Assets 101

12

Re: Assets 101

Sean Hennessee
Excellent idea, Stefan. +1
~Sean

Stefan Andersson wrote:
aaand coming in from the flank here...

is there any other way than 'terrain download/upload' to download content to file thru the viewer?

If not, I guess that you could just supplant the terrain ul/dl with an oar dl/ul.

That is, instead of sending an 'raw' bbinary, we could sent a save-oar xml file. Provided permissions, of course.

am I correct that the client actually sends an asynch request for the data, then starts streaming it?

if so, I guess we could just do something like

a) user requests terrain ul/dl and specifies filename
b) region sends a dialog box asking "you want RAW, OAR, Log File excerpt or Save-xml2?"
c) user answers
d) region starts sending specified content, client stores it to that file

Would be quite a nifty and convenient way to work with region content given access to no console, I'd say.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:27:24 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Assets 101

When I said "...connect a region to OSGrid..." I meant the old fashion way of starting an OpenSim.exe that connects a new blank region to OSGrid. You would not need to do any hypergridding. Since the new region you connect to OSGrid is running on your server, you would have access to the console to do save-oar's to your hearts content. Then the transfer to your own stand-alone would just be a matter of file copy and load-oar. Although, now that you mention it, doing a hypergrid region might actually make the transfer easier; that is, once you get hypergrid working.

If you're trying to get stuff from LL's grid, SI is about the only thing going.

Peace,
Sean

Robert Klein wrote:
LOL Sean, that is a great idea, but for those of us who have yet to get the
whole hypergrid thing going we are kind of stuck with relying on Second
Inventory or someone else making the oar files available. Hmm, if only LL
would open up the SL grid for 24 hours... :)

-Robert

Sean Hennessee wrote:

Robert,

The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
access to the console.

Peace,
Sean

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Assets 101

jon cundill
Hi

Just knocked together a quick and dirty prototype for this, and using the Terrain Upload/ Download for OAR files actually works quite well.

- Noticed Limitations

Viewer needs you to have .raw on the end of the filename. So you end up downloading and uploading files named house.oar.raw rather than house.oar.

Maybe the Hippo Viewer people could do something about this if this goes further.

It is slow, and little feedback is given to the user until it has completed, so the 2.4 Mb house from the Free Assets page takes around 4 mins to upload or download on a localhost standalone.

I have regions with 30Mb oar files - that would take nearly half an hour to transfer, probalby longer across the internet.

You can probably send Estate Messages with some progress indication to alleviate this.

As well as OAR files, this technique can also probably be used to upload/download R32 or BMP type terrain file formats instead of LLRAW ones - that might be useful.

If there is interest in pursuing this, and unless someone beats me to it, I'll tidy up the code and submit a patch for review

jonc

2009/2/5 Sean Hennessee <[hidden email]>
Excellent idea, Stefan. +1
~Sean

Stefan Andersson wrote:
[...]

justincc
jon cundill wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just knocked together a quick and dirty prototype for this, and using
> the Terrain Upload/ Download for OAR files actually works quite well.
>
> - Noticed Limitations
>
> Viewer needs you to have .raw on the end of the filename. So you end up
> downloading and uploading files named house.oar.raw rather than house.oar.
>
> Maybe the Hippo Viewer people could do something about this if this goes
> further.
>
> It is slow, and little feedback is given to the user until it has
> completed, so the 2.4 Mb house from the Free Assets page takes around 4
> mins to upload or download on a localhost standalone.
>
> I have regions with 30Mb oar files - that would take nearly half an hour
> to transfer, probalby longer across the internet.
>
> You can probably send Estate Messages with some progress indication to
> alleviate this.
>
> As well as OAR files, this technique can also probably be used to
> upload/download R32 or BMP type terrain file formats instead of LLRAW
> ones - that might be useful.
>
> If there is interest in pursuing this, and unless someone beats me to
> it, I'll tidy up the code and submit a patch for review

Very cool.  Could this be made purely into an OpenSim region module rather than requiring any core patch?  If the right
hooks don't yet exist to modularize this then I, for one, am happy to put them in (or process patches to do that, of
course :).  Perhaps this needs modularization of the existing raw upload/download implementation (haven't looked yet).

If the code can be modularized, then is this a core module or a forge addon?  What do people think?

> [...]
>>         Inventory or someone else making the oar files available. Hmm, if only LL
>>         would open up the SL grid for 24 hours... :)
>>
>>         -Robert
>>

>>         Sean Hennessee wrote:
>>

>>             Robert,
>>
>>             The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
>>             connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
>>             of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
>>             can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
>>             access to the console.
>>
>>             Peace,
>>             Sean
>>

>     --
>
>     Sean Hennessee
>     Central Computing Support
>     Network & Academic Computing Services
>     UC Irvine
>

>     ... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Assets 101

Stefan Andersson
+1 on your approach, Justin

it should be possible to trigger an "Terrain Download Requested" event, that is caught by the default terrain module, that should be overridable by an 'extended module', that could inject a dialog box, whose response then triggers the original events.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> [...]
> >> Inventory or someone else making the oar files available. Hmm, if only LL
> >> would open up the SL grid for 24 hours... :)
> >>
> >> -Robert
> >>

> >> Sean Hennessee wrote:
> >>

> >> Robert,
> >>
> >> The easiest way, (or at least a way), to grab assets from OSGrid is to
> >> connect a region to OSGrid, rez the assets on your region, then save-oar
> >> of your region. This will give you an OAR file of those assets that you
> >> can then upload to your stand-alone or any other region that you have
> >> access to the console.
> >>
> >> Peace,
> >> Sean
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Sean Hennessee
> > Central Computing Support
> > Network & Academic Computing Services
> > UC Irvine
> >

> > ... . .- -. / .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Robert Klein
+1 Stefan on the tool and +1 on Justin's suggestion to formalize this a bit. +1 to putting it on the forge to track and manage, going forward this might become quite a cool staple for us. Way to go everyone!!!

-Robert

Stefan Andersson wrote
+1 on your approach, Justin

Re: Assets 101

Robert Klein
Love it Charles +1 !! We started discussing this on another thread but it seems to have stagnated http://n2.nabble.com/What-are-some-solutions-for-oar-file-sharing--td2252065.html

-Robert

Charles Krinke wrote
One of the really great things we could do is have a set of oar or xml files on one or two servers with some readme and help to use them.

I am thinking of things like:

1. A basic region conducive to teaching with a landing point, small ampitheater and one or two buildings

2. Basic region conducive to artistic expression.

3. Basic house, cabin, business building, garden stuff, furniture

4. Advanced stuff with a boat, car, airplane

One thing we could do is move a regions build up in the air 100m and plan on exchanging oar or xml files where all the objects come into the region at a specified altitude to avoid merging with existing buildings.

Charles

Re: Assets 101

jon cundill
Ok

I'll set-up a forge project and work this up into a Region Module.

In the meantime if anyone wants to play I've attached my original hack to this mail as a patch .

Note, this is very much pre-alpha code, almost certainly full of bugs, guaranteed to trash you opensim install and generally ruin your life.

Only works with oar files at the moment. Trick to make this work is to strip the file extension of the filename requested to be uploaded or downloaded and see what we have left - if we still have a filename and an extension then assume OAR file upload/download rather than terrain file. So house.oar.raw will assume you want an oar file and house.raw will assume you want a raw file.

There is hardly any code needed to get this going - as Diva has mentioned in the past, the awesome module architecture the devs have put in place make it real easy to do these things in opensim

Jonc

jon cundill wrote:

> Hi
> Just knocked together a quick and dirty prototype for this, and using the
> Terrain Upload/ Download for OAR files actually works quite well.
>
> - Noticed Limitations
>
> Viewer needs you to have .raw on the end of the filename. So you end up
> downloading and uploading files named house.oar.raw rather than house.oar.
>
> Maybe the Hippo Viewer people could do something about this if this goes
> further.
>
> It is slow, and little feedback is given to the user until it has
> completed,
> so the 2.4 Mb house from the Free Assets page takes around 4 mins to
> upload
> or download on a localhost standalone.
>
> I have regions with 30Mb oar files - that would take nearly half an hour
> transfer, probalby longer across the internet.
>
> You can probably send Estate Messages with some progress indication to
> alleviate this.
>
> As well as OAR files, this technique can also probably be used to
> upload/download R32 or BMP type terrain file formats instead of LLRAW ones
> -
> that might be useful.
>
> If there is interest in pursuing this, and unless someone beats me to it,
> I'll tidy up the code and submit a patch for review
>
> jonc

UploadDownload.patch (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Assets 101

justincc
jon cundill wrote:

> Ok
>
> I'll set-up a forge project and work this up into a Region Module.
>
> In the meantime if anyone wants to play I've attached my original
> hack to this mail as a patch .
>
> Note, this is very much pre-alpha code, almost certainly full of bugs,
> guaranteed to trash you opensim install and generally ruin your life.
>
> Only works with oar files at the moment. Trick to make this work is to
> strip the file extension of the filename requested to be uploaded or
> downloaded and see what we have left - if we still have a filename and
> an extension then assume OAR file upload/download rather than terrain
> file. So house.oar.raw will assume you want an oar file and house.raw
> will assume you want a raw file.
>
> There is hardly any code needed to get this going - as Diva has
> mentioned in the past, the awesome module architecture the devs have put
> in place make it real easy to do these things in opensim

Nice stuff.  Actually you're quite lucky since the OarFileSaved event only snuck in there a week ago.

I don't know, perhaps this is a core module, perhaps it isn't.  Actually I really like the functionality in core terms
but then I'm a little biased.

We may well have more discussion on what's core/not core soonish when DrScofield starts the next phase of the Great
Renaming ;)

> Jonc
>

> 2009/2/6 Robert Klein <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>

>     Way to go Jon!!!  Maybe put this on the forge as Justin suggests
>     below? We
>     can always post updates here on the list as things progress.
>
>     -Robert
>

>     jon cundill wrote:
>      >
>      > Hi
>      > Just knocked together a quick and dirty prototype for this, and
>     using the
>      > Terrain Upload/ Download for OAR files actually works quite well.
>      >
>      > - Noticed Limitations
>      >
>      > Viewer needs you to have .raw on the end of the filename. So you
>     end up
>      > downloading and uploading files named house.oar.raw rather than
>     house.oar.
>      >
>      > Maybe the Hippo Viewer people could do something about this if
>     this goes
>      > further.
>      >
>      > It is slow, and little feedback is given to the user until it has
>      > completed,
>      > so the 2.4 Mb house from the Free Assets page takes around 4 mins to
>      > upload
>      > or download on a localhost standalone.
>      >
>      > I have regions with 30Mb oar files - that would take nearly half
>     an hour
>      > transfer, probalby longer across the internet.
>      >
>      > You can probably send Estate Messages with some progress
>     indication to
>      > alleviate this.
>      >
>      > As well as OAR files, this technique can also probably be used to
>      > upload/download R32 or BMP type terrain file formats instead of
>     LLRAW ones
>      > -
>      > that might be useful.
>      >
>      > If there is interest in pursuing this, and unless someone beats
>     me to it,
>      > I'll tidy up the code and submit a patch for review
>      >
>      > jonc
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>
>     --

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Assets 101

Stefan Andersson
Has anybody tried this feature out? Does it work?

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson

Re: Assets 101

jon cundill
Hi

As suggested in the mail thread, I tidied up the code for this feature and added it to the forge

- I haven't been back to it since Feb though, so will probably need some tweaks to get it to work against current trunk.

Main problem with this approach is the speed of the upload / download. Whilst OK for terrain files, it is _painfully_ slow for larger things like oar files, my Osgrid region took around 30 mins to transfer through this mechanism- SCP takes around 30 seconds.

jonc