Awaiting region handshake

1234

Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

Hi all,

I'm running opensim in Robust grid mode, and I've been trying to connect outside my LAN but just arnt having any luck.

I get to awaiting region handshake, then the "we're having trouble connecting" message. I know this is a fairly common issue, and here is what I've tried:

Checking ports 8002 8001 and 9000 are forwarded to the correct server.

Checked, rechecked and triplechecked regions.ini

I dont think my router supports loop back so I set an entry in the hosts file on the server so the external domain name points back to the server.

I've been at this for months, I even gave up and tried a bunch of other Sims, but none of them have the features I want.

Can anyone help step through this issue?

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Fleep Tuque
Hi Pete,

When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software was blocking UDP traffic.  Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with the UDP traffic somewhere.

If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing if that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark to see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the issue.  Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd party..

Let us know if any of  that helps and good luck!

- Chris/Fleep

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Guardian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm running opensim in Robust grid mode, and I've been trying to connect outside my LAN but just arnt having any luck.

I get to awaiting region handshake, then the "we're having trouble connecting" message. I know this is a fairly common issue, and here is what I've tried:

Checking ports 8002 8001 and 9000 are forwarded to the correct server.

Checked, rechecked and triplechecked regions.ini

I dont think my router supports loop back so I set an entry in the hosts file on the server so the external domain name points back to the server.

I've been at this for months, I even gave up and tried a bunch of other Sims, but none of them have the features I want.

Can anyone help step through this issue?

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Karen Palen
I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
"quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
working.

I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
interfere with extenal connections.

There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!

Karen

On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software was
> blocking UDP traffic.  Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
> region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with the
> UDP traffic somewhere.
>
> If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing if
> that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark to
> see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the issue.
>  Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
> party..
>
> Let us know if any of  that helps and good luck!
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Guardian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running opensim in Robust grid mode, and I've been trying to connect
>> outside my LAN but just arnt having any luck.
>>
>> I get to awaiting region handshake, then the "we're having trouble
>> connecting" message. I know this is a fairly common issue, and here is what
>> I've tried:
>>
>> Checking ports 8002 8001 and 9000 are forwarded to the correct server.
>>
>> Checked, rechecked and triplechecked regions.ini
>>
>> I dont think my router supports loop back so I set an entry in the hosts
>> file on the server so the external domain name points back to the server.
>>
>> I've been at this for months, I even gave up and tried a bunch of other
>> Sims, but none of them have the features I want.
>>
>> Can anyone help step through this issue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Pete

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked the ports and they seem fine, both 8002TCP and 9000TCP/UDP are open.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
"quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
working.

I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
interfere with extenal connections.

There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!

Karen

On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software was
> blocking UDP traffic.  Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
> region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with the
> UDP traffic somewhere.
>
> If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing if
> that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark to
> see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the issue.
>  Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
> party..
>
> Let us know if any of  that helps and good luck!
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Guardian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running opensim in Robust grid mode, and I've been trying to connect
>> outside my LAN but just arnt having any luck.
>>
>> I get to awaiting region handshake, then the "we're having trouble
>> connecting" message. I know this is a fairly common issue, and here is what
>> I've tried:
>>
>> Checking ports 8002 8001 and 9000 are forwarded to the correct server.
>>
>> Checked, rechecked and triplechecked regions.ini
>>
>> I dont think my router supports loop back so I set an entry in the hosts
>> file on the server so the external domain name points back to the server.
>>
>> I've been at this for months, I even gave up and tried a bunch of other
>> Sims, but none of them have the features I want.
>>
>> Can anyone help step through this issue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Pete

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

I just tried changing the port to 9001 and forwarding that but still no go.

On Aug 15, 2011 7:37 AM, "Guardian" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked the ports and they seem fine, both
> 8002TCP and 9000TCP/UDP are open.
>

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
>> "quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
>> working.
>>
>> I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
>> interfere with extenal connections.
>>
>> There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!
>>
>> Karen
>>
>> On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>> > Hi Pete,
>> >
>> > When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software
>> was
>> > blocking UDP traffic. Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
>> > region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with
>> the
>> > UDP traffic somewhere.
>> >
>> > If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing
>> if
>> > that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark
>> > see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the
>> issue.
>> > Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
>> > party..
>> >
>> > Let us know if any of that helps and good luck!
>> >
>> > - Chris/Fleep

>> what

>> server.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Gary Banham

have you checked the xmlrpc port

I'm not sure if its needed but I ran into the same problem

I found a control in my lan that forwarded all the ports and it solved the problem

but the one I didn't try was XMLRPC which is 20800 that port is mentioned in 7.0.2

but not in 7.1.1

but I would expect the same port

you can look in your router and see if it has a control to place the entire ip to the internet

it will only do this for 1 ip in the lan

hope this helps

Gary

I just tried changing the port to 9001 and forwarding that but still no go.

