Assets 101

12

Assets 101

Robert Klein
I downloaded the free house, office, and store from the free assets area on the wiki today and was wondering what is the proper way to import them? I can't find any documentation about the correct procedure for importing assets stored as compressed archive files. I would be more than happy to add these instructions to the wiki if someone could get me going in the right direction. Thanks!

-Robert

Re: Assets 101

Dirk Krause
Hi,

you mean these?
  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets

you basically put these next to he OpenSim.exe, and type in this command on the running OpenSim console:
  "load-oar 09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz"
(09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz being the file you downloaded and copy there as an example).
Then the region is replaced by whats in the OAR file (so you might want to backup first with save-oar)

These commands are described here:
  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands

By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free assets more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there use hollow prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is this a known issue?).

Best,
  Dirk/Barth

Re: Assets 101

Ai Austin
At 11:00 31/01/2009, "Dirk Krause" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free
>assets more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there
>use hollow prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is
>this a known issue?).

Thats true with BasicPhysics, but ODE allows hollow prims such as
rooms made with a 10m cube hollowed out) to be entered.

Asset providers may nee to provide higher prim buildings with no
hollows for BasicPhysics users and lower prim ones for ODE users.

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the load and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do they add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using those commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?

Thanks,

-Robert

Dirk Krause wrote
Hi,

you mean these?
  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets

you basically put these next to he OpenSim.exe, and type in this command on the running OpenSim console:
  "load-oar 09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz"
(09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz being the file you downloaded and copy there as an example).
Then the region is replaced by whats in the OAR file (so you might want to backup first with save-oar)

These commands are described here:
  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands

By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free assets more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there use hollow prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is this a known issue?).

Best,
  Dirk/Barth

Re: Assets 101

Mic Bowman
yes, load-oar replaces the region. i usually keep a separate 'scratch"
region that is just for moving assets when i need to.

--mic

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the load
> and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do they
> add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using those
> commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing
> freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert
>

> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you mean these?
>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets
>>
>> you basically put these next to he OpenSim.exe, and type in this command
>> on the running OpenSim console:
>>   "load-oar 09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz"
>> (09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz being the file you downloaded and copy there as
>> an example).
>> Then the region is replaced by whats in the OAR file (so you might want to
>> backup first with save-oar)
>>
>> These commands are described here:
>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands
>>
>> By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free assets
>> more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there use hollow
>> prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is this a known
>> issue?).
>>
>> Best,
>>   Dirk/Barth

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now! LOL, well I guess that is definitely a way to get stuff stored in oar files, but what about grabbing freebies from the OSgrid and importing them to a standalone? I guess that only happens when someone uploads their oar files to Free Assets? I realize this is a simple way, just seems like there should be a better way to export/import assets. Plus a wiki is not really designed to be a file storage system, it does it of course but there are better methods. Thanks for the reply Mic!

-Robert

cmickeyb wrote

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert Klein <rtkwebman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the load
> and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do they
> add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using those
> commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing
> freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert
>

> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you mean these?
>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets
>>
>> you basically put these next to he OpenSim.exe, and type in this command
>> on the running OpenSim console:
>>   "load-oar 09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz"
>> (09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz being the file you downloaded and copy there as
>> an example).
>> Then the region is replaced by whats in the OAR file (so you might want to
>> backup first with save-oar)
>>
>> These commands are described here:
>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands
>>
>> By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free assets
>> more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there use hollow
>> prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is this a known
>> issue?).
>>
>> Best,
>>   Dirk/Barth

Re: Assets 101

Mic Bowman
I guess I need to put in the plug for Cable Beach here... You know...
an Asset/Inventory Server with a web interface for (soon to be)
authenticated/authorized publishing & sharing assets across grids...
:-)

--mic

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now! LOL, well I guess that is definitely a way to get
> stuff stored in oar files, but what about grabbing freebies from the OSgrid
> and importing them to a standalone? I guess that only happens when someone
> uploads their oar files to Free Assets? I realize this is a simple way, just
> seems like there should be a better way to export/import assets. Plus a wiki
> is not really designed to be a file storage system, it does it of course but
> there are better methods. Thanks for the reply Mic!
>
> -Robert
>

