on a prim, but what about
support for this in Hippo? Any chance of this happening in the next 3 - 6
months?

Re: Any plans on supporting the display of web pages?

Jeroen van Veen
"I don't want to go the route of realxtend due to it not running on a*nix
server"

It does run fine on linux servers. :-)

On Friday 11 September 2009 17:43:05 Robert Klein wrote:

> Hey Charles,
> What about being able to display an actual web page in realtime like the
> realxtend viewer does? I have several of the static "web page on a prim"
> boards using picidai.net running on my company's internal opensim, but
>  after playing with the functionality of realxtend.. well what we have in
>  opensim does not compare. In this day and age having the ability to at
>  least view a functioning web page in real time and see it updating is
>  crucial to business/educational users. Being able to interact with that
>  web page would be incredible. VNC would be cool too.
>
> I know there are plenty of work arounds for emulating this functionality,
>  it would be great to just have it built-in. I don't want to go the route
>  of realxtend due to it not running on a*nix server, plus different users
>  with different graphics cards get much different experiences.
>
> Is anyone even working on this kind of functionality in opensim/hippo?
>
> -Robert
>
> Charles Krinke wrote:
> > Well, web pages on a prim are not necessarily a characteristic of the
> > client.
> >
> > What we have been doing for the last couple of years is displaying web
> > pages on prims in OpenSim and using an external helping web site for
> > picture formatting such as picidai.net.
> >
> > There are a series of prims spread around OSGrid and the OSGrid forums
> > have the script source. One of the prims doing web pages on a prim is on
> > Wright Plaza and has been working reliably for over a year.
> >
> > Charles
> >

> > ________________________________

Really? You mean under mono like OpenSim does? Never thought about that and I did not see any docs about it. Unfortunately that still leaves me with the over the top rendering requirements to really do RealXtend justice.

-Robert

Jeroen van Veen wrote
"I don't want to go the route of realxtend due to it not running on a*nix
server"

It does run fine on linux servers. :-)

On Friday 11 September 2009 17:43:05 Robert Klein wrote:
> Hey Charles,
> What about being able to display an actual web page in realtime like the
> realxtend viewer does? I have several of the static "web page on a prim"
> boards using picidai.net running on my company's internal opensim, but
>  after playing with the functionality of realxtend.. well what we have in
>  opensim does not compare. In this day and age having the ability to at
>  least view a functioning web page in real time and see it updating is
>  crucial to business/educational users. Being able to interact with that
>  web page would be incredible. VNC would be cool too.
>
> I know there are plenty of work arounds for emulating this functionality,
>  it would be great to just have it built-in. I don't want to go the route
>  of realxtend due to it not running on a*nix server, plus different users
>  with different graphics cards get much different experiences.
>
> Is anyone even working on this kind of functionality in opensim/hippo?
>
> -Robert
>
> Charles Krinke wrote:
> > Well, web pages on a prim are not necessarily a characteristic of the
> > client.
> >
> > What we have been doing for the last couple of years is displaying web
> > pages on prims in OpenSim and using an external helping web site for
> > picture formatting such as picidai.net.
> >
> > There are a series of prims spread around OSGrid and the OSGrid forums
> > have the script source. One of the prims doing web pages on a prim is on
> > Wright Plaza and has been working reliably for over a year.
> >
> > Charles

did you try the new prealpha rex viewer yet? it will sure have alot less requirements than the ll-viewer