Basic tutorials in portuguese

Americo Damasceno-3
If you read portuguese, can see (many videos) basic tutorials about the creation of an OpenSim region on  our   blog:

Re: Basic tutorials in portuguese

Jeremiah Spence
parabens Americo!

a general question for all... can we import avatars and scenery from a content vendor like Daz3D into an OpenSim space?  If so, it would allow for the rapid improvement of content available in OpenSim.

-Jeremiah

On Nov 21, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Americo Damasceno wrote:

If you read portuguese, can see (many videos) basic tutorials about the creation of an OpenSim region on  our   blog: _______________________________________________

Re: Basic tutorials in portuguese

Karen_Palen
I think realextend is working on that. There are still a lot of issues, but I think everyone would like to see the capability!

For example I have almost 10 years of content that I have generated with Poser and similar tools which I would be delighted to move to OpenSim!

Much of my Poser generated content could be shared with the community.

There are some serious technical issues though so don't expect anything to happen quickly!

Karen

> a general question for all... can we import
> avatars and scenery from a content vendor like Daz3D into an
> OpenSim space?  If so, it would allow for the rapid
> improvement of content available in OpenSim.
> -Jeremiah
>
> On Nov 21, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Americo Damasceno
> wrote:
> If
> you read portuguese, can see (many videos) basic tutorials
> about the creation of an OpenSim region on  our
> blog:
> http://www.opensimbr.blogspot.com/
>
> Aproveitem! Obrigado.
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Basic tutorials in portuguese

Toni Alatalo
Karen Palen kirjoitti:
> I think realextend is working on that. There are still a lot of issues, but I think everyone would like to see the capability!

Yes, using normal meshes in the Ogre format has been working in reX for
2 years now.

First in the quick prototype, which was modified SLviewer where Ogre was
added, and a modified (fork) OpenSim which could store meshes and
materials etc. For about 6 months now the production version of the
server has been unmodified OpenSim with the ModRex plugin adding the
extensions that mesh support needs.

The production viewer is still the prototype that uses both SLviewer and
Ogre code, and due to how it switches opengl contexts on the fly it
requires good opengl drivers (has always worked on nvidia and at least
nowadays on ati too, but afaik not in Intel). Also although it uses
cross-platform technologies, the build system etc. were not
cross-platform, so people have been running it on Linux via WINE only.
But some folks for whom it works have been using it to build etc quite a
lot.

The new viewer is quite ok under way, writing it started in March and
0.0.2 preview pre-alpha was released about two weeks ago. Uses only Ogre
for drawing so works basically anywhere (either d3d or opengl, e.g.
intel integrated cards in laptops), and cross-platformness is a
requirement so builds on Linux too (and should on Mac). Renders scenes
ok and has basic UI for chat and inventory now, info & screenshots at:
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Naali .

We're planning the first actually usable release candidate by the end of
the year, beginning of next year then bugfixes & polish for that for
first production release. Then continue to add missing & new features
next year. Please anyone who is interested give 0.0.2 a shot now and
report back if there are probs (there is one known stupid bug: crashes
on vista with UAC on, doesn't have permissions to write user name to a
file in the user home dir - has been fixed in trunk, but if you get that
you can run 0.0.2 as admin). At least if you have a powerful machine you
can log-in to osgrid or whatever (the amount of prims there is a lot for
the unoptimized prim rendering code in Naali - places made with meshes
typically have much less objects so are lighter).

> For example I have almost 10 years of content that I have generated with Poser and similar tools which I would be delighted to move to OpenSim!
> Much of my Poser generated content could be shared with the community.

I think there's no reason to wait with that if you want, we could
experiment with some of those models etc. straight away. There are reX
demo scenes etc. and also our company has things we've made in Blender
for Ogre games before, but different kinds of content from folks with
different usage ideas etc. would be interesting.

Oh and also the Idealist viewer (and the 3di browser plugin that uses
it) has reX-compatible(?) mesh support? And as Linden has been
experimenting with that too, is interesting to see if they actually take
it to production use. I hope everyone does and we get interoperability
and standards - the basics of meshes have been the same for so long now
(15 years?) that seems that there's a change.

You are right that there are issues, but also working and even mature
technology that we can use today to get started.

> Karen

~Toni

Mesh based objects (was Re: Basic tutorials in portuguese

Karen_Palen
Thank you, if it runs under Linux now I will try it out and report any bugs I find.

Certainly there are huge collections of mesh based objects available, both privately generated and available through on line databases.

However, mesh based objects are only part of the compatibility problem.

Much of my Poser work involves customized characters based on such underlying meshes as the DAZ3 "Victoria" series.

Likewise there are various clothing schemes ("painted on", conforming, and "dynamic cloth") and some really strange things done with morphs which come to mind.

One of my (many) projects is to replace the two avatars used by OpenSim with some sort of custom designed ones. The range sold by DAZ3d gives you some idea of the potential here, humans, ogres, fish, various animals, (gasp) kids, and various cartoon characters.

Karen

> [...]
>
> > --- On Sat, 11/21/09, Jeremiah Spence <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> From: Jeremiah Spence <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Basic tutorials in
> portuguese
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 2:20 PM
> >> parabens Americo!
> >> a general question for all... can we import
> >> avatars and scenery from a content vendor like
> Daz3D into an
> >> OpenSim space?  If so, it would allow for the
> rapid
> >> improvement of content available in OpenSim.
> >> -Jeremiah
> >>
> >> On Nov 21, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Americo Damasceno
> >> wrote:
> >> If
> >> you read portuguese, can see (many videos) basic
> tutorials
> >> about the creation of an OpenSim region on

Re: Mesh based objects (was Re: Basic tutorials in portuguese

Toni Alatalo
Karen Palen kirjoitti:
> Thank you, if it runs under Linux now I will try it out and report any bugs I find.

That situation has been living a bit now - at 0.0.2 time some folks were
able to log in and move in a world ok, but some time after that new
things have introduced a crasher which is not hunted down yet. We now
(since Thursday/Friday) have a buildbot that builds with Linux after
each commit, and start adding it running tests too tomorrow, and
probably get someone busy with hunting the new bug there so hopefully
get that to good shape soon.

> Much of my Poser work involves customized characters based on such underlying meshes as the DAZ3 "Victoria" series.

In ReX an avatar can use any mesh, just like any other object. And
further the mesh can have any kind of UV layout and a skeleton for
animation, like in Ogre and in 3d gfx in general normally.

> designed ones. The range sold by DAZ3d gives you some idea of the potential here, humans, ogres, fish, various animals, (gasp) kids, and various cartoon characters.

For example in the 1 year old Beneath the Waves demo for ReX 0.4, the
game works so that there are statues of fishes in the lobby, and you
start by selecting the kind you want to be while playing. It then
changes your avatar to that type of a fish for the duration of the game.

> Karen

~Toni

It will be a week or so before I get to this anyway :-)

Looks like it will be well worth tying though.

Now all I have to do is restore my MySql database that I thought I had lost. Just discovered some DB  backups that were automatically generated into the wrong directory - sigh.

Karen