Building on OSX

Timothy Hart
This has been a long issue for me and am hoping there is someone out there who know the answer.

I am on OS X (10.5 and 10.6). Mono 2.4. Building the latest .6.6 source of OpenSim.

The error I get after running nant is...

Failed to initialize the 'Mono 3.5 Profile' (mono-3.5) target framework.

    Unable to locate 'mono' module using pkg-config. Download the Mono development packages from http://www.mono-project.com/downloads/.

For more information regarding the cause of the build failure, run the build again in debug mode.

Try 'nant -help' for more information

I know it has something to do with my path for pkg-config. I have googled the crap out of it but nothing is working. I have added
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig to my .bashrc file. No luck.

I also tried adding it to my /usr/bin/nant.
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig

What is going on? I would greatly appreciate any help. I will make you cookies if you can get this working for me.

Re: Building on OSX

Paul Fishwick
I had problems with this too. For me, the following seemed to work:

1. Install XCode  first (the development environment)

    http://developer.apple.com/TOOLS/Xcode/

2. Install Mac Ports (great for getting unix utils)

    http://www.macports.org/

3. Using Mac ports at a screen, "port install nant"

    I found that this automatically brings in mono as well as nant, if I
recall correctly.

-p

Timothy Hart wrote:

> This has been a long issue for me and am hoping there is someone out
> there who know the answer.
>
> I am on OS X (10.5 and 10.6). Mono 2.4. Building the latest .6.6
> source of OpenSim.
>
> The error I get after running nant is...
>
> Failed to initialize the 'Mono 3.5 Profile' (mono-3.5) target framework.
>
>     Unable to locate 'mono' module using pkg-config. Download the Mono
> development packages from http://www.mono-project.com/downloads/.
>
> For more information regarding the cause of the build failure, run the
> build again in debug mode.
>
> Try 'nant -help' for more information
>

> I know it has something to do with my path for pkg-config. I have
> googled the crap out of it but nothing is working. I have added
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig to my .bashrc file. No luck.
>
> I also tried adding it to my /usr/bin/nant.
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig
>

> What is going on? I would greatly appreciate any help. I will make you cookies if you can get this working for me.

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Building on OSX

Timothy Hart
Aha. That did it. Thanks a million. Hope Google will pick this thread up for others to find.

Timothy Hart wrote:
> This has been a long issue for me and am hoping there is someone out
> there who know the answer.
>
> I am on OS X (10.5 and 10.6). Mono 2.4. Building the latest .6.6
> source of OpenSim.
>
> The error I get after running nant is...
>
> Failed to initialize the 'Mono 3.5 Profile' (mono-3.5) target framework.
>
>     Unable to locate 'mono' module using pkg-config. Download the Mono
> development packages from http://www.mono-project.com/downloads/.
>
> For more information regarding the cause of the build failure, run the
> build again in debug mode.
>
> Try 'nant -help' for more information
>

> I know it has something to do with my path for pkg-config. I have
> googled the crap out of it but nothing is working. I have added
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig to my .bashrc file. No luck.
>
> I also tried adding it to my /usr/bin/nant.
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig
>

> What is going on? I would greatly appreciate any help. I will make you cookies if you can get this working for me.

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Building on OSX

Karen_Palen
Don't make cookies, update the wiki so we can all see it next time we run into the same issue!

The Opensim docs are spread all over the internet!

The SHOULD be in the wiki - even if it is only a hyperlink to the tutorial or "how to"!

This IS a community effort and IMHO that is what community is all about!

Karen

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Timothy Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is going on? I would greatly appreciate any help. I
> will make you cookies if you can get this working for me.

Re: Building on OSX

Stefan Andersson-3

Add to wiki?

/Stefan

Timothy Hart wrote:
> This has been a long issue for me and am hoping there is someone out
> there who know the answer.
>
> I am on OS X (10.5 and 10.6). Mono 2.4. Building the latest .6.6
> source of OpenSim.
>
> The error I get after running nant is...
>
> Failed to initialize the 'Mono 3.5 Profile' (mono-3.5) target framework.
>
>     Unable to locate 'mono' module using pkg-config. Download the Mono
> development packages from http://www.mono-project.com/downloads/.
>
> For more information regarding the cause of the build failure, run the
> build again in debug mode.
>
> Try 'nant -help' for more information
>

> I know it has something to do with my path for pkg-config. I have
> googled the crap out of it but nothing is working. I have added
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig to my .bashrc file. No luck.
>
> I also tried adding it to my /usr/bin/nant.
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib/pkgconfig
>

> What is going on? I would greatly appreciate any help. I will make you cookies if you can get this working for me.

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Building on OSX

Timothy Hart
Already did it. Hopefully it makes sense.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Add to wiki?

/Stefan