> cmickeyb wrote:
>>
>> yes, load-oar replaces the region. i usually keep a separate 'scratch"
>> region that is just for moving assets when i need to.
>>
>> --mic
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the
>>> load
>>> and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do
>>> they
>>> add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using
>>> those
>>> commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing
>>> freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Robert

Re: Assets 101

Mo Hax
Cable Beach sounds very interesting. Please tell me it is an open source project. :)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess I need to put in the plug for Cable Beach here... You know...
an Asset/Inventory Server with a web interface for (soon to be)
authenticated/authorized publishing & sharing assets across grids...
:-)

--mic

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now! LOL, well I guess that is definitely a way to get
> stuff stored in oar files, but what about grabbing freebies from the OSgrid
> and importing them to a standalone? I guess that only happens when someone
> uploads their oar files to Free Assets? I realize this is a simple way, just
> seems like there should be a better way to export/import assets. Plus a wiki
> is not really designed to be a file storage system, it does it of course but
> there are better methods. Thanks for the reply Mic!
>
> -Robert
>

> cmickeyb wrote:
>>
>> yes, load-oar replaces the region. i usually keep a separate 'scratch"
>> region that is just for moving assets when i need to.
>>
>> --mic
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the
>>> load
>>> and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do
>>> they
>>> add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using
>>> those
>>> commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing
>>> freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Robert

Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Assets 101

Mic Bowman
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/assetserver/

--mic

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Mo Hax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cable Beach sounds very interesting. Please tell me it is an open source
> project. :)
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I guess I need to put in the plug for Cable Beach here... You know...
>> an Asset/Inventory Server with a web interface for (soon to be)
>> authenticated/authorized publishing & sharing assets across grids...
>> :-)
>>
>> --mic
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now! LOL, well I guess that is definitely a way
>> > to get
>> > stuff stored in oar files, but what about grabbing freebies from the
>> > OSgrid
>> > and importing them to a standalone? I guess that only happens when
>> > someone
>> > uploads their oar files to Free Assets? I realize this is a simple way,
>> > just
>> > seems like there should be a better way to export/import assets. Plus a
>> > wiki
>> > is not really designed to be a file storage system, it does it of course
>> > but
>> > there are better methods. Thanks for the reply Mic!
>> >
>> > -Robert

Ai Austin Replied:
>That's true with BasicPhysics, but ODE allows hollow prims such as
>rooms made with a 10m cube hollowed out) to be entered. Asset
>providers may need to provide higher prim buildings with no hollows
>for BasicPhysics users and lower prim ones for ODE users.

Now I think about it.. this may be more to do with the meshing
used.  If Meshmerizer is used (only available with ODE) then you can
definitely walk inside hollow prims.

Re: Assets 101

Mic Bowman wrote:
> yes, load-oar replaces the region. i usually keep a separate 'scratch"
> region that is just for moving assets when i need to.

To save further confusion I added a link to the oar information page from the free assets page.

I intend to implement an option to merge loaded oars rather than replace them soon (along with options to save only
sections of a region rather than the entire thing).

> --mic
>

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes those are the freebies I am trying to import. I am familiar with the load
>> and save oar commands but don't they replace what is on the region? Do they
>> add assets without disturbing the current content? I have been using those
>> commands to do full backup and restore my regions. What about importing
>> freebies from the OSgrid to our standalones?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Robert
>>

>> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you mean these?
>>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets
>>>
>>> you basically put these next to he OpenSim.exe, and type in this command
>>> on the running OpenSim console:
>>>   "load-oar 09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz"
>>> (09_11_08_house_oar.tar.gz being the file you downloaded and copy there as
>>> an example).
>>> Then the region is replaced by whats in the OAR file (so you might want to
>>> backup first with save-oar)
>>>
>>> These commands are described here:
>>>   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Server_Commands
>>>
>>> By the way - it's great to see that free asset page fills with free assets
>>> more and more! Having said that, note that the houses there use hollow
>>> prims as doorways, so you can't walk through them (is this a known
>>> issue?).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>   Dirk/Barth

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
Thanks Justin!

