Avatar texture corruption

caro t hart
Dear opensim users,
As some of you I have been experiencing "cloud avatars " ,  and I have done some investigating on what possibly is going wrong. Or at least to understand when problems occur.
This message is to share information and I hope that someone can give me hint as to what to do to tackle the problem.
There are more types of avatar issues, this one deals only with
the problem that sometimes others cannot see the avatar, but the avatar can see himself.

I am running opensim 0.7.4 in grid mode.
There are number of single region simulators in a row (A .. D)
and one with 4 adjacent-regions in 1 simulator (M1..M4).
All testing have been done with 2  standard avatars(Av1, Av2), made with the inbuild editor without using imported textures of any kind.
With the appearance troubleshooting wiki in hand I see the following happening:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AqeEhPXYSvVrdE1LeVljR3FGQjRVSHo3Q0NYb0p2aWc&output=html

When the region reports avatar textures corrupt the appearance show avatar name gives a list with all UUID's not set.
This test has been done with Zen viewer, Firestorm viewer and Imprudence. All give identical results in the console and "cloudstate" of the avatar in the viewer.

As far as I can tell:
• walking from one simulator into another the "receiving" simulator either does not get of does not handle avatar textures which leads  to "corrupt textures"
• as long as the corrupted textures avatar is in viewing range it will be visible as normal
• teleporting into a region recovers the situation as does hitting <crt><alt>r

At the moment I am at a loss as to how to deal with this issue, so it would be a great help to know:
•does anyone of you have the same problem?
does anyone know how to fix this?

Kind regards,

Caro 't Hart
Email: [hidden email]

Macaris vof
Web: www.macaris.nl

Re: Avatar texture corruption

InuYasha Meiji
I get this problem as well with 7.4. I haven't bothered to say anything
about it because I get the same problem at times when SL is extra laggy.
It always seems to be fixed with CTRL-ALT-R. and yes, TPing to another
region then back also will fix it. I am not sure if I misunderstood, but
I don't get any corrupted textures left in my database,. Not sure if you
meant permanently corrupted or just not showing for the moment?.

InuYasha.

On 2/12/2013 7:43 AM, caro t hart wrote:

> Dear opensim users,
> As some of you I have been experiencing "cloud avatars " , and I have
> done some investigating on what possibly is going wrong. Or at least
> to understand when problems occur.
> This message is to share information and I hope that someone can give
> me hint as to what to do to tackle the problem.
> There are more types of avatar issues, this one deals only with
> the problem that sometimes others cannot see the avatar, but the
> avatar can see himself.
>
> I am running opensim 0.7.4 in grid mode.
> There are number of single region simulators in a row (A .. D)
> and one with 4 adjacent-regions in 1 simulator (M1..M4).
> All testing have been done with 2 standard avatars(Av1, Av2), made
> with the inbuild editor without using imported textures of any kind.
> With the appearance troubleshooting wiki in hand I see the following
> happening:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AqeEhPXYSvVrdE1LeVljR3FGQjRVSHo3Q0NYb0p2aWc&output=html
>
> When the region reports avatar textures corrupt the appearance show
> avatar name gives a list with all UUID's not set.
> This test has been done with Zen viewer, Firestorm viewer and
> Imprudence. All give identical results in the console and "cloudstate"
> of the avatar in the viewer.
>
> As far as I can tell:
> • walking from one simulator into another the "receiving" simulator
> either does not get of does not handle avatar textures which leads to
> "corrupt textures"
> • as long as the corrupted textures avatar is in viewing range it will
> be visible as normal
> • teleporting into a region recovers the situation as does hitting
> <crt><alt>r
>
> At the moment I am at a loss as to how to deal with this issue, so it
> would be a great help to know:
> •does anyone of you have the same problem?
> •does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Caro 't Hart
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> Macaris vof
> Web: www.macaris.nl

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: Avatar texture corruption

emperorstarfinder
I have tested this on adjacent regions on our grid in an attempt to
determine why we keep seeing these types of messages fly acrossed our
consoles.  Avatar textures appear to work okay for us, however we do
see the error when uploading an oar file.  Additionally we also see
the EOC Codestream Marker is corrupted after j2kDecode throws errors
relating to textures.  This appears to happen with mesh as well though
I suspect it is because the texture hasn't been decoded previously.

The one time in the past we had the problem with the avatar textures
not rezzing I cleared out the database (not recommended if you've done
a lot of work or have a big user base and you should always backup
your database tables) and reloaded the avatar related stuff into the
database which appeared to correct our problem.

I did notice however, that some viewers do seem to take longer to rez
the avatar for the first time.  Usually this is due to inventory
fetching however it could be something with the viewer to as we've
been seeing odd behavior with viewers rezzing avatars but haven't
found the actual problem as of yet.

I tested so far on Imprudence (a viewer 1.23 version based viewer) and
Firestorm (For Opensim) which is the current viewer 3 based code and
actually found that the problem with avatars taking to long is longer
in the viewer 3 code.

Thus I would conclude that it could just be the texture file type that
j2kDecode doesn’t particularly like.  A good way to test this would be
trying avatars for example from lindakellie.com or another opensource
site to see if they work.  If they do work it would mean that there is
something with your particular avatar textures.  I have done this to
find that the image decode process seems to not like some formats
though it does ultimately decode it to the closest format it believes
to be relevant.

I am not sure if this will be of any help to you, however it might at
least give you an idea of ways to determine if it’s the textures
themselves or a larger issue.  Hopefully it would just be the textures
and not a bigger bug.

Emperor

> [...]
>> a service for testing the audio over the net, which the Echo Canyon
>> and Skype test call do, would be good too. That voice impl is quite
>> decent nowadays, is good I think that there's also an open source
>> option as well even though Vivox is good and friendly (and with Tundra
>> we don't currently have the option for Vivox anyways, might be
>> interesting if also that integration would exist but AFAIK we'll be
>> just using mumble/murmur .. there's sometimes been talk of Skype etc
>> integrations though as they also have an SDK & API nowadays).
>>
>> On 2/13/2013 8:51 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>
>>     Interesting. Unfortunately, there's no obvious switch for this in
>>     the Vivox module currently, let alone something that would be user
>>     configurable.
>>
>>     However, I would imagine that this would be the place to turn it
>>     on, maybe a channel creation parameters in
>>     VivoxVoiceModule.VivoxTryCreateChannel().  Unfortunately, I don't
>>     know if there is any public doc for the options that Vivox will
>>     accept through their API.
>>
>>     On 12/02/13 19:59, John Sheridan wrote:
>>
>>         Hi gang,
>>
>>            I just got voice setup and running with Vivox and had a
>>         quick question regarding configuration options.  Over in the
>>         evil alternate universe (SL) there's a region called Voice
>>         Echo Canyon where users can go to self adjust their own
>>         viewer voice settings. Mainly, when you speak on mic your
>>         voice is echoed back to you. Would anyone happen to know if
>>         there's an option in the Vivox module somewhere to enable a
>>         similar echo-back for an OpenSim instance?
>>
>>         Thanks, :)
>>
>>         John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
>>         Pseudospace Virtual Worlds
>>         HG (Middle): http://grid.pseudospace.net:8002/ellis
>>

>> --
>>
>>     ________________________________________________________________________
>>     Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with
>>     56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core,
>>     Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP
>>     Version 5.3.0, Apache
>>     and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
>>     Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so
>>     far).

> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:53:01 +0200
> From: Fokides Manos <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Whisper module
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is anywhere available or has anyome compiled the whisper module
> (Whisper.dll, Ice.dll, Glacier2.dll) for opensim 0.7.5?
> The dlls for the 0.7.4 version doesn't seem to work in 0.7.5 and
> opensim crashes.
>
> Thanks in advace for your replies
>
> Emmanuel Fokides
>
> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 19

Emperor Starfinder
Core Developer
Second Galaxy Development Team
http://www.secondgalaxy.com

Re: Avatar texture corruption

emperorstarfinder
I haven't seen issues when walking across region borders with avatar
textures yet in our tests.  If you have successfully rezzed the avi
once I might suggest baking the avatar textures then trying as this
could mean that the problem is with retrieving baked textures. If that
solves it then it isnt with the j2kDecoder it would be an issue with
the persistence aka retrieving of baked avatar textures would be my
guess.

I hope this helps a little.

