Any thoughts on FBX and Mesh Handling

aiaustin
I wonder if anyone has put thought into handling FBX mesh in OpenSim
(or if there are rumours of whether it might be handled in SL)?

I see growing use of FBX in other tools and platforms and recently
came across a very nice (free) FBX exporter for objects in any format
(such as primitive shapes, OBJ meshes and Collada DAE meshes and
combinations of them) in Unity3D.  Our OAR Converter can take OpenSim
OAR content via Collada into Unity3D and from there it can now be now
be exported to FBX to allow OpenSim to be a part of a development
route for builds for multiple platform use.

But being able to bring (textured) FBX meshes into OpenSim rather
than converting to Collada and trying to meet the requirements for
uploading such meshes would be useful one day.

Re: Any thoughts on FBX and Mesh Handling

AJLDuarte
Hi
        It is just a file format, and 100% viewer side.
        Opensim knows nothing about collada or fbx, because all meshs are in
a special simplified SL format
        Viewers do not provide or accept anything else to/from regions.
        Similar for textures, we only see heavy jpeg2000 encoded ones, while
industry uses formats like DDS that in some cases can be decoded by gpus on
the fly.
        Again viewer side..
Ubit