Justin Clark-Casey wrote
To save further confusion I added a link to the oar information page from the free assets page.

I intend to implement an option to merge loaded oars rather than replace them soon (along with options to save only
sections of a region rather than the entire thing).

Re: Assets 101

Sean Hennessee
Robert,

The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
access to the console.

Peace,
Sean

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Assets 101

Charles Krinke-3
Oh, you tricky devil, you.

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support
Network & Academic Computing Services
UC Irvine

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
LOL Sean, that is a great idea, but for those of us who have yet to get the whole hypergrid thing going we are kind of stuck with relying on Second Inventory or someone else making the oar files available. Hmm, if only LL would open up the SL grid for 24 hours... :)

-Robert

Sean Hennessee wrote
Robert,

The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
access to the console.

Peace,
Sean

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
Upon further reflection this could be a standard methodolgy for people who are hypergrided to pass content. Excellent opportunity to come up with a term for using this method.

So, what should we call it when someone provides a region for others to go there and grab an oar of?

-Robert

Robert Klein wrote
LOL Sean, that is a great idea, but for those of us who have yet to get the whole hypergrid thing going we are kind of stuck with relying on Second Inventory or someone else making the oar files available. Hmm, if only LL would open up the SL grid for 24 hours... :)

-Robert

Sean Hennessee wrote
Robert,

The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
access to the console.

Peace,
Sean

Re: Assets 101

Charles Krinke-3
One of the really great things we could do is have a set of oar or xml files on one or two servers with some readme and help to use them.

I am thinking of things like:

1. A basic region conducive to teaching with a landing point, small ampitheater and one or two buildings

2. Basic region conducive to artistic expression.

3. Basic house, cabin, business building, garden stuff, furniture

4. Advanced stuff with a boat, car, airplane

One thing we could do is move a regions build up in the air 100m and plan on exchanging oar or xml files where all the objects come into the region at a specified altitude to avoid merging with existing buildings.

Charles

Sean Hennessee wrote:

> Robert,
>
> The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
> connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
> of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
> can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
> access to the console.
>
> Peace,
> Sean

Re: Assets 101

Sean Hennessee
When I said "...connect a region to OSGrid..." I meant the old fashion way of starting an OpenSim.exe that connects a new blank region to OSGrid. You would not need to do any hypergridding. Since the new region you connect to OSGrid is running on your server, you would have access to the console to do save-oar's to your hearts content. Then the transfer to your own stand-alone would just be a matter of file copy and load-oar. Although, now that you mention it, doing a hypergrid region might actually make the transfer easier; that is, once you get hypergrid working.

If you're trying to get stuff from LL's grid, SI is about the only thing going.

Peace,
Sean

Sean Hennessee wrote:

Robert,

The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
access to the console.

Peace,
Sean

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support
Network & Academic Computing Services
UC Irvine

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Assets 101

Margie Baxley
Hello, I publish a Real Life Magazine, called Wings of Hope, and we cover technology articles, as well as other family and christian topics.  Anyhow, I'd like to put in an article about Opensim, but this is all new to me, so if there is anyone out there that would like to be published in a magazine, please let me know.  It would need to be at least 450 words.  Our website is wohmag.com.  Thank you.

Margie Baxley

Re: Assets 101

Stefan Andersson
aaand coming in from the flank here...

is there any other way than 'terrain download/upload' to download content to file thru the viewer?

If not, I guess that you could just supplant the terrain ul/dl with an oar dl/ul.

That is, instead of sending an 'raw' bbinary, we could sent a save-oar xml file. Provided permissions, of course.

am I correct that the client actually sends an asynch request for the data, then starts streaming it?

if so, I guess we could just do something like

a) user requests terrain ul/dl and specifies filename
b) region sends a dialog box asking "you want RAW, OAR, Log File excerpt or Save-xml2?"
c) user answers
d) region starts sending specified content, client stores it to that file

Would be quite a nifty and convenient way to work with region content given access to no console, I'd say.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB