Avatar movement while falling

dogwomble
Hey all,

I thought i'd pose this question here because it's really causing me to
scratch my head.

I'm running in OpenSim 0.7.5 with the ODE physics engine.  I'm working on
a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling.  At the
moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
straight down.

I have had the same results with a different viewer, so it doesn't seem to
be an issue with any particular viewer.  I also get the effect I want
using the "other" grid.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want.  I've
considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.

Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

Melanie
Scripting it is the proper way to do this.

- Melanie

On 05/07/2013 12:10, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I thought i'd pose this question here because it's really causing me to
> scratch my head.
>
> I'm running in OpenSim 0.7.5 with the ODE physics engine.  I'm working on
> a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
> the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling.  At the
> moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
> have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
> straight down.
>
> I have had the same results with a different viewer, so it doesn't seem to
> be an issue with any particular viewer.  I also get the effect I want
> using the "other" grid.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
> past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want.  I've
> considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
> movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.
>
> Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

Sarge Misfit
I've always been able to 'glide' using the arrow keys while falling, but it is a bit difficult to notice while you are doing so, especially at high elevation (you can't see the ground). I do use Mouselook, though, and I look towards where I'm falling to guide myself.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scripting it is the proper way to do this.

- Melanie

On 05/07/2013 12:10, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I thought i'd pose this question here because it's really causing me to
> scratch my head.
>
> I'm running in OpenSim 0.7.5 with the ODE physics engine.  I'm working on
> a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
> the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling.  At the
> moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
> have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
> straight down.
>
> I have had the same results with a different viewer, so it doesn't seem to
> be an issue with any particular viewer.  I also get the effect I want
> using the "other" grid.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
> past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want.  I've
> considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
> movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.
>
> Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

R.Gunther
Just done a quick test with 0.7.6dev bulletsim from 3000 meters and it works same as in sl.
When your falling down you can slowly navigate the avatar over the sim when still falling.
I see that on the minimap. SO. on 0.7.6dev version i use with bulletsim it works fine.

On 2013-07-05 15:07, Sarge Misfit wrote:
I've always been able to 'glide' using the arrow keys while falling, but it is a bit difficult to notice while you are doing so, especially at high elevation (you can't see the ground). I do use Mouselook, though, and I look towards where I'm falling to guide myself.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scripting it is the proper way to do this.

- Melanie

On 05/07/2013 12:10, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I thought i'd pose this question here because it's really causing me to
> scratch my head.
>
> I'm running in OpenSim 0.7.5 with the ODE physics engine.  I'm working on
> a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
> the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling.  At the
> moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
> have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
> straight down.
>
> I have had the same results with a different viewer, so it doesn't seem to
> be an issue with any particular viewer.  I also get the effect I want
> using the "other" grid.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
> past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want.  I've
> considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
> movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.
>
> Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

GarminKawaguichi
This is not an issue except if you are a bird; when humans fall they
cannot move here and there :)))
As Melanie said, script (for example your parachute) and use
"llTakeControls" and "control event" and its constants (FWD, BACK, LEFT
etc...)

GCI

Le 05/07/2013 12:10, [hidden email] a écrit :

> I'm working on a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
> the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling.  At the
> moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
> have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
> straight down.

> I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
> past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want.  I've
> considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
> movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.
>
> Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

Kim Minuet
LOL if I were falling I'd be looking for the UP UP UP key!

Kim

> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:20:29 +0200

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Avatar movement while falling
>
> This is not an issue except if you are a bird; when humans fall they
> cannot move here and there :)))
> As Melanie said, script (for example your parachute) and use
> "llTakeControls" and "control event" and its constants (FWD, BACK, LEFT
> etc...)
>
> GCI
>
> Le 05/07/2013 12:10, [hidden email] a écrit :
> > I'm working on a parachute-style project, which will require you to move your avatar with
> > the normal controls (eg. arrow keys) while your avatar is falling. At the
> > moment it seems that arrow keys have no effect when falling, you basically
> > have to hit the Home button to start flying otherwise you'll just fall
> > straight down.

> > I'm wondering if anyone has come across (and solved) this issue in the
> > past, and if so what is the best way to get the effect I want. I've
> > considered trying to take controls within the script and basically script
> > movement, however I'm not sure that will be the most appropriate solution.
> >
> > Hopefully we can get this sorted :)

Re: Avatar movement while falling

Storm Singer
Hey, Dogwobble,

I remember having the ability to direct where I fall, although since you have to be a certain height for it to have effect, there's a certain amount of immersion-breaking involved in the default settings. Have you tried editing your gravity strength? If you set it to three-quarters or one-half, theoretically that would make your fall slower and your directional controls stronger. Does that give you the effect you want?

- Windy Chrome

~~~
Go around! Go around!
Go around the Windmill!