Banning

Sarge Misfit
The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an entire grid.

So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

Re: Banning

ssm2017
actually, to ban a user, im using the "userLevel" field in the "UserAccounts" grid table and then i set it to -1.
the grid "loginlevel" is set to 0.
this is not "officially recommended/supported" but it is actually working and not preventing the user to use hypergrid.

2013/2/18 Sarge Misfit <[hidden email]>
The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an entire grid.

So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

Re: Banning

justincc
On 18/02/13 23:26, ssm2017 wrote:
> actually, to ban a user, im using the "userLevel" field in the "UserAccounts" grid table and then i set it to -1.
> the grid "loginlevel" is set to 0.
> this is not "officially recommended/supported" but it is actually working and not preventing the user to use hypergrid.

I thought this was the standard way of doing it, though admittedly it has not been documented!

However, I'm not sure that ban mechanism would work for incoming HG users.  I'm not sure what the control tools are here
right now - I think one might have to block specific IPs on the firewall.

> 2013/2/18 Sarge Misfit <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an
>     entire grid.
>
>     So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

OSVW Consulting

Re: Banning

InuYasha Meiji
I haven't a suggestion on which program scans IP and MAC addresses , but
I suppose, if a griefer  gets really bad, you could use an IP and mac
address scanner, to then ban the mac address from your router.  That
would then keep those MAC addressess from connecting to your network at
all.  This might be a way to perma ban people from that particular machine.

InuYasha

On 2/18/2013 7:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 18/02/13 23:26, ssm2017 wrote:
>> actually, to ban a user, im using the "userLevel" field in the
>> "UserAccounts" grid table and then i set it to -1.
>> the grid "loginlevel" is set to 0.
>> this is not "officially recommended/supported" but it is actually
>> working and not preventing the user to use hypergrid.
>
> I thought this was the standard way of doing it, though admittedly it
> has not been documented!
>
> However, I'm not sure that ban mechanism would work for incoming HG
> users.  I'm not sure what the control tools are here right now - I
> think one might have to block specific IPs on the firewall.
>

>> 2013/2/18 Sarge Misfit <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>
>>     The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One
>> thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an
>>     entire grid.
>>
>>     So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: Banning

David Saunders
Hey,

    The internet is wide open and shared endpoints abound.

    For the short term you can block the IP subnet through your firewall. But this only good for a short time depending on how persistence the grifer is. Most will give up after checking few subnets that most users can get on.  But using his mehoid will block other people and could cause issues if you have people from from the network.  Like a dorm or similar location.

Block the Mac address is useful most of the time. It easy to change but most ISP track dynamic connections by the router/modem Mac address and not IP. But this can be changed almost as easy as the IP is. Most griefer will not bother with the trouble tho.

  You can block hypergrids by adding the address back to the grid they originated from in the regions access.

  The real solution would be able to block the action that cause the grief and not the user.

 Opensim has some basic issues with security that does need to resolved.  For example, If someone wanted to they could hook a sim to your grid and you would have to physically block them after the fact.   The only solution was don't make your setting publicly available.

David

On 2/18/2013 5:18 PM, Sarge Misfit wrote:
The subject of griefers came up in a recent conversation. One thing that none of us knows is how to ban them from an entire grid.

So, how DO you ban someone from a grid?

Re: Banning

Since I couldn't find a page on the login level originally I knocked up a quick one at [1].  This is for general access
control so could eventually detail the in-world estate management tools, as well as where external blocking (e.g. on the
firewall) is necessary.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Access_Control