On Aug 15, 2011 7:37 AM, "Guardian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked the ports and they seem fine, both
> 8002TCP and 9000TCP/UDP are open.
>

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
>> "quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
>> working.
>>
>> I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
>> interfere with extenal connections.
>>
>> There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!
>>
>> Karen
>>
>> On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>> > Hi Pete,
>> >
>> > When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software
>> was
>> > blocking UDP traffic. Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
>> > region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with
>> the
>> > UDP traffic somewhere.
>> >
>> > If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing
>> if
>> > that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark
>> > see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the
>> issue.
>> > Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
>> > party..
>> >
>> > Let us know if any of that helps and good luck!
>> >
>> > - Chris/Fleep

>> what

>> server.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

Hi Gary,

So I should try forwarding 20800 to the opensim server?

Also when I tried setting the externalhostname in regions.ini to the external address of my network, iI couldn't log on at all, if its set to the LAN address of the server, I can get up to the region handshake prompt.

On Aug 15, 2011 2:22 PM, "Gary Banham" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> have you checked the xmlrpc port
>
> I'm not sure if its needed but I ran into the same problem
>
> I found a control in my lan that forwarded all the ports and it solved the
> problem
>
> but the one I didn't try was XMLRPC which is 20800 that port is mentioned in
> 7.0.2
>
> but not in 7.1.1
>
> but I would expect the same port
>
> you can look in your router and see if it has a control to place the entire
> ip to the internet
>
> it will only do this for 1 ip in the lan
>

> hope this helps
>

> Gary

Gary Beck
Pete,
    These problems are tough to work through.   I'm curious about what your have specified in your region parameters for ExternalHostName and what you're putting in the Host entry to point back to the server.  Whatever you could reveal while protecting your network would help.
    At handshake time the server hands the viewer an address to use for UDP.  The problem could be that address isn't correct or the port is blocked (or both.)   Since you seem sure the ports are open I'm wondering about the address.
- Gary
I just tried changing the port to 9001 and forwarding that but still no go.

On Aug 15, 2011 7:37 AM, "Guardian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked the ports and they seem fine, both
> 8002TCP and 9000TCP/UDP are open.
>

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
>> "quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
>> working.
>>
>> I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
>> interfere with extenal connections.
>>
>> There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!
>>
>> Karen
>>
>> On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>> > Hi Pete,
>> >
>> > When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software
>> was
>> > blocking UDP traffic. Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
>> > region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with
>> the
>> > UDP traffic somewhere.
>> >
>> > If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing
>> if
>> > that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark
>> > see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the
>> issue.
>> > Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
>> > party..
>> >
>> > Let us know if any of that helps and good luck!
>> >
>> > - Chris/Fleep

>> what

>> server.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Gary Banham

I would try

I just found a setting in my lan that forward all the ports and put the lan ip directly on the internet

also in you region set it to systemip(i think this is the default)

I think that may work

otherwise set it to you lan ip

not the 192.168 ip but the ip you lan is on for the internet also

i set up a lan bridge for 1 ip to connect directly to the internet

you can try that

Gary

So I should try forwarding 20800 to the opensim server?

Also when I tried setting the externalhostname in regions.ini to the external address of my network, iI couldn't log on at all, if its set to the LAN address of the server, I can get up to the region handshake prompt.

On Aug 15, 2011 2:22 PM, "Gary Banham" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> have you checked the xmlrpc port
>
> I'm not sure if its needed but I ran into the same problem
>
> I found a control in my lan that forwarded all the ports and it solved the
> problem
>
> but the one I didn't try was XMLRPC which is 20800 that port is mentioned in
> 7.0.2
>
> but not in 7.1.1
>
> but I would expect the same port
>
> you can look in your router and see if it has a control to place the entire
> ip to the internet
>
> it will only do this for 1 ip in the lan
>

> hope this helps
>

> Gary

They often require trying different things

if you can set you lan to forward all the ports to one address then set you region to the address of your lan it should work

Gary

    These problems are tough to work through.   I'm curious about what your have specified in your region parameters for ExternalHostName and what you're putting in the Host entry to point back to the server.  Whatever you could reveal while protecting your network would help.

