Are unique ports required for regions on different servers in grid mode?

Are unique ports required for regions on different servers in grid mode?

Rick Anderson
Hi all,

Basic question. Are unique ports required for regions on different
servers in grid mode?

-Rick

--
Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds

Re: Are unique ports required for regions on different servers in grid mode?

R.Gunther
Depends what you mean with different servers.

-If the servers are really different computer hardware , then you can
use the same ports.

-if you run more opensim instances on the same computer hardware, then
you need different ports.

On 2012-05-31 19:35, Rick Anderson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Basic question. Are unique ports required for regions on different
> servers in grid mode?
>
> -Rick

Re: Are unique ports required for regions on different servers in grid mode?

Ken Grunke
On 5/31/2012 1:44 PM, R.Gunther wrote:

> Depends what you mean with different servers.
>
> -If the servers are really different computer hardware , then you can
> use the same ports.
>
> -if you run more opensim instances on the same computer hardware, then
> you need different ports.
>

> On 2012-05-31 19:35, Rick Anderson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Basic question. Are unique ports required for regions on different
>> servers in grid mode?

Ports must be unique within a local network. You can have more than one
network interface card in a server, each one with a unique connection,
so I assume one machine can be using the same port in each network
connection. Never had more than one NIC in a box, so I could be wrong?

Ken Grunke / Key Gruin

Re: Are unique ports required for regions on differentservers in grid mode?

Gary Beck
For the viewer to reach the correct server the 'ExternalHostName' &
'InternalPort' combination needs to resolve to a unique value.