Anyone else experience this?

Karen_Palen
I have been trying to isolate and analyse an edit bug for some time now.

I am finally convinced that it is really a bug and not something to do with my setup so I have submitted a mantis bug report:

0004423: Editing of linked prims attached to an Avatar skull produces strange results
Description This first appeared when editing prim hair, but produces similar results with any object that is attached to part of the head (e.g. nose, ear, mouth). After a series of edits (approx 10-15) the object (hair) becomes "phantom" and becomes invisible when edit mode is terminated. There appears to be no way to recover apart from rebuilding the object.

The actual symptoms vary, for example a pair of eyeglasses (attached to the nose) caused the AV's entire body to become invisible. The linked prims in another object was separated into the "top" prim (stayed attached to the head) while the rest of the object was moved a long way away!

The mode of the edits does not seem to matter, typically hair requires considerable "fitting" to the head to look right. This requires movement in X,Y and Z as well as rescaling.

The same problem has arisen when experimenting with hair color and texture however.

Karen

Re: Anyone else experience this?

Chris Hart
Yes I've experienced this myself - I adopted a slightly different
technique as a mild workaround.

Make a pose stand to hold the avatar still and fit the prims around the
avatar - not as attachments, just regular prims on the sim. When you're
happy that they are the right style, link, take a copy to inventory
(actually leaving a copy of the prims floating in space).

Now, rez another pose stand right next to the first (and this is where
it's handy if you can run two clients and log in a clone). Stand your
avatar on the second stand to attach the new attachments. If you can run
two clients at once, stand your clone back on the first stand. That way
you see where the attachments are supposed to go while editing the
attachment position on the avatar on stand 2, who should be wearing the
actual attachment. This should reduce the amount of adjustment that
needs to be done while attached, and reduce the frequency of the
Invisible Avatar Syndrome.

And don't forget to detach and reattach when done :)

Hope this helps,
Chris

Re: Anyone else experience this?

Karen_Palen
Thanks Chris,

Normally I do something similar, but then the object flys apart and most of it is lost in "never never land" it is hard to live with!

Hopefully it will get a high enough priority to get fixed sometime soon.

Karen