Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
I came across this clip today
And I am very excited. I imagine that if Linden Lab pulls this off well, then third party viewers will inherit this work. And opensim folks will then benefit ...
So thinking aloud here, may be by the end of the year we might see folks enjoying true immersive opensim worlds?
In passing, any latest news about Bullet engine?
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

Shaun T. Erickson
On 9/21/13 10:40 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> I came across this clip today
> http://youtu.be/kwNCU3RGruE?t=3m3s
> And I am very excited. I imagine that if Linden Lab pulls this off
> well, then third party viewers will inherit this work. And opensim
> folks will then benefit ...
Unless, of course, they license it like Havok and we can't use it.

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

M.E. Verhagen

2013/9/21 Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]>
On 9/21/13 10:40 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
I came across this clip today
http://youtu.be/kwNCU3RGruE?t=3m3s
And I am very excited. I imagine that if Linden Lab pulls this off well, then third party viewers will inherit this work. And opensim folks will then benefit ...
Unless, of course, they license it like Havok and we can't use it.

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover ZW/

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
CtrlAltStudio's viewer is only preliminary, with just basic functions.  My understanding is that third party viewer developers are all waiting to see what Linden Lab will do.  It's the 8000 pound gorilla in our little room.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

M.E. Verhagen
Yes it seems to be primairly an implementation on the viewer side for the occultus rift thing. So the opensim developers probably won't have to do anything for the rift to work.
This is not a third party developers mailing list, if you want info if viewers like firestorm will support the occultus rift device you will have to consult their forums or mailing lists.

2013/9/21 EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga <[hidden email]>
CtrlAltStudio's viewer is only preliminary, with just basic functions.  My
understanding is that third party viewer developers are all waiting to see
what Linden Lab will do.  It's the 8000 pound gorilla in our little room.

-----
 Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
 Writer, instructor, former software engineer
 Northern California
 ErikBainbridge.com
 VirtualMarin.com

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover ZW/

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

Tom Willans
There is one viewer at the alpha stage based upon firestorm.
http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer has other 3d elements as well.

Do not know if this helps. Am researching an area involving the rift now.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
+44 (0)121 288 0281
email: [hidden email]
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my mobile

On 21 Sep 2013, at 22:49, "M.E. Verhagen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes it seems to be primairly an implementation on the viewer side for the occultus rift thing. So the opensim developers probably won't have to do anything for the rift to work.
This is not a third party developers mailing list, if you want info if viewers like firestorm will support the occultus rift device you will have to consult their forums or mailing lists.

2013/9/21 EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga <[hidden email]>
CtrlAltStudio's viewer is only preliminary, with just basic functions.  My
understanding is that third party viewer developers are all waiting to see
what Linden Lab will do.  It's the 8000 pound gorilla in our little room.

-----
 Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
 Writer, instructor, former software engineer
 Northern California
 ErikBainbridge.com
 VirtualMarin.com

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   <a href="secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover">secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover ZW/

Re: Anyone has some info about viewers that support or will support oculus rift?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Thanks for all the information. Really helps me a lot. I think we will soon see that migrating into immersive 3D will drag with it a lot of functionalities from the client to the server side of things. This is probably inevitable as we will need to rethink about how to build a back end to support in an inworld UI for the Rift interface (not only for users of our virtual worlds, but also for its creators).
p.s. I will try to post to other forums and be more careful about relevance (which is difficult). but I find a lot of like minded individuals here on the opensim users list, that's why I post for conversations which may be useful.