Avatar does not stand directly on a prim

Avatar does not stand directly on a prim

Robert Klein
Hey Everyone,

First of all thanks for the great response to the streaming video question I posted last month; it really helped to solve some of my media issues.

Secondly, my avatar can not stand on a prim but seems to be about 2-3 meters above it. Is there a way to adjust the distance? Looks kind of strange. The avatar stands on the ground perfectly, that is, not ankle deep or floating above. Thanks!

Running Ubuntu 8.10 and OpenSim r8005

Re: Avatar does not stand directly on a prim

Robert Klein
I was wondering if anyone had  input as to why this is happening? I seem to be standing above objects rather than on them. Driving me crazy.

-Robert

Robert Klein wrote
Hey Everyone,

First of all thanks for the great response to the streaming video question I
posted last month; it really helped to solve some of my media issues.

Secondly, my avatar can not stand on a prim but seems to be about 2-3 meters
above it. Is there a way to adjust the distance? Looks kind of strange. The
avatar stands on the ground perfectly, that is, not ankle deep or floating
above. Thanks!

Running Ubuntu 8.10 and OpenSim r8005

Compare Bohemia Interactive and OpenSim-plus-viewer

Ovi Chris Rouly
Fellow OpenSim users,

I have recently been confronted by some of my colleagues
who have proposed my research team and I make a switch
from OpenSim-plus-Viewer to the Bohemia Interactive
product line in the context of non-military-based, academic,
anthropological research.

Do any of you have experience "comparing" the performance
of both software environments?  If so, would you be able to
offer first hand details and concrete references as to what
made either software better/worse, more reconfigurable,
faster/slower, etc, etc?

Best regards, and thanks.

Chris

Re: Compare Bohemia Interactive and OpenSim-plus-viewer

Charles Krinke-3
Well, obviously this group would suggest the bohemia group use OpenSim in much the same manner the croquet folks would suggest anyone using OpenSim use Croquet.

I have not heard anyone mention Bohemia on this list before so dont know anything about it.

All I can tell you is that we have a robust and active development team and are moving forward faster then any commercial company I have even been associated with, and I have been doing this since 1968.

Charles

Re: Compare Bohemia Interactive and OpenSim-plus-viewer

Robert Klein
Hey Chris,

You pose an interesting question. I would assume most of us came from Second Life (SL) and after experiencing the potential therein decided we needed "more". SL for better or worse is setting a standard for metaverses. Since the code source SL is based on was freely available and the large scale viability had been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt,,, well OpenSim was born. This is really my take on the whole thing and anyone else can chime in to elaborate. Anyway, the potential of this project has been proven and the future is very bright, plus my gawd there is an incredibly talented/dedicated group of people surrounding OpenSim and like Charles stated I have never seen such a fast moving development effort. Fast, mature, and responsible just to name a few. Bohemia looks interesting but in my own humble opinion represents an environment we can't "adjust" to our needs and is not infinitely expandable and I would imagine reverse engineering any part of their product would be a huge no no. :)

-Robert

Charles Krinke wrote

________________________________

Re: Avatar does not stand directly on a prim

Ai Austin
At 11:00 25/01/2009, [hidden email] wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had  input as to why this is happening? I seem to
>be standing above objects rather than on them. Driving me crazy.

I have also noticed that when I rezz objects from inventory onto
another prim surface that the object is rezzed at the Z centre of
that existing in-world object.. meaning it disappears inside
it.  Unless you know to look by selecting a box it can be in there
forever and unseen!  Should I report that on mantis, or is it a known issue?

Re: Avatar does not stand directly on a prim

justincc
Ai Austin wrote:

> At 11:00 25/01/2009, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone had  input as to why this is happening? I seem to
>> be standing above objects rather than on them. Driving me crazy.
>

> I have also noticed that when I rezz objects from inventory onto
> another prim surface that the object is rezzed at the Z centre of
> that existing in-world object.. meaning it disappears inside
> it.  Unless you know to look by selecting a box it can be in there
> forever and unseen!  Should I report that on mantis, or is it a known issue?

In general, I would say that the best thing to do in these situations is to search Mantis for existing text on this
issue.  If it isn't there and the problem really is a bug rather than a feature request then just open another report.

Just to note, missing features from the Linden Labs Second Life viewer (e.g. groups support), are considered feature
requests rather than bugs - these shouldn't go in the mantis.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com