Emperor

> [...]
>>
>> Moodle 1.9
>> Sloodle 1.2
>> Sloodle set 1.0
>
> Like Nick says, the sloodle 1 presenter uses parcel media, where you
> can only use one presentation URL per land parcel.
>
> If you're able to switch to sloodle 2, that uses shared media ("HTML
> on a prim"), which allows you to have multiple presentations on the
> same parcel.
>
> --
> Edmund Edgar
> Avatar Classroom
> Your classroom, on the web, in a virtual world.
>
> [hidden email]
> +81 090 3912 3380
> Skype: edmundedgar
> Second Life: Edmund Earp
> Linked In: edmundedgar
> Twitter: @edmundedgar
> http://www.avatarclassroom.com

> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 20

Emperor, all readers,
Thank you for the time you put in helping me figuring out what is going on.
I have tried several avatar textures as you suggested previously (including a Linda Kellie type and the default "Ruth").
I have tried this with avatars which have been in use for a longer period and new created avatars.

The problem is consistently the same and best illustated as follows:
Step 1: Log in as avatar A in opensim instance X
Control 1: Console command in instance X: appearance show avatarname
Step 2: Walk into an adjacent region  in an other opensim instance "Y" (do not bake, teleport or edit appearance!)
Control 2: Console command in instance Y: appearance show avatarname
Step 3: Log in as avatar B in either X or Y

My Result: A can see B normally, but B sees A as a cloud.

And yes, a baking action by A resolves the problem. But A does not know he is a cloud unless he is told.
Unfortunately in my setup avatars do walk around and are supposed to cross regions walking.

I can see:
in the consoles that all avatars (old new, fancy or standard) lose (or do not get) textures when walking into another opensim instance The console reports appearance corrupt.
Zen and Firestorm show a normal avatar once the other avatar has OK appearance in console, even if they walk across a boundary and the console reports corrupt. This stays true unless they walk out of visual range and return. Than they show as cloud.
If a second avatar logs in and the present avatar has previously walked across a region/sim boundary, than second avatar will see the already present avatar as a cloud. Only ctr-alt-r, appearance edit or teleport of the already present avatar resolves this.

I prefer being wrong, however at this point I do not think it is a texture problem, but a bug.
I hate filing bug reports without proper confirmation of the problem so I would very much appreciate it if the readers who are:
running in Grid mode
and have two regions adjacent to each other  running in separate opensim servers
to test step 1,2,3 and let me know what they see.

Thanks in advance,
Caro

Message: 1

Re: Avatar texture corruption

InuYasha Meiji
I ran the suggested test using half of my regions, 24 of them.  I can't
run two instances of Firestorm and my entire grid at once at least for
now.  I was foreced to hit CTRL-ALT-R at the very start. Not only have I
found your problem seems to exist, but the first avatar to log into an
instance sees itself as fine, and will see the next avatar to appear in
the same instance and region, but the new avatar takes a while to rez
and can't see the avatar that logged in just in before them.  I hit the
CTRL-ALT-R so I could start the steps before crossing the border with
two avatars that could at least see each other to begin with.  That
itself is a growing problem,  when I start to have larger groups of
visitors it will be ver bothersome.

Once I logged both avatars, my wife's as well as mine, I used the
"appearance show command", on my avatar as follows.

Region (root) # appearance show InuYasha Meiji
For InuYasha Meiji in Hantagawa
Bake Type  UUID
Head       00bc3078-6310-4aaf-afac-036fce0a31d2 (uploaded)
UpperBody  3e80b8fc-dc97-4758-a91f-97a9a59a7e7d (uploaded)
LowerBody  ff9ae32b-c198-4991-965b-2876e042c89f (uploaded)
Eyes       b8d3f618-19fb-451b-8eb7-92433e673c4f (uploaded)
Skirt      41403566-74fb-4410-8e25-36f4ba4f4962 (uploaded)
Hair       05c9335f-73fa-4370-b5e8-c4670b773cfa (uploaded)
InuYasha Meiji baked appearance texture is OK

I left my wife's avatar standing on the first instance on the region and
then walked across to the next region, nearby to the next instance and
got this result.  This time neither of us lost the other's textures.  It
could be because I rebaked before when we shared the same instance and
region.  Also I am using the same machine to log on to each of our
accounts.  Checking the "appearance show command" now, on the region and
instance I just moved onto... Different from the one my wife's avatar is
standing.  Even though in the newest Firestome v4.3.1. 31155 (opensim
version) I use, bpth see each other.  The results do show an issue. here...

Region (root) # appearance show InuYasha Meiji
For InuYasha Meiji in Shuri Village
Bake Type  UUID
Head       not set
UpperBody  not set
LowerBody  not set
Eyes       not set
Skirt      not set
Hair       not set
InuYasha Meiji baked appearance texture is corrupt
Region (root) #

I hope this test helps.

