Boat script for bullet engine

tringate
I have been trying to modify the vehicle script for the bulletsim-jetbike v1.0.lsl written by Shin Ingen.  I want to use the script in a Jet Ski.

The issues I need to solve are:
- do not sink when driver sits
- detect region borders and veer away
- detect shoreline and veer away

The most critical of these is the first.  Searching using Google shows that the most common problem for a boat is that it sinks when the driver
gets on the boat.  I am able to keep the boat afloat using the above script if I never turn it.  Once I maneuver at all it slowly sinks to the bottom.

Unfortunately, after reading for many hours about vehicles in the wiki, I find nothing I change or try does anything but make it worse.

There are no published working bullet scripts for a boat that I could find as an example to achieve a boat that would maneuver and stay floating.

Is there such a script?  If so can someone point me to it please.

The above script is really a lot of fun speeding around a region diving into water, scaling mountains and flying back to ground level.
As long as you avoid the regions borders it is great.
I have added code to detect the borders, veer away and slow down while doing it.
Unfortunately there is no way I have found to do this the same way as running into a non phantom prim.
I have to set the border limit to 15 meters to give the script time to react, slow the vehicle and start the turn operation.
It is still possible to overshoot the border and that is sudden death for this script and vehicle.

Tom

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

Mister Blue
As BulletSim's maintainer, I would like to fix the problems you've been finding.

I thought I'd fixed the sinking problem in the latest master. There used to be a problem with setting buoyancy (BulletSim is like SL when dealing with buoyancy and vehicles and not like ODE).

If you can file a Mantis with a short script that fails, I will take a look at it. I want vehicles to work with BulletSim.

== MB

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Thomas Ringate <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MB,

Thanks for your response and interest to see what is wrong.  I worked today at removing all the fluff from the script and only having in it what is needed to show the problem.

I want to apologies right up front if this is a script problem and not an actual code bug in opensim.  I do not understand how the vehicle parameters affect one another very well, and this is not a script I wrote but rather one I am trying to modify for my purpose.

The float problem does appear to be real.

If I only move forward and backwards everything is fine, if I try to turn or if I should collide with anything then I sink never again to be able to float.

I will document my experience in the mantis report.

Tom

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

tringate
Mister Blue,

I closed the mantis.  The problem was with not setting hover height to something other than zero.  That is the value used in the lsl wiki and I thought it meant to hover right on the water, not disable hover.

I will post this script once I finish cleaning it up and commenting it.  Then others like me will be able to find it in the forum in the script section for something that works.  They can modify it to their liking and add other features.

Tom

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

Mister Blue
There have been several requests for sample scripts  that are known to work. With all the scripts floating around, it is hard to find the right place to start.

If I was to start collecting such scripts, where should they be stored so new scripters will find them?

==mb

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Thomas Ringate <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mister Blue,

I closed the mantis.  The problem was with not setting hover height to something other than zero.  That is the value used in the lsl wiki and I thought it meant to hover right on the water, not disable hover.

I will post this script once I finish cleaning it up and commenting it.  Then others like me will be able to find it in the forum in the script section for something that works.  They can modify it to their liking and add other features.

Tom

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

tringate
The wiki would be a good place.  I posted mine to the OSgrid forum in the script section.  Hopefully it will be added to the consolidated list of scripts there, making it easier to find.

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

Vegaslon

* is not opposed to a sample script wiki page if it is made easier to find then the current bulletsim vehicle tweaking pages. Also think any example vehicle scripts should be hosted on a wiki so future inprovements that change behavior for these scripts can be documented. With the hope people will look at these pages as a trouble shooter to find solutions when they notice altered behavior in their vehicles.

On Jun 11, 2015 8:43 AM, "Thomas Ringate" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The wiki would be a good place.  I posted mine to the OSgrid forum in the script section.  Hopefully it will be added to the consolidated list of scripts there, making it easier to find.

Re: Boat script for bullet engine

Maxwell, Douglas CIV (US)

+1 on sample script wiki page.  It is cumbersome to host them in our Git repo.

Douglas Maxwell
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
Simulation & Training Technology Center
(c) <a tabindex="0" style="font: 13px/normal arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(17, 85, 204); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" target="_blank" value="&#43;14072420209">(407) 242-0209