Archives - sim on demand

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Archives - sim on demand

Ralf Haifisch
Hi all,

just a suggestion...  we see upcomming oar-archives , e.g.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

http://www.opensimworlds.com

I use those from time to time and swap oar with other user. Since I am not
always sure about "what is coming in" (prim count, scripts) I don´t use it
on my productive regions.

That is my primary purpose to use sim on demand.  :-)


If you don´t know about it, there are fresh postings on CTN:


http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/



Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Archives - sim on demand

Robert Klein
Hey Ralf,

Yeah we have been discussing oar sharing in this thread http://n2.nabble.com/What-are-some-solutions-for-oar-file-sharing--td2252065.html and it is definitely the way to go at least in the near future.

-Robert

Ralf Haifisch wrote
Hi all,

just a suggestion...  we see upcomming oar-archives , e.g.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

http://www.opensimworlds.com

I use those from time to time and swap oar with other user. Since I am not
always sure about "what is coming in" (prim count, scripts) I don´t use it
on my productive regions.

That is my primary purpose to use sim on demand.  :-)


If you don´t know about it, there are fresh postings on CTN:


http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/



Cheers,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
Opensim-users@lists.berlios.de
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Archives - sim on demand

Stefan Andersson
In reply to this post by Ralf Haifisch
Combining this with the binary asset weeding discussion, the proliferating use of exporting/importing oar is probably yet another reason to try to get compacting techniques in place asap.

As I understand it, we will come to a strange situation with either having to trust the archives asset keys, or re-create every asset with a new key - which will probably explode if people start sending oars around. (which I hope, as it's definitively a revolution in the making, on par with the hypergrid concept)
 
There's a Sha-256 calculation method in .Net that we could use to identify 'duplicate candidates' continously, and after a succesful full compare, we could just delete one of them and change the binary pointers.
 
Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:29:52 +0100
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Archives - sim on demand
>
> Hi all,
>
> just a suggestion... we see upcomming oar-archives , e.g.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives
>
> http://www.opensimworlds.com
>
> I use those from time to time and swap oar with other user. Since I am not
> always sure about "what is coming in" (prim count, scripts) I don´t use it
> on my productive regions.
>
> That is my primary purpose to use sim on demand. :-)
>
>
> If you don´t know about it, there are fresh postings on CTN:
>
>
> http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Archives - sim on demand

justincc
Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Combining this with the binary asset weeding discussion, the
> proliferating use of exporting/importing oar is probably yet another
> reason to try to get compacting techniques in place asap.
>
> As I understand it, we will come to a strange situation with either
> having to trust the archives asset keys, or re-create every asset with a
> new key - which will probably explode if people start sending oars
> around. (which I hope, as it's definitively a revolution in the making,
> on par with the hypergrid concept)

You're right.  I don't think that trusting the existing asset uuids is a good idea in the long (or medium) term, and
simply putting in duplicate assets isn't a viable solution either.

>  
> There's a Sha-256 calculation method in .Net that we could use to
> identify 'duplicate candidates' continously, and after a succesful full
> compare, we could just delete one of them and change the binary pointers.
>  
> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB
>
>  > From: [hidden email]
>  > To: [hidden email]
>  > Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:29:52 +0100
>  > Subject: [Opensim-users] Archives - sim on demand
>  >
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > just a suggestion... we see upcomming oar-archives , e.g.
>  >
>  > http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives
>  >
>  > http://www.opensimworlds.com
>  >
>  > I use those from time to time and swap oar with other user. Since I
> am not
>  > always sure about "what is coming in" (prim count, scripts) I don´t
> use it
>  > on my productive regions.
>  >
>  > That is my primary purpose to use sim on demand. :-)
>  >
>  >
>  > If you don´t know about it, there are fresh postings on CTN:
>  >
>  >
>  > http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Cheers,
>  > Ralf
>  >
>  > _______________________________________________
>  > Opensim-users mailing list
>  > [hidden email]
>  > https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Archives - sim on demand

Ralf Haifisch
In reply to this post by Ralf Haifisch
Heho,

@Robert:  yes, in know
http://n2.nabble.com/What-are-some-solutions-for-oar-file-sharing--td2252065
.html , reading the list for some months.

I thought (even with regards to Stefan) - sim on demand is a nice step, with
reads to "trusting" archives, or even if you fully trust but don´t want to
run are gion for load oar or swap them back and furth...  

It enables you to have some performant regions as needed for oar review and
(for me) was the missing puzzle piece in the oar-swapping.

Others may prefer to prepare/review the oar localy.


As soon as I find time, I will prepare the first reagions as well   :-)

And: I like the sha-256 idea !


Cheers,
Ralf
--
German opensim HowTo: http://www.ralf-haifisch.biz/Opensim%20HowTo.shtml
Cybertechnews blog: http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:57:19 +0100
From: Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Archives - sim on demand
To: <[hidden email]>
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"


Combining this with the binary asset weeding discussion, the proliferating
use of exporting/importing oar is probably yet another reason to try to get
compacting techniques in place asap.


As I understand it, we will come to a strange situation with either having
to trust the archives asset keys, or re-create every asset with a new key -
which will probably explode if people start sending oars around. (which I
hope, as it's definitively a revolution in the making, on par with the
hypergrid concept)

 

There's a Sha-256 calculation method in .Net that we could use to identify
'duplicate candidates' continously, and after a succesful full compare, we
could just delete one of them and change the binary pointers.
 
Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:29:52 +0100
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Archives - sim on demand
>
> Hi all,
>
> just a suggestion... we see upcomming oar-archives , e.g.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives
>
> http://www.opensimworlds.com
>
> I use those from time to time and swap oar with other user. Since I am not
> always sure about "what is coming in" (prim count, scripts) I don?t use it
> on my productive regions.
>
> That is my primary purpose to use sim on demand. :-)
>
>
> If you don?t know about it, there are fresh postings on CTN:
>
>
> http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users