Asset setup incorrect?

Brooks Boyd

I'm trying to get an OpenSim server running on a Fedora box, and I was able to get most of the installation complete successfully, and I can connect to the new server with a client, but when I do so, the client is showing no inventory items at all (though it does have Library items), including no shape, skin, or clothing. The avatar looks like a white gas cloud, and does have the "(Loading...)" tag under their name. Creating a skin and shape, wearing them, and editing them does nothing. I saw some troubleshooting pages about if you wear all the default items at once, the viewer makes you look like a cloud due to it thinking you're "Ruth", but in this case there are no default items, and I was trying wearing only one item at a time.

Editing the appearance of the clothing item, skin or shape shows proper rendered shapes of the avatar in the thumbnail boxes in the editing panel, so I'm guessing the mesh is in there somewhere, but not loading. Where should I look first to correct this? The only customization I made to this server setup is to use MySQL instead of SQLite. I'm using the 0.7.0.2 version of OpenSim, with the Second Life Viewer 2 client.

Brooks

Re: Asset setup incorrect?

Teravus Ovares
The most common cause of this is the avatar parts not worn with Viewer2.

To resolve the issue, Create and wear, Shape, Skin, Hair and Eyes.     You may have to also create clothes depending on the rating of the simulator and your client settings.     once you've created these in your inventory and worn them, The client will bake a texture and your avatar will appear.   Be warned.  If you don't create clothes..   you may appear nude.

Teravus

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Brooks Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Academics Discuss Mass Migration From Second Life

Ovi Chris Rouly

Re: Academics Discuss Mass Migration From Second Life

Villano, Paul Mr CIV USA TRADOC
I'm appalled at the amount of ignorance displayed in the comment section from people who just don't understand that the value of education supersedes the construction of buildings in a virtual space and that SL isn't a game; that community is the commodity.  (Hey, I should copyright that! Heh-heh)  Oh wait.  This is an open community.  Darn it. :o)  And to have some folks bring politics and personal attacks in...oy.  I guess the education community has a lot more folks to educate than just students.

Re: Academics Discuss Mass Migration From Second Life

skynetx
Interesting article, especially that discusses what has been discussed quietly. A reality, the service even with discounts linden labs is still expensive, the open environment can generate cross-applications with a more fluid sims.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ovi Chris Rouly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Skynet SilverStar
Linden Labs Solution provider

Movil: 54911-5008-5294
[hidden email]
www.Skynetsilverstar.net

(c) 2007 - 2008 Skynet SilverStar. All rights reserved. This document
and the information contained here in is proprietary and confidential.
 It may not be duplicated, redistributed, reused or displayed to any
other party without the expressed written consent of Skynet
SilverStar.

Re: Academics Discuss Mass Migration From Second Life

lamont cranston

Did anyone else find it humorous that he was venting about the concepts behind free software, while using the internet? The internet is a medium that was created by a government program and is built on free software and open standards.

(yes, Virginia, there are proprietary pieces here and there, and the majority of end clients attaching to the servers are proprietary - I am speaking of the net proper. Even Steve Ballmer admits that 60% of business servers are on Linux, and when you look at just ISPs the percentage goes way,way up. )

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Reminds me of the Interstate highway system in the USA - it was built for the Military to move tanks, but it has become the backbone of civilian commerce.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, skynetx <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting article, especially that discusses what has been discussed quietly. A reality, the service even with discounts linden labs is still expensive, the open environment can generate cross-applications with a more fluid sims.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Ovi Chris Rouly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Skynet SilverStar
Linden Labs Solution provider

Movil: 54911-5008-5294
[hidden email]
www.Skynetsilverstar.net

(c) 2007 - 2008 Skynet SilverStar. All rights reserved. This document
and the information contained here in is proprietary and confidential.
 It may not be duplicated, redistributed, reused or displayed to any
other party without the expressed written consent of Skynet
SilverStar.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: Asset setup incorrect?

On 19/10/10 14:25, Brooks Boyd wrote:
> Thanks, that worked! So, now I can see the avatar, but it still begs the
> question, why weren't default shape, skin, hair and eyes created? I see
> in the /opensim/bin/assets/ folder that there is a
> BodyPartsAssetSet/BodyPartsAssetSet.xml file and AssetSets.xml file that
> looks like it's referencing it, but those items weren't created in the
> new avatar. There's also /bin/inventory/BodyPartsLibrary/ files, and
> those weren't created in the avatar's inventory either. The only library
> items that got created were texture files. Anything I can do to rectify
> that?

Those aren't used to create a new avatar - currently no items are set up by default on stock OpenSim.

I'm rather surprised you were able to actually create those parts, since in my last test Viewer 2 would not let you wear
anything if it couldn't download your appearance in the first place.

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do yet, short of having a separate script that creates and sets appearance
for a new user (I believe this is how grids do it).  Actually, now I think about this there is some code in the XMLRPC
module that allows you to specify default body parts/clothing, but I haven't tried to use it and this would require
invoking create user via an HTTP XMLRPC call.

Hopefully these issues will be addressed sometime soon.

> Brooks
>

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The most common cause of this is the avatar parts not worn with Viewer2.
>
>     To resolve the issue, Create and wear, Shape, Skin, Hair and
>     Eyes.     You may have to also create clothes depending on the
>     rating of the simulator and your client settings.     once you've
>     created these in your inventory and worn them, The client will bake
>     a texture and your avatar will appear.   Be warned.  If you don't
>     create clothes..   you may appear nude.
>
>     Teravus
>
>     On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Brooks Boyd
>

>         I'm trying to get an OpenSim server running on a Fedora box, and
>         I was able to get most of the installation complete
>         successfully, and I can connect to the new server with a client,
>         but when I do so, the client is showing no inventory items at
>         all (though it does have Library items), including no shape,
>         skin, or clothing. The avatar looks like a white gas cloud, and
>         does have the "(Loading...)" tag under their name. Creating a
>         skin and shape, wearing them, and editing them does nothing. I
>         saw some troubleshooting pages about if you wear all the default
>         items at once, the viewer makes you look like a cloud due to it
>         thinking you're "Ruth", but in this case there are no default
>         items, and I was trying wearing only one item at a time.
>
>         Editing the appearance of the clothing item, skin or shape shows
>         proper rendered shapes of the avatar in the thumbnail boxes in
>         the editing panel, so I'm guessing the mesh is in there
>         somewhere, but not loading. Where should I look first to correct
>         this? The only customization I made to this server setup is to
>         use MySQL instead of SQLite. I'm using the 0.7.0.2 version of
>         OpenSim, with the Second Life Viewer 2 client.
>
>         Brooks

Re: Asset setup incorrect?

Mic Bowman
Some of the grid management packages create default inventories including all the appropriate appearance items. SimianGrid clones an existing avatar inventory into a class that can be loaded to pre-create a fully populated initial inventory for every avatar (including appearance settings).

Would it be that hard to do something similar for stock opensim where you distribute an IAR that would be loaded when the initial avatar is created (like a parameter to the create user functions).

--mic

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 02:45 -0400, Teravus Ovares wrote:
> The most common cause of this is the avatar parts not worn with
> Viewer2.
>
> To resolve the issue, Create and wear, Shape, Skin, Hair and Eyes.
> You may have to also create clothes depending on the rating of the
> simulator and your client settings.     once you've created these in
> your inventory and worn them, The client will bake a texture and your
> avatar will appear.   Be warned.  If you don't create clothes..   you
> may appear nude.

And with bosoms. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256