Available for consulting work and experimenting with Gittip

Available for consulting work and experimenting with Gittip

justincc
Hi folks.  I'm going to abuse my privileges as one of the admins of this list to let people know that I'm available for
new OpenSimulator-related consulting work again.  I usually work with institutions and companies but I'm happy to talk
over requirements with anybody, just give me a ping.  More information at [1]

I've also decided to try a personal sponsorship platform called Gittip.  This allows people to regularly pledge a small
amount (e.g 2 USD per week) to support an individual in the work that they do.  In my case, I would love to spend more
time making fundamental OpenSimulator bug fixes and improvements (e.g. improvements to Hypergrid or better support of
immersive technologies such as the Oculus Rift) - the kind of stuff which everybody needs or wants but nobody can
justifying paying for.

If you are interested in finding out more, then please see the blog post at [2]

[1] http://justincc.org/blog/2013/12/05/available-for-opensimulator-related-consulting-work/
[2] http://justincc.org/blog/2013/12/05/trying-gittip/

All the best,

OSVW Consulting

Re: Available for consulting work and experimenting with Gittip

James Stallings II
Shame on you JustinCC for indulging in shameless self promotion on the lists :p

Given the level of your contribution, I'd say that if anyone is entitled to subject us from time to time to such 'abuse', it's you :)

Now that I've played a bit at giving you a little hell, I'll get to the real content of my reply, which is to say I'm very excited about this gittip thing you're trying out, as I think it could prove to be a real feature incubator moving forward.

I'll be following the success or failure of that experiment closely so do keep us posted!

Thanks for all the brilliant work on opensim, I dont think you hear that enough.

Cheers for now!
James

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robin Teigland

I would love to support you!

Is it possible to get a receipt from you for my contributions.

What is the best way to do this?  One lump sum as a consulting contract?
Or periodic payments?

Hope all is well!

/Robin

On 5/12/13 22:39 PM, "Justin Clark-Casey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi folks.  I'm going to abuse my privileges as one of the admins of this
>list to let people know that I'm available for
>new OpenSimulator-related consulting work again.  I usually work with
>institutions and companies but I'm happy to talk
>over requirements with anybody, just give me a ping.  More information at
>[1]
>
>I've also decided to try a personal sponsorship platform called Gittip.
>This allows people to regularly pledge a small
>amount (e.g 2 USD per week) to support an individual in the work that
>they do.  In my case, I would love to spend more
>time making fundamental OpenSimulator bug fixes and improvements (e.g.
>improvements to Hypergrid or better support of
>immersive technologies such as the Oculus Rift) - the kind of stuff which
>everybody needs or wants but nobody can
>justifying paying for.
>
>If you are interested in finding out more, then please see the blog post
>at [2]
>
>[1]
>http://justincc.org/blog/2013/12/05/available-for-opensimulator-related-co
>nsulting-work/
>[2] http://justincc.org/blog/2013/12/05/trying-gittip/
>
>All the best,
>
>--
>Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>OSVW Consulting
>http://justincc.org
>http://twitter.com/justincc

Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

gstapltn
Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or
tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into
our OpenSim based grid?

All the best,

Jerry

====================================
Gerald R. Stapleton
Director for Distance Education
Department of Medical Education
UIC College of Medicine
Email:  [hidden email]
Phone:  312-355-3716

http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
http://www.newworldclinician.com

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

hack13
This should work for you, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fb2LP1n-Lk
it is for SecondLife but the process is identical.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or tutorial on
> importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into our OpenSim based
> grid?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jerry
>
> ====================================
> Gerald R. Stapleton
> Director for Distance Education
> Department of Medical Education
> UIC College of Medicine
> Email:  [hidden email]
> Phone:  312-355-3716
>
> http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
> http://www.newworldclinician.com

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

Robert L martin
last time i checked the LL stuff on doing the import/upload was
decently written but

1 In DAE format??
2 not HUGE/Very High Poly??
3 most Mesh enabled viewers will have an entry with the other upload
asset options

Now one Fiddly bit is getting the rigging correct for Avatars

does anybody have a good link to the details??

