Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Toni Alatalo
Hi,

this is a very early minimal experiment so nothing usable yet, but
perhaps an interesting idea for users and I'm interested in getting
feedback on the idea. Blender as a client using LibOMV, a two way live
connection between Blender and Opensim .. you can move a prim in a
viewer and it moves in Blender(*), or move an object in Blender and it
moves immediately on the sim so the same movement is visible for other
viewers too.

A screenshot and more info, and the blend with the setup and source, at
http://playsign.fi/engine/BlenderOMV . Was planning to take a video, but
fraps captures only a single window and didn't have time anymore to test
other tools, so just a still now which is a bit boring.

Had thought for a long time whether this would work, so was happy to be
able to test it a bit today :) .. dunno if anything actually useful
could be made like this, perhaps, at least for basic scene editing
(placing objects with nicer tools). We'll be probably thinking about
this and other ways to integrate with Blender, perhaps on the viewer
side, when work on Realxtend continues in August (in July the team is on
holiday).

~Toni

(*) On Blender side the change shows only after you activate the window
triggering a redraw, a well known limitation of old Blender for network
synching. This will be fixed with the upcoming 2.5 version with the
rewritten internal event system, later this year. From Blender to
Opensim the sync is immediate, shows at the same time in Hippo as you
move the mouse in Blender.

Re: Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
Very cool.  Extra cool when the realextend support is fully integrated
into OpenSim.  The SL client is sort of your "renderer" for the scene in
context.  And a nice use of the OGP protocol stuff.  Very paper worthy
IMO.

Mike

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 20:44 +0000, Toni Alatalo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is a very early minimal experiment so nothing usable yet, but
> perhaps an interesting idea for users and I'm interested in getting
> feedback on the idea. Blender as a client using LibOMV, a two way live
> connection between Blender and Opensim .. you can move a prim in a
> viewer and it moves in Blender(*), or move an object in Blender and it
> moves immediately on the sim so the same movement is visible for other
> viewers too.
>
> A screenshot and more info, and the blend with the setup and source, at
> http://playsign.fi/engine/BlenderOMV . Was planning to take a video, but
> fraps captures only a single window and didn't have time anymore to test
> other tools, so just a still now which is a bit boring.
>
> Had thought for a long time whether this would work, so was happy to be
> able to test it a bit today :) .. dunno if anything actually useful
> could be made like this, perhaps, at least for basic scene editing
> (placing objects with nicer tools). We'll be probably thinking about
> this and other ways to integrate with Blender, perhaps on the viewer
> side, when work on Realxtend continues in August (in July the team is on
> holiday).
>
> ~Toni
>
> (*) On Blender side the change shows only after you activate the window
> triggering a redraw, a well known limitation of old Blender for network
> synching. This will be fixed with the upcoming 2.5 version with the
> rewritten internal event system, later this year. From Blender to
> Opensim the sync is immediate, shows at the same time in Hippo as you
> move the mouse in Blender.

Re: Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Teravus Ovares
I would have to agree, this is a fabulous demo.   Nice work!

Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Mike Dickson<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very cool.  Extra cool when the realextend support is fully integrated
> into OpenSim.  The SL client is sort of your "renderer" for the scene in
> context.  And a nice use of the OGP protocol stuff.  Very paper worthy
> IMO.
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 20:44 +0000, Toni Alatalo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a very early minimal experiment so nothing usable yet, but
>> perhaps an interesting idea for users and I'm interested in getting
>> feedback on the idea. Blender as a client using LibOMV, a two way live
>> connection between Blender and Opensim .. you can move a prim in a
>> viewer and it moves in Blender(*), or move an object in Blender and it
>> moves immediately on the sim so the same movement is visible for other
>> viewers too.
>>
>> A screenshot and more info, and the blend with the setup and source, at
>> http://playsign.fi/engine/BlenderOMV . Was planning to take a video, but
>> fraps captures only a single window and didn't have time anymore to test
>> other tools, so just a still now which is a bit boring.
>>
>> Had thought for a long time whether this would work, so was happy to be
>> able to test it a bit today :) .. dunno if anything actually useful
>> could be made like this, perhaps, at least for basic scene editing
>> (placing objects with nicer tools). We'll be probably thinking about
>> this and other ways to integrate with Blender, perhaps on the viewer
>> side, when work on Realxtend continues in August (in July the team is on
>> holiday).
>>
>> ~Toni
>>
>> (*) On Blender side the change shows only after you activate the window
>> triggering a redraw, a well known limitation of old Blender for network
>> synching. This will be fixed with the upcoming 2.5 version with the
>> rewritten internal event system, later this year. From Blender to
>> Opensim the sync is immediate, shows at the same time in Hippo as you
>> move the mouse in Blender.

Re: Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Jeroen van Veen
awesome! How does it handle blender modifiers?

Regards

Jeroen

Jeroen van Veen kirjoitti:
> awesome! How does it handle blender modifiers?

currently not at all. this was just a first quick proof of concept hack
i did in some 4-5 hours yesterday. it doesn't deal with geometry at all,
just positions.

to vanilla opensim i don't know if modifiers would make any sense, is
there anything corresponding?

was thinking this could be an opensim client, supporting things that
sl/opensim does, and meshes of course with rex. and might be quickly
useful for better placement of objects, and could integrate the ogre
export so would have seamless (and mass) upload of meshes too.

Dahlia also told / reminded me that she did the initial primmesher work
in Blender in py. So it might be possible to get some level of prim
support easily .. at least enough to recognize what the diff objects
would be so you could actually work on the positionings :p

for the future, i think we all would like to have something like this in
all the tools ..
http://yorik.orgfree.com/tutorials/parametricobjects-blender.html

> Jeroen

~Toni

> On Wednesday 01 July 2009 22:54:23 Teravus Ovares wrote:
>
>> I would have to agree, this is a fabulous demo.   Nice work!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Teravus
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Mike Dickson<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Very cool.  Extra cool when the realextend support is fully integrated
>>> into OpenSim.  The SL client is sort of your "renderer" for the scene in
>>> context.  And a nice use of the OGP protocol stuff.  Very paper worthy
>>> IMO.
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: Blender as an Opensim client for scene editing

Sean Dague-2
Teravus Ovares wrote:
> I would have to agree, this is a fabulous demo.   Nice work!

Definitely cool stuff.  I love this idea of integrating out of world
tools with the in world environment.

If anyone else is looking for a cool demo, it would be great to do a
similar thing with a Gimp or Photoshop plugin, which would let artists
use their texturing tools directly on in world surfaces.

So many possibilities here,

        -Sean

Sean Dague                                       Mid-Hudson Valley
[hidden email]                                 Linux Users Group
http://dague.net                                 http://mhvlug.org

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors

Sean Dague kirjoitti:
> similar thing with a Gimp or Photoshop plugin, which would let artists
> use their texturing tools directly on in world surfaces.

Verse did this with Gimp, quite promising. Typically the problem with
adding networking to an application that was not written with it in mind
is that things you are interested in, like when a part of an image
changes, are not exposed from the application core. The Verse guys even
forked gimp first to be able to do it. Later the plugin we used was for
stock gimp, not fork, and it had to periodically scan the image and
compare whether something in it had changed .. worked ok. Verse is quite
clever in how it can transfer parts of textures as tiles for live
updates (like it can move individual vertices of a mesh etc).

But also just being able to directly download/upload a whole image from
your image app over e.g. libomv would be useful, and perhaps simple to
do, so a good idea indeed.

> -Sean

~Toni