    At handshake time the server hands the viewer an address to use for UDP.  The problem could be that address isn't correct or the port is blocked (or both.)   Since you seem sure the ports are open I'm wondering about the address.

- Gary

I just tried changing the port to 9001 and forwarding that but still no go.

On Aug 15, 2011 7:37 AM, "Guardian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked the ports and they seem fine, both
> 8002TCP and 9000TCP/UDP are open.
>

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have always found that the free "Shields Up" at WWW.grc.com is a
>> "quick and dirty way" to verify that the ports are actually open and
>> working.
>>
>> I also found that my TOR relay setup uses 9000 series ports and can
>> interfere with extenal connections.
>>
>> There are a lot of links in that chain that can block the traffic!
>>
>> Karen
>>
>> On 08/14/2011 02:39 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>> > Hi Pete,
>> >
>> > When I had similar symptoms, it turned out my virus protection software
>> was
>> > blocking UDP traffic. Usually it seems if you get as far as "waiting for
>> > region handshake", then your TCP traffic is ok but there's an issue with
>> the
>> > UDP traffic somewhere.
>> >
>> > If you have security software running, maybe try disabling it and seeing
>> if
>> > that changes anything, can also install a packet sniffer like Wireshark
>> > see what packets are coming and going in case that helps diagnose the
>> issue.
>> > Can also double check to make sure the proper ports are open with a 3rd
>> > party..
>> >
>> > Let us know if any of that helps and good luck!
>> >
>> > - Chris/Fleep

>> what

>> server.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

Just before I answer these questions, note I just tried building a DNS server and using that instead of the hosts file, but it did not'help.

For external hostname I am using myusername.dyndns.org and I have Aldo tried my external IP address 202.155.etc

The internalhostname I've tried 0.0.0.0 as well as 192.168.1.251

I can also browse to myusername.dyndns.org:9000 and get the hippo page...

On Aug 15, 2011 2:31 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pete,
> These problems are tough to work through. I'm curious about what your have specified in your region parameters for ExternalHostName and what you're putting in the Host entry to point back to the server. Whatever you could reveal while protecting your network would help.
> At handshake time the server hands the viewer an address to use for UDP. The problem could be that address isn't correct or the port is blocked (or both.) Since you seem sure the ports are open I'm wondering about the address.
> - Gary

    From what you say I assume you have myusername.dyndns.org set up to be your external IP address.  Browsing from outside your lan using myusername.dyndns.org:9000 to get the hippo page is some key info.   Now I'm still wondering what you're doing in the hosts file.  If your dyndns is set up to point to your external IP you shouldn't need to modify it using hosts.
   By the way for internal address 0.0.0.0 is normally the address is use.
- Gary Beck
Just before I answer these questions, note I just tried building a DNS server and using that instead of the hosts file, but it did not'help.

For external hostname I am using myusername.dyndns.org and I have Aldo tried my external IP address 202.155.etc

The internalhostname I've tried 0.0.0.0 as well as 192.168.1.251

I can also browse to myusername.dyndns.org:9000 and get the hippo page...

On Aug 15, 2011 2:31 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pete,
> These problems are tough to work through. I'm curious about what your have specified in your region parameters for ExternalHostName and what you're putting in the Host entry to point back to the server. Whatever you could reveal while protecting your network would help.
> At handshake time the server hands the viewer an address to use for UDP. The problem could be that address isn't correct or the port is blocked (or both.) Since you seem sure the ports are open I'm wondering about the address.
> - Gary

InuYasha Meiji
On 8/14/2011 10:31 PM, Gary Beck wrote:
Pete,
    These problems are tough to work through.   I'm curious about what your have specified in your region parameters for ExternalHostName and what you're putting in the Host entry to point back to the server.  Whatever you could reveal while protecting your network would help.
    At handshake time the server hands the viewer an address to use for UDP.  The problem could be that address isn't correct or the port is blocked (or both.)   Since you seem sure the ports are open I'm wondering about the address.
- Gary

I hope this helps...