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or tutorial on
> importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into our OpenSim based
> grid?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jerry
>
> ====================================
> Gerald R. Stapleton
> Director for Distance Education
> Department of Medical Education
> UIC College of Medicine
> Email:  [hidden email]
> Phone:  312-355-3716
>
> http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
> http://www.newworldclinician.com

Robert L Martin

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

Chris Daley

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats:  NONE

Hey Jerry,

I don't have a guide handy, but here's a quick response:
  1. Install the appropriate FBX plug-in for Maya from Autodesk (if I recall correctly, it allows you to export meshes as DAE): http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694994
  2. Follow clean mesh development processes (keeping your geometry clean, deleting your history, etc.), then export your object as a DAE.
  3. If you want to export multiple meshes such that, when imported to OpenSim, they are a set of linked objects: (i) select the meshes, (ii) group them, (iii) open the Outliner, (iv) select just the group node in the hierarchy, and (v) export the group node as a DAE (and ignore the "null" error message that appears upon export).

I can troubleshoot some particular issues with imported meshes, as well (blurry textures, takes forever to calculate weights & fees, etc.).  Please feel free to reach out to me, and best of luck. :)

Thanks,

Chris Daley
Simulation Developer
Simudyne USA Inc.
3463 State Street, Suite 430, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
M / +1 617 800 0625
Confidentiality Note:  See full disclaimer and details here.

On 2/6/2014 3:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into our OpenSim based grid?

All the best,

Jerry

====================================
Gerald R. Stapleton
Director for Distance Education
Department of Medical Education
UIC College of Medicine
Email:  [hidden email]
Phone:  312-355-3716

http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
http://www.newworldclinician.com

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello Jerry,
Just a few links of the ones I have came across
Most recent ones here
older ones
there are good tips here

Ramesh

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into our OpenSim based grid?

All the best,

Jerry

====================================
Gerald R. Stapleton
Director for Distance Education
Department of Medical Education
UIC College of Medicine
Email:  [hidden email]
Phone:  <a href="tel:312-355-3716" value="+13123553716" target="_blank">312-355-3716

http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
http://www.newworldclinician.com

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

hack13
secondlife official wiki docs:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Maya_Basic_Intro_Tutorial

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Robert Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> last time i checked the LL stuff on doing the import/upload was
> decently written but
>
> 1 In DAE format??
> 2 not HUGE/Very High Poly??
> 3 most Mesh enabled viewers will have an entry with the other upload
> asset options
>
> Now one Fiddly bit is getting the rigging correct for Avatars
>
> does anybody have a good link to the details??
>
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or tutorial on
>> importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into our OpenSim based
>> grid?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> ====================================
>> Gerald R. Stapleton
>> Director for Distance Education
>> Department of Medical Education
>> UIC College of Medicine
>> Email:  [hidden email]
>> Phone:  312-355-3716
>>
>> http://eLearn.com.uic.edu
>> http://www.newworldclinician.com

> Robert L Martin

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
And this is the first place I got info from when I started

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

gstapltn
Ramesh, Robert, Tim, Chris, et al,

This list is a truly amazing group of people.  Thank you all for coming
to my aid.  Your recommendations and tips are much appreciated.

All the best,

Jerry

====================================

On 2/6/2014 2:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or
> tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into
> our OpenSim based grid?
>
> All the best,
>
> Jerry