Your Friend,
InuYasha

On 2/16/2013 5:08 AM, caro t hart wrote:

> [...]
> opensim servers
> to test step 1,2,3 and let me know what they see.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Caro
>

>     Message: 1
>     Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 06:18:04 -0500
>     From: Emperor Starfinder <[hidden email]>
>     To: [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Avatar texture corruption
>
>     I haven't seen issues when walking across region borders with avatar
>     textures yet in our tests. If you have successfully rezzed the avi
>     once I might suggest baking the avatar textures then trying as this
>     could mean that the problem is with retrieving baked textures. If
>     that
>     solves it then it isnt with the j2kDecoder it would be an issue with
>     the persistence aka retrieving of baked avatar textures would be my

Luisillo Contepomi
Hello Caro,
I confirm on Grid Linux centos 20 adjacent regions, and over windows7 (64) 16 adjacent regions .
I cleaned and set the Regions Flotsam Cache sharing the same location in the hard disk. (all regions only one cache)  but .. no sucess. The problem persist.
Regards,
Luisillo

The problem is consistently the same and best illustated as follows:
Step 1: Log in as avatar A in opensim instance X
Control 1: Console command in instance X: appearance show avatarname
Step 2: Walk into an adjacent region  in an other opensim instance "Y" (do not bake, teleport or edit appearance!)
Control 2: Console command in instance Y: appearance show avatarname
Step 3: Log in as avatar B in either X or Y

My Result: A can see B normally, but B sees A as a cloud.

And yes, a baking action by A resolves the problem. But A does not know he is a cloud unless he is told.
Unfortunately in my setup avatars do walk around and are supposed to cross regions walking.

Re: Avatar texture corruption

emperorstarfinder
Caro,

I personally haven't had that happen on our grid.  However I did
receive a complaint about it late last night.  After doing a little
bit of looking at the error code I did find that viewers are having
trouble finding baked avatar textures.  However it is appearing to
vary with viewers.  My thinking is it could be viewer related.  It may
be some of the changes going on in the viewer code.  I would be
curious to know which viewer you've had this issue with? Is it
happening on all viewers or just one? is the viewer based on the old
viewer code i.e. 1.23 such as imprudence source or the viewer 3 source
such as Firestorm for opensim?

If this is true then it may not even be in your OpenSim instance
itself but just something with the viewer.  In some cases such as this
I tend to look at the Jira for firestorm.  If there is a viewer
related issue it is likely to get reported as they are one of the top
viewers used over on Secondlife.

I also got the complaint that avatars (mesh avatars) were not rezzing
correctly.  However the person with the mesh avi was in Phoenix which
as far as I am aware does not fully or properly support mesh (I could
however be incorrect about that).

If memory serves me correctly we had this issue a few months back and
someone suggested it might be in the configuration relating to the
viewer's ability to fetch inventory assets.

I hope this helps a little.

Emperor Starfinder

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:57:34 +0100
> From: Luisillo Contepomi <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Avatar texture corruption
>
> Hello Caro,
> I confirm on Grid Linux centos 20 adjacent regions, and over windows7 (64)
> 16 adjacent regions .
> I cleaned and set the Regions Flotsam Cache sharing the same location in
> the hard disk. (all regions only one cache)  but .. no sucess. The problem
> persist.
> Regards,
> Luisillo
>

>> The problem is consistently the same and best illustated as follows:
>> Step 1: Log in as avatar A in opensim instance X
>> Control 1: Console command in instance X: appearance show avatarname
>> Step 2: Walk into an adjacent region  in an other opensim instance "Y" (do
>> not bake, teleport or edit appearance!)
>> Control 2: Console command in instance Y: appearance show avatarname
>> Step 3: Log in as avatar B in either X or Y
>>
>> My Result: A can see B normally, but B sees A as a cloud.
>>
>> And yes, a baking action by A resolves the problem. But A does not know he
>> is a cloud unless he is told.
>> Unfortunately in my setup avatars do walk around and are supposed to cross
>> regions walking.

> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 24

Emperor Starfinder
Core Developer
Second Galaxy Development Team
http://www.secondgalaxy.com

Re: Avatar texture corruption

InuYasha Meiji
I wanted to add that I just did a quick test with Kokua.  My last one
was indeed done with Firestorm for Opensim.   I didn't take time for all
the steps in the original, but to see if I would get the results enough
to find them both acting the same.
What I found was logging in my main Avatar, I checked "appearance show
InuYasha Meiji"  and it came up with all the textures loaded and the
UUID numbers I expected to see.  I then crossed the border to a new sim
on a second instance and although I can see myself, I got this:

For InuYasha Meiji in Shuri Village
Bake Type  UUID
Head       not set
UpperBody  not set
LowerBody  not set
Eyes       not set
Skirt      not set
Hair       not set
InuYasha Meiji baked appearance texture is corrupt

I walked back and after sliding a bit, I stopped in the original sim I
logged  into.  I then  checked "appearance show InuYasha Meiji" again.
Now even in the first place I logged into my appearance is still
corrupt.  Of course a simple CTRL-ALT-R fixed the problem and the check
returned to normal.

This is the same result I got last time, only I never logged my wife's
avatar to see if she could see me.

Your Friend,

InuYasha Meiji

On 2/17/2013 2:14 PM, Emperor Starfinder wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> And yes, a baking action by A resolves the problem. But A does not
>>> know he
>>> is a cloud unless he is told.
>>> Unfortunately in my setup avatars do walk around and are supposed to
>>> cross
>>> regions walking.

>> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 24
>>

> Emperor Starfinder
> Core Developer
> Second Galaxy Development Team
> http://www.secondgalaxy.com

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

I have tried Firestorm, Firestorm for opensim, Zen, Imprudence and Hippo: the issue stays the same.
Tried a number of avatars, and even the most basic ones give the same problem. I am not talking anymore about mesh avatars or fancy textures. The out of the box avatar gives exactly the same problem: walk across into another sim and the texures are gone.
It seems to me that the only reason the avatar is still seen, is because your viewer "remembers" what you look like, not because the opensim server has that info available.
At this point I find it difficult to pinpoint whether it is an opensim or viewer issue, probably it is some communication issue between the two. Hopefully I get some definite answers in opensim mantis as to what should be happening when crossing a simborder.

@ all,
I have now filed a bug report: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6547
Thank you very much for the time and effort you put in to help me get a better understanding of the issue.

Regards
Caro

Re: Avatar texture corruption

emperorstarfinder
@Caro
Just out of curiosity (it may not be associated with the problem) do
you see anything on the console with the message unable to find baked
texture or any slow post messages? It may not even be related but I
wonder if where you have tried multiple viewers (Firestorm and
firestorm for opensim in my opinion being a bit to bulky and
imprudence and hippo viewers being very lightweight) if maybe your
viewer is timing out during the fetching process or during the process
of loading the avi texture info into the database. In either case it
is quite possible that your viewers (and users' viewers on your grid
for that matter) are timing out during the fetch and post process.

Hope that might help some.

Emperor

> [...]
>> users.  I'm not sure what the control tools are here right now - I
>> think one might have to block specific IPs on the firewall.
>>

>>> 2013/2/18 Sarge Misfit <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>>     The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One
>>> thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an
>>>     entire grid.
>>>
>>>     So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

> Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56
> Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core,
> Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version
> 5.3.0, Apache
> and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
> Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).
>
> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 26

Personally, I never seen any such mesage.  The two viewers I reported on
where Firestorm and Kokua. Both acted the same, and never displayed any
message.  The problem was obvious only on screen.  The see anything on
the console I had to use the appearance show <avatar name>.  Hippo sens
to slow these days, and I only used it to stoe some builds with export.

Your friend in OS,
InuYasha

On 2/19/2013 11:18 AM, Emperor Starfinder wrote:

> [...]
>> Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core,
>> Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version
>> 5.3.0, Apache
>> and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
>> Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).
>>
>> End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 66, Issue 26
>>

> Emperor Starfinder
> Core Developer
> Second Galaxy Development Team
> http://www.secondgalaxy.com

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

No console messages regarding textures or slow posts. Just the messages of an incoming user.
Only the console commands <appearance show> and <appearance show username> tell me that something is wrong.
There is nothing in my system that points to a timing-out problem.
Out of curiosity from my side:
It took me quite awhile to get from a "now what?!"-feeling to reproducible "cloudformation". No problem is worse than a sometimes problem.
And reproducable it is: whatever avatar type, viewer, number of avatars or location of the client I use. Cross into another simulator walking or flying and all new incoming avatars see you as a cloud.
So I would appreciate it if you able and willing to exactly replicate my 123 test described on Sat Feb 16 11:08:15 CET 2013. ? Just to be sure whether or not you also have this problem.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Caro

[...]