Are you using an HP or windows 7  I used a web site at online port scan and my machine told me that my ports at 9000 and a few others where being used by something else.  I was having the same problem connection and having others connect to me.  My first few ports said this...

205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9000 (cslistener).
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9001 (etlservicemgr).
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9002 (dynamid).
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9003 ().
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9004 ().
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9005 ().
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9006 ().
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9007 ().--
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9008 ().
205.209.67.74 isn't responding on port 9009 (pichat)

So I scanned more and found a nice clear section to open in my router from 9030 all the way to 9085 if I wanted.  And I checked the other port I needed to.
Now logging onto my system means the address to log on is no longer ending in 9000 like most.  Like every who has to give links to their grid I tell them 9030 instead.

I use DYNDNS Updater for a permanent IP all that is free.  And my first of many region.ini files is set up like this...

[Shuri Village]
RegionUUID = 0692e48a-ca03-458f-a295-699a1cb2c67d
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 192.168.0.198
InternalPort = 9030
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = ryukyu.dnsdojo.com
MasterAvatarFirstName = <YOUR FIRST NAME>
MasterAvatarLastName = <YOUR LAST NAME>
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = <YOUR PASSWORD>
MaxPrims = 15000

Of course if you are on a LAN like I am, put your LAN ip in the place of my InternalAddress = 192.168.0.198.
A mistake I made in the past was using the entire HTTP://ryukyu.dnsdojo.com/ in my External address.  Once I was set up at DYNDNS and got my DSN, all opensim wanted was ExternalHostName = ryukyu.dnsdojo.com

No one need try my grid yet. Only my web page tells about how it is coming, with images and links to stats and the news and blog.  I am still working on adding help pages another links.  But the sim is only open to a few chosen builders and close family for the time being.

It does work though.  One friend from Australia comes nearly everyday to build.

BTW:  I try to only open needed ports to the outside world.  allowing everyone access you all your ports don't make your system safe from hackers, greifers or bored kids looking for something to destroy.  I still back up everything.  Going DMZ just isn't safe.  You might just need to use alternate ports.

Also have to checked to be sure your router has loop back capabilities?

Hope this gets you started off.
InuYasha

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

My router does not like loopback, so if I try to access anything by the external name, it won't work. So I use the hosts file to point back to the server for internal use..

On Aug 15, 2011 3:51 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pete,
> From what you say I assume you have myusername.dyndns.org set up to be your external IP address. Browsing from outside your lan using myusername.dyndns.org:9000 to get the hippo page is some key info. Now I'm still wondering what you're doing in the hosts file. If your dyndns is set up to point to your external IP you shouldn't need to modify it using hosts.
> By the way for internal address 0.0.0.0 is normally the address is use.
> - Gary Beck

If you use a host file on the server to resolve myusername.dyndns.org to 192.168.1.251 that can cause the handshake to fail.  The server will hand the viewer [192.168.1.251 + the port of the region] as the address to use for the UDP handshake.   That will fail from outside your lan.

My router does not like loopback, so if I try to access anything by the external name, it won't work. So I use the hosts file to point back to the server for internal use..

On Aug 15, 2011 3:51 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pete,
> From what you say I assume you have myusername.dyndns.org set up to be your external IP address. Browsing from outside your lan using myusername.dyndns.org:9000 to get the hippo page is some key info. Now I'm still wondering what you're doing in the hosts file. If your dyndns is set up to point to your external IP you shouldn't need to modify it using hosts.
> By the way for internal address 0.0.0.0 is normally the address is use.
> - Gary Beck

Im not using windows or HP, im using ubuntu server edition.

My region config is the same as yours

On 15/08/2011 3:58 PM, "InuYasha Meiji" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> It does work though. One friend from Australia comes nearly everyday to
> build.
>
> BTW: I try to only open needed ports to the outside world. allowing
> everyone access you all your ports don't make your system safe from
> hackers, greifers or bored kids looking for something to destroy. I
> still back up everything. Going DMZ just isn't safe. You might just
> need to use alternate ports.
>
> Also have to checked to be sure your router has loop back capabilities?
>
> Hope this gets you started off.
> InuYasha

> Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.1.1 with 49 Regions
> on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
> Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM. Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
> and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition. Modules not yet successful

Hmmmm, OK.. that sounds logical. How do I get around this? Without buying a new router as there would be no way of knowing if it supports loop back until its in and running.

