Book on building mono applications in Linux

Book on building mono applications in Linux

Frank W Sweet
So far, I have kept my Opensim app up to date with Tortoise and build
it using ASP.NET in MS Visual Studio 2008 under Windows. I have added
my own script functions using C#. I run two concurrent Opensim
instances (a 2-region standalone and a region plugged into OSgrid) on
an office deskstop over a home cable. Now I am ready to move my
regions to a Linux VPS with full production bandwidth.

I am an experienced professional programmer in Windows but I lack
Linux developer experience. Can anyone recommend a book that teaches
Linux development (subversion, make, build) but DOES NOT get bogged
down teaching C#?

Thank you,
Frank W Sweet
Backintyme Publishing

Re: Book on building mono applications in Linux

Bulli
I don't have a reference to any Mono books, but why bother?

I think you can still build your servers on windows.... then copy them
over to the Linux-boxes and run them there.

For me it works the other way around at least: I tend to build some
libomv applications on Linux using mono and then run them under
Windows.

Regards,

Bulli Schumann

Re: Book on building mono applications in Linux

Mike Mazur

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:22:24 -0400
"Frank W Sweet" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am an experienced professional programmer in Windows but I lack
> Linux developer experience. Can anyone recommend a book that teaches
> Linux development (subversion, make, build) but DOES NOT get bogged
> down teaching C#?

You will find that information about a lot of what you need to do with
OpenSim is readily available online for free. For example, the
book "Version Control with Subversion" (aka "svnbook") is at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

NAnt is used to build OpenSim on Linux:

http://nant.sourceforge.net/release/latest/help/

You should be able to install everything you need to run OpenSim (mono,
nant, subversion) with the package manager that comes with your Linux
distribution (ie: yum on RedHat-based systems, apt-get on Debian-based
systems). Also, if you're completely new to Linux, you'll probably
benefit from reading about the Linux command line interface. There are
a few, but chances are you'll be using bash. There are plenty of bash
resources online:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+shell+for+beginners

So, in general, if you need to learn something new, look it up on the
web and learn as you go. :D

HTH,
Mike

Re: Book on building mono applications in Linux

matt raffel
Frank,

We share a familiar background/fate.  :) One tool I found that works
great in linux for C# is SharpDevelop.   It is very close to a Visual
Studio replacement.  And I feel very small learning curve.
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Matt

Mike Mazur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:22:24 -0400
> "Frank W Sweet" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I am an experienced professional programmer in Windows but I lack
>> Linux developer experience. Can anyone recommend a book that teaches
>> Linux development (subversion, make, build) but DOES NOT get bogged
>> down teaching C#?
>>

> You will find that information about a lot of what you need to do with
> OpenSim is readily available online for free. For example, the
> book "Version Control with Subversion" (aka "svnbook") is at:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>
> NAnt is used to build OpenSim on Linux:
>
> http://nant.sourceforge.net/release/latest/help/
>
> You should be able to install everything you need to run OpenSim (mono,
> nant, subversion) with the package manager that comes with your Linux
> distribution (ie: yum on RedHat-based systems, apt-get on Debian-based
> systems). Also, if you're completely new to Linux, you'll probably
> benefit from reading about the Linux command line interface. There are
> a few, but chances are you'll be using bash. There are plenty of bash
> resources online:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+shell+for+beginners
>
> So, in general, if you need to learn something new, look it up on the
> web and learn as you go. :D
>
> HTH,
> Mike

Re: Book on building mono applications in Linux

Frank W Sweet
A big "Thank you" to Bulli, Mike, and Matt for your help. I was
absolutely stunned by Bulli's saying that the EXEs and DLLs compiled
under Windows would run unchanged under Linux. I would have thought
that the OS APIs were incompatible. It just goes to show how little I
know about Linux. Anyway, I dragged my bin directory from W-XP to
Ubuntu, kicked it off, and incredibly it ran.

Actually, it crashed when it tried to load a DLL, but I am pretty sure
that is because it did not know which directory it was running inside.
(My launcher "bat" file, my region XML's, and my ini's are all in a
directory outside of and separate from my bin directory for obvious
reasons.) I am pretty sure there must be a way that I can tell a Linux
program that it is running inside a directory that is not where the
launch "bat" is running from (the Linux equivalent to the "start in"
parameter of the W-Xp shortcut.).

Again, thank you very much, guys. You learn something new every day.
In case anyone is curious, I have appended below the applicable log.

Frank W Sweet
Backintyme Publishing

log4net:ERROR XmlHierarchyConfigurator: No appender named
[NHibernateFileLog] could be found.
log4net:ERROR XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Appender named
[NHibernateFileLog] not found.
11:22:38 - Performing compatibility checks...
11:22:38 - Environment is compatible.
11:22:39 - [CONFIG]: Reading configuration settings
11:22:39 - [CONFIG]: Reading configuration file
/home/fwsweet/VM06FTP/OpensimExe/OARs/gridtsor2.ini
11:22:39 - [STARTUP]: Beginning startup processing
11:22:39 - [STARTUP]: Version: OpenSimulator Server  0.6.3
11:22:39 -
11:22:39 - =================== STARTING HYPERGRID NODE
========================
11:22:39 -
11:22:39 -
11:22:39 - ========================= STARTING OPENSIM
=========================
11:22:39 -
11:22:39 - [OPENSIM MAIN]: Running in grid mode
11:22:40 - [DATASTORE]: Attempting to load OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll
11:22:40 - [APPLICATION]:
APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs
Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or
assembly 'OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll' or one of its dependencies. The
system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll'
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:LoadFrom
(string,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom (System.String assemblyFile)
[0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.Framework.StorageManager..ctor (System.String
dllName, System.String connectionstring, System.String
estateconnectionstring) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateStorageManager (System.String
connectionstring, System.String estateconnectionstring) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateStorageManager () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.RegionApplicationBase.StartupSpecific
() [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.HGOpenSimNode.StartupSpecific () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
Application is terminating: True

Re: Book on building mono applications in Linux

Bulli
Frank,

just to make sure you don't draw the wrong conclusions...

The fact that the OpenSim software will run both on Windows and Linux
(on Intel) is based on the fact that its development is based on .Net.

As I understand it, .Net applications will use the .Net runtime on
Windows and the Mono runtime on Linux (or even other OS-es on which
Mono is supported). See http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Bulli