Assistance with OpenSim Loads

Andrew Hughes
Hi Guys,

I was using the opensim today with 25 students on a local network and it seems as if the server side software could not even handle 25 users. I am very concerned about this as I would like to scale this up to around 500 users and build my own grid. However, it seems as if the stability of the software cannot handle that large of load (obviously) so is there a way to balance those loads between multiple servers, and if so can you run the server side software multiple times on the same windows machine and link them together? Just curious what you guys think can be a solution to this issue. Thanks!

--
Have a creative day,

Andrew M Hughes
President
Designing Digitally Inc.

-A Second Life ® Gold Solution Developer.
-A proud member of the Better Business Bureau with an overall BBB rating of A-.
-General Services Administration (GSA) IT Schedule 70 Contract Holder.
Address: 8401 Claude Thomas Rd. | Suite 23 | Franklin, OH 45005
Phone: 866-316-9126
Fax: 866-701-0029
Email: [hidden email]
Website: http://www.designingdigitally.com
Blog: http://www.designingdigitally.com/blog/
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Assistance with OpenSim Loads

Ideia Boa
Please see this: http://maxping.org/technology/platforms/open-simulator/how-prim-limits-work-.aspx

Ideia Boa

Andrew Hughes wrote:
[...]

ideiaboa.vcf (390 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: Assistance with OpenSim Loads

Andrew Hughes
Hi Ideia,

Thanks for the information.

My concern is that I need to be able to handle a load of around 800 users. My thought was to run multiple server side software continuously to balance the load. Then assign 50 users per island so that we can facilitate that many students and the load. I tried to have 25 new users on a LAN hitting one server this week and it crashed over and over. I know that we are limited in the scale of people per island/sim, however I am trying to find the best solution to building a grid that is stand alone for the school. If anyone has suggestions or would like to discuss what we could do to make this work I would greatly appreciate it. We probably will partner with someone that has experience with this and can effectively help us get this setup. I know it will be a challenge but if there is a will there has to be a way right? Or am I way wrong? lol.