On Aug 15, 2011 4:27 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you use a host file on the server to resolve myusername.dyndns.org to 192.168.1.251 that can cause the handshake to fail. The server will hand the viewer [192.168.1.251 + the port of the region] as the address to use for the UDP handshake. That will fail from outside your lan.

Personally I use a

D-Link DGL-4500 GamerLounge Xtreme N Gaming Router

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dgl-4500/4505-3319_7-32748872.html

I have used it since 2005 and only had to replace it once due to a thunderstorm I didn't get eveything turned off and unplugged in time.  It ost me only 80.00 us at my local Staples.  Hint: don't try to boost things by turning on GameFuel.  It works great for me, easy GUI, loop back works great and gets my friends on even half way around the world.

I can't remeber the link, but when I was shopping for it, there was a list I had found on the OSGRID forums of what routers had loopback and which didn't.  Maybe someone still has it.

Good luck and keep it up.  It took me so long to get things going.
Thanks to friends in this list.
InuYasha.

On 8/15/2011 2:05 AM, Guardian wrote:

Hmmmm, OK.. that sounds logical. How do I get around this? Without buying a new router as there would be no way of knowing if it supports loop back until its in and running.

On Aug 15, 2011 4:27 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you use a host file on the server to resolve myusername.dyndns.org to 192.168.1.251 that can cause the handshake to fail. The server will hand the viewer [192.168.1.251 + the port of the region] as the address to use for the UDP handshake. That will fail from outside your lan.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Guardian

Are there any other options apart from replacing the router?

On Aug 15, 2011 7:19 PM, "InuYasha Meiji" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personally I use a
>

> D-Link DGL-4500 GamerLounge Xtreme N Gaming Router
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dgl-4500/4505-3319_7-32748872.html
>
> I have used it since 2005 and only had to replace it once due to a
> thunderstorm I didn't get eveything turned off and unplugged in time.
> It ost me only 80.00 us at my local Staples. Hint: don't try to boost
> things by turning on GameFuel. It works great for me, easy GUI, loop
> back works great and gets my friends on even half way around the world.
>
> I can't remeber the link, but when I was shopping for it, there was a
> list I had found on the OSGRID forums of what routers had loopback and
> which didn't. Maybe someone still has it.
>
> Good luck and keep it up. It took me so long to get things going.
> Thanks to friends in this list.
> InuYasha.
>

> On 8/15/2011 2:05 AM, Guardian wrote:
>>
>> Hmmmm, OK.. that sounds logical. How do I get around this? Without
>> buying a new router as there would be no way of knowing if it supports
>> loop back until its in and running.
>>
>> On Aug 15, 2011 4:27 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> > If you use a host file on the server to resolve
>> myusername.dyndns.org <http://myusername.dyndns.org> to 192.168.1.251
>> that can cause the handshake to fail. The server will hand the viewer
>> [192.168.1.251 + the port of the region] as the address to use for the
>> UDP handshake. That will fail from outside your lan.

Re: Awaiting region handshake

Gary Beck
Pete,

   There was also a write-up on using... address translation or routing tables on a Linux system to substitute the local IP address in place of the external on the local lan here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings

   It's difficult to find marketing material that mentions loop back.   What I did is get the router user guides and search those for the loop back function.  In the Cisco/Linksys manuals they talk about "Filter Internet NAT Redirection"

Filter Internet NAT Redirection—This filter prevents a local computer from using a URL or Internet IP address to access the local server. Select this option to enable the filter. This option is disabled by default.

I've used both a WRT54G and the E3200.  They support loop-back.  Filter Internet NAT Redirection disabled is how you turn loop back on.

Finally - there's a very ugly process where you can revise the hosts table entry as needed.  Local address while logging on locally.  External address while logging on remote.   Once you're logged in things are mostly OK while you stay inside a single region.   I've done that while testing.

- Gary Beck

Hmmmm, OK.. that sounds logical. How do I get around this? Without buying a new router as there would be no way of knowing if it supports loop back until its in and running.

On Aug 15, 2011 4:27 PM, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you use a host file on the server to resolve myusername.dyndns.org to 192.168.1.251 that can cause the handshake to fail. The server will hand the viewer [192.168.1.251 + the port of the region] as the address to use for the UDP handshake. That will fail from outside your lan.

1234