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Just a few 'nooby tips' from my experience as an amateur modeler running into all kinds of troubles with collada objects. The few main ones that hit me regularly ...
1. When given the choice, try to generate one uv map for a given mesh instead of a bunch of high resolution textures that you will have to import separately and then re-texture inworld
2. If you have a complex mesh and the importer is not liking it, try minimizing physics to the lowest level possible
3. If the collada object appears to have errors, try exporting to 3ds, re-import and then re-export as collada (seems to have cleaned up some of my problems)
4. If collada object snaps to a large size on re-sizing ... try to find the smallest part of the mesh (if it is linked), unlink it ...resize the rest ...
5. Sometimes a collada obj is not imported because the importer is fine with the mesh but does not like the textures ... retry without textures, and play around (experiment with resizing etc) with the textures on their own in gimp and see if they are imported on their own ...
6. Sometimes objects render well in 3d editors even if they have single sided surfaces ... this may not be the case after import in opensim, I need to either flip surfaces, or turn single surfaces into two-sided ones and re-texture, then re-import ... often happens with glass, flower, foliage models
7. before clicking on the import button, make sure you check appearance at various LODs ... if you go by the default ones, it may not be optimal. You may find mesh objects looking very low poly unless you come very close and they pop into higher poly ...suddenly.
8. Rule of thumb for me is to keep mesh size under 20 MB.
Note that any of the above may be outdated or wrong ... but I used them to coerce my stuff into opensim.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Gerald Stapleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ramesh, Robert, Tim, Chris, et al,

This list is a truly amazing group of people.  Thank you all for coming to my aid.  Your recommendations and tips are much appreciated.

All the best,

Jerry

====================================

On 2/6/2014 2:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or
tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into
our OpenSim based grid?

All the best,

Jerry

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Where can I find a tutorial on importing mesh objects into OpenSim?

R.Gunther
one important thing. opensim dont work compleet like sl.
\in my case it seems safer to not press "analyze" or things break and i
cant upload.

On 2014-02-06 22:30, Gerald Stapleton wrote:

> Ramesh, Robert, Tim, Chris, et al,
>
> This list is a truly amazing group of people.  Thank you all for
> coming to my aid.  Your recommendations and tips are much appreciated.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jerry
>
> ====================================
>
> On 2/6/2014 2:39 PM, Gerald Stapleton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can find a guide or
>> tutorial on importing mesh objects we have created using Maya 3D into
>> our OpenSim based grid?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jerry

Re: Available for consulting work and experimenting with Gittip

Hey Robin.  That's really kind of you.

However, I hope very soon to be in a reasonably long term university contract which should allow me to spend more time
on core metaverse issues beyond my minimum of 1 day per week.  So donations should be less important to sustain my work
- I may well end up redirecting them to support other people's Metaverse work.  Of course, all that changes again once a
contract ends - an issue with the patronage model :)

If you do still want to donate, though, I must admit that periodic payments make me feel a bit more secure, which is why
I went for the gittip model.  How realistic this is in general I don't know yet.

I would be very happy to give you a receipt as a UK sole trader if we frame this as a consulting contract.  Of course,
this would be a somewhat unusual kind of contract.

All the best,

Justin

On 06/02/14 14:08, Robin Teigland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would love to support you!
>
> Is it possible to get a receipt from you for my contributions.
>
> What is the best way to do this?  One lump sum as a consulting contract?
> Or periodic payments?
>
> Hope all is well!
>
> /Robin
>
> On 5/12/13 22:39 PM, "Justin Clark-Casey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.  I'm going to abuse my privileges as one of the admins of this
>> list to let people know that I'm available for
>> new OpenSimulator-related consulting work again.  I usually work with
>> institutions and companies but I'm happy to talk
>> over requirements with anybody, just give me a ping.  More information at
>> [1]
>>
>> I've also decided to try a personal sponsorship platform called Gittip.
>> This allows people to regularly pledge a small
>> amount (e.g 2 USD per week) to support an individual in the work that
>> they do.  In my case, I would love to spend more
>> time making fundamental OpenSimulator bug fixes and improvements (e.g.
>> improvements to Hypergrid or better support of
>> immersive technologies such as the Oculus Rift) - the kind of stuff which
>> everybody needs or wants but nobody can
>> justifying paying for.
>>
>> If you are interested in finding out more, then please see the blog post
>> at [2]
>>
>> [1]
>> http://justincc.org/blog/2013/12/05/available-for-opensimulator-related-co
>> nsulting-work/