Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Roger BUCK
Using latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import textures
so that they may be available for use by all users?

For example, what procedure would be required to import the following
texture collection into diva:

http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack

What we have tried:

Had success using meerkat to import these textures for 'personal' use
(for an individual user/avatar) as described here:

http://louisianametaverse.ning.com/profiles/blogs/moving-content-to-opensim

...but importing the same texture set multiple times (once for each
user) doesn't seem to make much sense?

Have found some references to using 'Prim Composer' to import textures,
but again, no explicit instructions about how this might be achieved:

http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/

Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable back-end import
solution... or anything similar... but all without luck.

All hints/ help appreciated.

R.

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

James Stallings II
Very simple.

1. Upload all textures you wish to provide to a single avatar account.
2. Create a single working folder with optional subfolders to prepare a logically organized collection of textures for presentation to the user.
3. save iar *only that folder* (the working folder mentioned previously) that contains the textures you wish to make available in the library.
4. move/copy the iar file per Diva's instructions.

HTH
James
SimHost.Com

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Roger BUCK <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Diva Canto
Import them to one user's inventory, then make an IAR from it. Then
place that IAR under bin/Library -- that will place it under the Library
for everyone to use.

Roger BUCK wrote:

> Using latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import textures
> so that they may be available for use by all users?
>
> For example, what procedure would be required to import the following
> texture collection into diva:
>
> http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack
>
> What we have tried:
>
> Had success using meerkat to import these textures for 'personal' use
> (for an individual user/avatar) as described here:
>
> http://louisianametaverse.ning.com/profiles/blogs/moving-content-to-opensim
>
> ...but importing the same texture set multiple times (once for each
> user) doesn't seem to make much sense?
>
> Have found some references to using 'Prim Composer' to import textures,
> but again, no explicit instructions about how this might be achieved:
>
> http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/
>
> Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable back-end import
> solution... or anything similar... but all without luck.
>
> All hints/ help appreciated.
>
> R.

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Karen_Palen
This seems like it would be something useful to include as part of the default distro., at least as an option like Diva's large collection.

> 1. Upload all textures you wish to provide to a
> single avatar account.2. Create a single working
> folder with optional subfolders to prepare a logically
> organized collection of textures for presentation to the
> user.
> 3. save iar *only that folder* (the working folder
> mentioned previously) that contains the textures you wish to
> make available in the library.4. move/copy the
> iar file per Diva's instructions.
>
> HTHJamesSimHost.Com
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM,
> Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Using
> latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import
> textures
>
> so that they may be available for use by all users?
>

> For example, what procedure would be required to import the
> following
>
> texture collection into diva:
>

> http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack
>

> What we have tried:
>

> Had success using meerkat to import these textures for
> 'personal' use
>
> (for an individual user/avatar) as described here:
>

> http://louisianametaverse.ning.com/profiles/blogs/moving-content-to-opensim
>

> ...but importing the same texture set multiple times (once
> for each
>
> user) doesn't seem to make much sense?
>

> Have found some references to using 'Prim Composer'
> to import textures,
>
> but again, no explicit instructions about how this might be
> achieved:
>

> http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/
>

> Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable back-end
> import
>
> solution... or anything similar... but all without luck.
>

> All hints/ help appreciated.
>

> R.

> ===================================
> http://osgrid.org
> http://del.icio.us/SPQR
> http://twitter.com/jstallings2
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

John Mieske
Indeed !

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems like it would be something useful to include as part of the default distro., at least as an option like Diva's large collection.

> 1. Upload all textures you wish to provide to a
> single avatar account.2. Create a single working
> folder with optional subfolders to prepare a logically
> organized collection of textures for presentation to the
> user.
> 3. save iar *only that folder* (the working folder
> mentioned previously) that contains the textures you wish to
> make available in the library.4. move/copy the
> iar file per Diva's instructions.
>
> HTHJamesSimHost.Com
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM,
> Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Using
> latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import
> textures
>
> so that they may be available for use by all users?
>

> For example, what procedure would be required to import the
> following
>
> texture collection into diva:
>

> http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack
>

> What we have tried:
>

> Had success using meerkat to import these textures for
> 'personal' use
>
> (for an individual user/avatar) as described here:
>

> http://louisianametaverse.ning.com/profiles/blogs/moving-content-to-opensim
>

> ...but importing the same texture set multiple times (once
> for each
>
> user) doesn't seem to make much sense?
>

> Have found some references to using 'Prim Composer'
> to import textures,
>
> but again, no explicit instructions about how this might be
> achieved:
>

> http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/
>

> Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable back-end
> import
>
> solution... or anything similar... but all without luck.
>

> All hints/ help appreciated.
>

> R.

