AutoBackupModule configuration

Per Mint
Hello,

I can see that the AutoBackupModule is implemented and configuration options examples are in the source code and in OpenSim mantis. So I tried to cnofigure it in OpenSimDefaults.ini :

[AutoBackupModule]

AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
AutoBackup = true
AutoBackupInterval = 360
AutoBackupBusyCheck = false
AutoBackupNaming = "Time"
AutoBackupDir = "D:\Backups\OARs"
AutoBackupDilationThreshold = 0.5
AutoBackupAgentThreshold = 10

I started the region more than 6 hours (360 minutes) ago, so I should have an OAR in the specified backup dir. But there's nothing yet.

Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong ?

Thanks !
Per.

Re: AutoBackupModule configuration

InuYasha Meiji
My first thought would be is the 360 you entered supposed to be in
Seconds, Minutes or hours.  It might be in seconds since you can set up
a timer to make maps, but it is in seconds.  Maybe 360 is too short of a
time and Opensim is ignoring your request for OARs every 360 seconds.
Or it is in hours and 360 hours haven't passed.  I don't really know, I
am still worried about upgrading to 7.5 since I have been hearing so
many issues lately about attachments and so on.  I don't compile my own
and have been thinking twice about getting the binary for 7.5.  I use
modules to access PHP to run my offline IMs and my groups.  Worried I
will loose their functionality in 7.5 if I instal that version now.

InuYasha.

On 3/28/2013 3:16 AM, Per Mint wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can see that the AutoBackupModule is implemented and configuration
> options examples are in the source code and in OpenSim mantis. So I
> tried to cnofigure it in OpenSimDefaults.ini :
>
> [AutoBackupModule]
>
> AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
> AutoBackup = true
> AutoBackupInterval =360
> AutoBackupBusyCheck =false
> AutoBackupNaming ="Time"
> AutoBackupDir ="D:\Backups\OARs"
> AutoBackupDilationThreshold =0.5
> AutoBackupAgentThreshold =10
>
> I started the region more than 6 hours (360 minutes) ago, so I should
> have an OAR in the specified backup dir. But there's nothing yet.
>
> Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong ?
>
> Thanks !
> Per.

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: AutoBackupModule configuration

Per Mint
Thanks InuYasha.

The timer is indeed in minutes as stated in mantis :

"* The default time (in minutes) between backups is 1440."

Also in the OpenSim log file I checked that the autobackupmodule timer is displayed to be fired every 21600000 milliseconds = 360 minutes = 6 hours.

2013/3/28 InuYasha Meiji <[hidden email]>
[...]

justincc
This code was donated a while ago but I'm not sure if it works, and no fixes have been submitted.

To be honest, though I originally put it in, I'm not sure now whether it's appropriate for core, as any backups taken by
this method except at extremely long intervals are quickly going to be enormous (unless one keeps deleting the old ones,
which would kind of negate the whole point).

I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this.

On 28/03/13 07:56, Per Mint wrote:

> Thanks InuYasha.
>
> The timer is indeed in minutes as stated in mantis :
> http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5440
>
> "* The default time (in minutes) between backups is 1440."
>
> Also in the OpenSim log file I checked that the autobackupmodule timer is displayed to be fired every 21600000
> milliseconds = 360 minutes = 6 hours.
>

> 2013/3/28 InuYasha Meiji <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     My first thought would be is the 360 you entered supposed to be in Seconds, Minutes or hours.  It might be in
>     seconds since you can set up a timer to make maps, but it is in seconds.  Maybe 360 is too short of a time and
>     Opensim is ignoring your request for OARs every 360 seconds.  Or it is in hours and 360 hours haven't passed.  I
>     don't really know, I am still worried about upgrading to 7.5 since I have been hearing so many issues lately about
>     attachments and so on.  I don't compile my own and have been thinking twice about getting the binary for 7.5.  I use
>     modules to access PHP to run my offline IMs and my groups.  Worried I will loose their functionality in 7.5 if I
>     instal that version now.
>
>     InuYasha.
>

