Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

DocSym
Hey all,

I'm attempting to design some basic things in Blender and export them into OpenSim.  To be frank, I'm having a devil of a time.  My objects aren't oriented correctly (for example, a torus that is oriented to look like a wheel (on a truck) looks like it's laying on the ground instead of attached to the axle.)  Some of my objects are missing parts, are see-through at certain angles, and I can't figure out how to get that gosh darn invisible box off of them so things (such as the soccer ball test I did) can actually roll when made physical in OpenSim.

Am I using the best design program for OpenSim?  My end goal, once I get better at this and figure things out more, is to make a fleet of ambulances that my students can actually sit in.  For now, however, I just need to figure out if I'm using the best program for this and if so, what the heck I'm doing wrong..

I know we've got a few awesome designers on this list.. What do you guys use, and can you offer me any direction?

-DS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

Robert L martin
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM, DocSym <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know we've got a few awesome designers on this list.. What do you guys
> use, and can you offer me any direction?


im going to assume that you are dealing with Mesh objects. Part of
your problem is Blender uses different mappings of X Y Z to Up Right
Back than OpenSim/SL

as to your texture problems anybody wanna chime in??

of course Rigged Mesh is a Whole Other Ball of String


--
Robert L Martin
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

Jeeper
In reply to this post by DocSym
On 29/08/2012 8:08 AM, DocSym wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm attempting to design some basic things in Blender and export them into
> OpenSim.  To be frank, I'm having a devil of a time.  My objects aren't
> oriented correctly (for example, a torus that is oriented to look like a
> wheel (on a truck) looks like it's laying on the ground instead of attached
> to the axle.)  Some of my objects are missing parts, are see-through at
> certain angles, and I can't figure out how to get that gosh darn invisible
> box off of them so things (such as the soccer ball test I did) can actually
> roll when made physical in OpenSim.
>
>
The see through problem is probably the normals need to be corrected.  
Press "N" to open the properties, then under Mesh Display you can turn
on Normals to see which way they are pointing. you want them pointing
out, so  on the left side, there are options to recalculate and flip.  
You might have to just select the faces that are wrong and flip them.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

DocSym
Thanks for the ideas, Jeeper..

I did check the normals, and they're all pointing outward as you described.  I feel like I'm missing something simple here..


On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Jeeper <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/08/2012 8:08 AM, DocSym wrote:
Hey all,

I'm attempting to design some basic things in Blender and export them into
OpenSim.  To be frank, I'm having a devil of a time.  My objects aren't
oriented correctly (for example, a torus that is oriented to look like a
wheel (on a truck) looks like it's laying on the ground instead of attached
to the axle.)  Some of my objects are missing parts, are see-through at
certain angles, and I can't figure out how to get that gosh darn invisible
box off of them so things (such as the soccer ball test I did) can actually
roll when made physical in OpenSim.


The see through problem is probably the normals need to be corrected.  Press "N" to open the properties, then under Mesh Display you can turn on Normals to see which way they are pointing. you want them pointing out, so  on the left side, there are options to recalculate and flip.  You might have to just select the faces that are wrong and flip them.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

Wade Schuette
I forget what the option is, but I recall the invisible bounding box can be
thwarted on import by some option in the "physics" set.

Sorry I'm too busy right not to go try to see what that option is.

Wade


On 8/30/12 9:36 AM, Rebecca Watters wrote:
Thanks for the ideas, Jeeper..

I did check the normals, and they're all pointing outward as you described.  I feel like I'm missing something simple here..


On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Jeeper <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/08/2012 8:08 AM, DocSym wrote:
Hey all,

I'm attempting to design some basic things in Blender and export them into
OpenSim.  To be frank, I'm having a devil of a time.  My objects aren't
oriented correctly (for example, a torus that is oriented to look like a
wheel (on a truck) looks like it's laying on the ground instead of attached
to the axle.)  Some of my objects are missing parts, are see-through at
certain angles, and I can't figure out how to get that gosh darn invisible
box off of them so things (such as the soccer ball test I did) can actually
roll when made physical in OpenSim.


The see through problem is probably the normals need to be corrected.  Press "N" to open the properties, then under Mesh Display you can turn on Normals to see which way they are pointing. you want them pointing out, so  on the left side, there are options to recalculate and flip.  You might have to just select the faces that are wrong and flip them.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

DocSym
Wade, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the bounding box - worked like a charm. :)

I'm still troubled with this weird thing where the walls of my object appear to be missing when looking from the inside.  It's like having a hollow open cardboard box that, when you look in from the top, appears to not have sides, but when looking at it from the outside, looks like a normal box.  I've checked and my normals are all pointing outward and look good.. Any other ideas?

-DS

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Wade Schuette [via opensim-users] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I forget what the option is, but I recall the invisible bounding box can be
thwarted on import by some option in the "physics" set.

Sorry I'm too busy right not to go try to see what that option is.

Wade


On 8/30/12 9:36 AM, Rebecca Watters wrote:
Thanks for the ideas, Jeeper..

I did check the normals, and they're all pointing outward as you described.  I feel like I'm missing something simple here..


On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Jeeper <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/08/2012 8:08 AM, DocSym wrote:
Hey all,

I'm attempting to design some basic things in Blender and export them into
OpenSim.  To be frank, I'm having a devil of a time.  My objects aren't
oriented correctly (for example, a torus that is oriented to look like a
wheel (on a truck) looks like it's laying on the ground instead of attached
to the axle.)  Some of my objects are missing parts, are see-through at
certain angles, and I can't figure out how to get that gosh darn invisible
box off of them so things (such as the soccer ball test I did) can actually
roll when made physical in OpenSim.


The see through problem is probably the normals need to be corrected.  Press "N" to open the properties, then under Mesh Display you can turn on Normals to see which way they are pointing. you want them pointing out, so  on the left side, there are options to recalculate and flip.  You might have to just select the faces that are wrong and flip them.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Blender-Export-to-OpenSim-Arrrgh-tp7578496p7578513.html
To unsubscribe from Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blender Export to OpenSim - Arrrgh

Robert L martin
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:01 PM, DocSym <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still troubled with this weird thing where the walls of my object appear
> to be missing when looking from the inside.  It's like having a hollow open
> cardboard box that, when you look in from the top, appears to not have
> sides, but when looking at it from the outside, looks like a normal box.
> I've checked and my normals are all pointing outward and look good.. Any
> other ideas?
you need to setup things so you have textures on BOTH SIDES a brute
force way of doing this is to copy your object flip the normals (so
they are inside out) and then merge both objects (but you double your
verts that way)


anybody know how to set things up in a more elegant way??


--
Robert L Martin
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users