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I reviewed the emails again and attempted the same test hoping that by
reproducing the problem I might see the problem.  Unfortunately I am
not seeing the cloud issue when crossing from one region into another.
  I also have seen some clouds in avatars but usually after a rebake
via the viewer this appears to resolve that.

I then attempted a couple more tests out of curiosity as to why you
were seeing that problem and I am unable to reproduce it.  I was not
able to reproduce that issue directly.  However I did notice that in
the region console with most viewers especially viewer 3 (firestorm
for opensim) you will get an unable to upload baked textures relating
to the avatar or unable to fetch baked textures relating to the avatar
along with a UUID.

With regards to the Hippo Viewer Island Oasis has rewritten the hippo
viewer and I have successfully used their version.

In ether case It would seem that your problem relates to to a problem
with your viewer not updating the scene view to update the avatar's
presence in the viewer.

One way to easily get to the heart of the problem I believe would be
to have the region console show you the avatar appearance with this
command: appearance show and the avatar's name.  This should tell you
if the avatar's baked textures are ok or corrupt.

It also could be that you just need to update the appearance which you
can do in the region console by typing appearance send and the
avatar's first and last name (its in the current development version
not sure if its in the 0.7.5 release)

If that doesn't work then the best place would be the mantis in the
event it is a bug.

However It does seem as though your viewers are having trouble
obtaining the appearance for an avatar. (I usually don't recommend
running a viewer on the same machine as the server for the region as
this will slow down the pc resources to which could cause this.)

I do hope that helps a little bit more.

Emperor

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:20:02 -0500
> From: InuYasha Meiji <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Red Glow in my River?
>
> I am using a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460, with 1 gig of DDR5.  Newest driver
> from their website. Microsoft, when allowed to update my driver causes
> issues.  Lots of disconnected GLDriver errors.  The Nvidia web site
> drivers don't cause this.  I use the latest Firestorm with (Opensim
> support).  I found out it seems to be a bug.  Oddly, after I tried every
> other viewer I had the issue isn't appearing anymore.  So, I also should
> have tried a reboot before asking the question, as well.  I hate issues
> that arn't easy to report, and not always easy to replicate.
>
> Your Friend,
>
> InuYasha.
>

> On 2/20/2013 5:09 PM, drWhiet wrote:
>> Are you using Angstrom ? I have the same issue with the latest
>> Angstrom Viewer ...
>> When i enable a Lightshare or Windlight Setting all is fine ; But the
>> normal dayview
>> in the Viewer "tints" the water red ,,, I do not have this issue with
>> Singularity or other viewers ..
>> I have a Nvidia GTX 680 with the latest drivers ..
>> best regards,
>> Wordfromthe Wise

This problem don't only exist when crossing a simple region, it is
usually from crossing into a region on another instance.

InuYasha.

On 2/21/2013 3:37 PM, Emperor Starfinder wrote:

> [...]
>> drivers don't cause this.  I use the latest Firestorm with (Opensim
>> support).  I found out it seems to be a bug.  Oddly, after I tried every
>> other viewer I had the issue isn't appearing anymore.  So, I also should
>> have tried a reboot before asking the question, as well.  I hate issues
>> that arn't easy to report, and not always easy to replicate.
>>
>> Your Friend,
>>
>> InuYasha.
>>

>> On 2/20/2013 5:09 PM, drWhiet wrote:
>>> Are you using Angstrom ? I have the same issue with the latest
>>> Angstrom Viewer ...
>>> When i enable a Lightshare or Windlight Setting all is fine ; But the
>>> normal dayview
>>> in the Viewer "tints" the water red ,,, I do not have this issue with
>>> Singularity or other viewers ..
>>> I have a Nvidia GTX 680 with the latest drivers ..

justincc
I've been busy this week so I've only just had a change to look at this thread.  I was able to reproduce the problem on
current git master.  For some reason on crossing to another region, the viewer fails to send a AvatarSetAppearance
packet, which usually triggers a rebake because the simulator cannot find the baked texture UUIDs sent in that packet.

A teleport into that neighbour does send this packet, correctly triggering the rebake/reupload.

This fails on both LL 1.23.5 and LL 3.3.4.

I'm quite surprised - I swear this used to work though I might be misremembering.  So if somebody can identify a version
of OpenSimulator where this was fine then that would be helpful.  Please put more details on Mantis 6547 [1]

By the way, I have changed the console report to "incomplete" from "corrupt".  This is much more accurate since the code
doesn't actually currently check if the textures are valid JPEG 2000 assets - it just checks if they are present or not.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6547

OSVW Consulting