>     On 3/28/2013 3:16 AM, Per Mint wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I can see that the AutoBackupModule is implemented and configuration options examples are in the source code and
>         in OpenSim mantis. So I tried to cnofigure it in OpenSimDefaults.ini :
>
>         [AutoBackupModule]
>
>         AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
>         AutoBackup = true
>         AutoBackupInterval =360
>         AutoBackupBusyCheck =false
>         AutoBackupNaming ="Time"
>         AutoBackupDir ="D:\Backups\OARs"
>         AutoBackupDilationThreshold =0.5
>         AutoBackupAgentThreshold =10
>
>         I started the region more than 6 hours (360 minutes) ago, so I should have an OAR in the specified backup dir.
>         But there's nothing yet.
>
>         Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong ?
>
>         Thanks !
>         Per.

>     --

OSVW Consulting

Re: AutoBackupModule configuration

Edmund Edgar-2
On 29 March 2013 11:26, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To be honest, though I originally put it in, I'm not sure now whether it's
> appropriate for core, as any backups taken by this method except at
> extremely long intervals are quickly going to be enormous (unless one keeps
> deleting the old ones, which would kind of negate the whole point).
>
> I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this.

I haven't tried this module but there might be a plausible backup
strategy based around:
1) Make the oars every x minutes.
2) Untar them.
3) Take a differential backup of the untarred files with rsnapshot or whatever.

(Obviously if the goal is to get files that have changed out to the
disk in uncompressed form every x minutes there's a lot of wasted
server work going on - not sure if there's a better way to do this...)

--
Edmund Edgar
Avatar Classroom

[hidden email]
+81 090 3912 3380
Skype: edmundedgar
Second Life: Edmund Earp
Linked In: edmundedgar
Twitter: @edmundedgar
http://www.avatarclassroom.com

Re: AutoBackupModule configuration

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
I can not compile for myself, so i tried it with the latest osgrid
distribution. It seems
it is not included there. Or it does not work as it did not make a backup.
When i do
"show modules" there is a module called " New Region Module (Non-Shared):
RegionArchiverModule "
but thats mayby a other thing.

The settings i used are:

[AutoBackupModule]
;; http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5440
AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
AutoBackup = true
AutoBackupInterval = 60
AutoBackupNaming = "sequential"
AutoBackupBusyCheck = true
AutoBackupAgentThreshold = 1

Best regards,
Wordfromthe Wise

> [...]

>         AutoBackupBusyCheck =false
>         AutoBackupNaming ="Time"
>         AutoBackupDir ="D:\Backups\OARs"
>         AutoBackupDilationThreshold =0.5
>         AutoBackupAgentThreshold =10
>
>         I started the region more than 6 hours (360 minutes) ago, so I
should have an OAR in the specified backup dir.

>         But there's nothing yet.
>
>         Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong ?
>
>         Thanks !
>         Per.

>     --

>     Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56
Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2
>     GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load
PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
>     and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
>     Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so

Marcus Llewellyn
On 3/28/2013 9:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> This code was donated a while ago but I'm not sure if it works, and no
> fixes have been submitted.
>
> To be honest, though I originally put it in, I'm not sure now whether
> it's appropriate for core, as any backups taken by this method except
> at extremely long intervals are quickly going to be enormous (unless
> one keeps deleting the old ones, which would kind of negate the whole
> point).
>
> I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this.

Personally, I prefer handling OAR backups myself through remote admin
with bash/powershell scripts scheduled via cron/task scheduler. This
allows me a great deal more flexibility than any reasonable core module
designed for the purpose would.

For example, I have a single script on one machine that runs twice a
day. It makes use of a CSV formatted file to iterate through all of my
simulators, issues the admin_save_oar command via RemoteAdmin, and then
stores them in a backup location. An ancillary script periodically
checks the dates on these OARs and removes stale ones, ultimately
preserving only one from each previous month. I use a similar strategy
for SQL dumps.

This is how I do it, and I easily imagine other people would prefer to
handle it in other ways. People are just gonna have to belly up and
automate this themselves for good maintenance, and to suit their
preferences. A core module might be an easy shortcut, and it certainly
doesn't keep people like me from doing it like I do it, but ultimately
sim operators have to get hands on at some point to do it right.

Marcus