Automating shutdown of an OS Server for Grid Setup

Automating shutdown of an OS Server for Grid Setup

Ai Austin
I have just started to get edgy about the way I am shutting down our
UGAIM and opensim.exe region servers.... I am using the script from

      http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Automating_Tasks

But this just task kills the process... so no shutdown command is
given to Opensim.exe or the UGAIM servers... and they are I assume
just "crashed"... that might not be nice, even though I check if any
users are logged on and make sure they are not before I shutdown.  I
don't want to corrupt the database and I want to ensure any
housekeeping necessary on server shutdown is properly done.

Is the Wiki recommended script for automating shut down task safe?

P.S. this page might be a good one to post a script for clearing out
the asset data base server of unreachable assets in certain service situations?

Re: Automating shutdown of an OS Server for Grid Setup

Rhian
Hi,

I've tried several ways to send a shutdown to my screen sessions running on my grid server, with mixed results.
screen -S $sessname -X eval "stuff shutdown^M"
Works best for me, (I also have a regions-service running), I check if the region went down with the above, if not:
screen -S $sessname -r -m  -X quit
And a final sweep kills the process if it still hangs after that (which happened a lot around r7000 or so).

Once the region is down, rinse and repeat for the UGAIMs... :-)

My scripting is really horrible, since it calls other scripts and nothing is really defined/documented, but it works for me. I hope these bits help a little?

Rhian