> ===================================
> http://osgrid.org
> http://del.icio.us/SPQR
> http://twitter.com/jstallings2
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

John Mieske / Sonya Pencuca
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station
"Religion - The art of killing people to prove who's imaginary friend is better."

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

DZ-2
Folks..

How about a discussion about how you are going to comply with the simple requests Torley makes on his flicker page..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/

 Its almost the first text on the page...starting out...
"All Torley Textures are 512x512 in (lossless) PNG format and seamlessly tiling.

And then asking nice....
"Use 'em almost however you want — just don't resell as-is"

Finally being quite specific about what legal use requires..
"This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License."

I suppose if you name the library "Torleys CC texture pack from http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/" ....
 you can get "around" the CC show attribution requirement,   but I'm curious as to how you see this as  not "reselling" it  as-is...

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

John Mieske
The only thing I can see, that I have seen other sites do is to setup the ZIP folder with all content intact into the specified XML files . Then all the user has to do is unzip the contents into the folder that it needs to go via the instructions in the ZIP file on how to do that. Its not comming "with" the package per say. but setup a link to it from the Distro as a complimentory pack.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems like it would be something useful to include as part of the default distro., at least as an option like Diva's large collection.

> 1. Upload all textures you wish to provide to a
> single avatar account.2. Create a single working
> folder with optional subfolders to prepare a logically
> organized collection of textures for presentation to the
> user.
> 3. save iar *only that folder* (the working folder
> mentioned previously) that contains the textures you wish to
> make available in the library.4. move/copy the
> iar file per Diva's instructions.
>
> HTHJamesSimHost.Com
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM,
> Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Using
> latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import
> textures
>
> so that they may be available for use by all users?
>

> For example, what procedure would be required to import the
> following
>
> texture collection into diva:
>

> http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack
>

> What we have tried:
>

> Had success using meerkat to import these textures for
> 'personal' use
>
> (for an individual user/avatar) as described here:
>

> http://louisianametaverse.ning.com/profiles/blogs/moving-content-to-opensim
>

> ...but importing the same texture set multiple times (once
> for each
>
> user) doesn't seem to make much sense?
>

> Have found some references to using 'Prim Composer'
> to import textures,
>
> but again, no explicit instructions about how this might be
> achieved:
>

> http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/
>

> Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable back-end
> import
>
> solution... or anything similar... but all without luck.
>

> All hints/ help appreciated.
>

> R.

> ===================================
> http://osgrid.org
> http://del.icio.us/SPQR
> http://twitter.com/jstallings2
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

John Mieske / Sonya Pencuca
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station
"Religion - The art of killing people to prove who's imaginary friend is better."

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Diva Canto
As far as this discussion is concerned, no one seems to be selling
anything. The content is free to distribute under CC with attribution.
The license says
"You are free:
     * to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
     * to Remix — to adapt the work
"

I wasn't planning to, but now I'm going to add this collection to my
github site, just to make a point.

dz wrote:

> Folks..
>
> How about a discussion about how you are going to comply with the simple
> requests Torley makes on his flicker page..
>
>  >  http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/
>
>  Its almost the first text on the page...starting out...
> "All Torley Textures are 512x512 in (lossless) PNG format and seamlessly
> tiling.
>
> And then asking nice....
> "Use 'em almost however you want — just don't resell as-is"
>
> Finally being quite specific about what legal use requires..
> "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United
> States License."
>

> I suppose if you name the library "Torleys CC texture pack from
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/" ....
>  you can get "around" the CC show attribution requirement,   but I'm
> curious as to how you see this as  not "reselling" it  as-is...

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Karen_Palen
Seems to me that inclusion in an Open Source distribution qualifies nicely for this!

I would expect that the license terms etc. would be included as well.

Is anything else needed?

Karen

> How about a discussion about how you are going to comply
> with the simple requests Torley makes on his flicker page..
>
> >  http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/
>

>  Its almost the first text on the page...starting out...
> "All Torley Textures are 512x512 in (lossless) PNG
> format and seamlessly tiling.
>
> And then asking nice....
> "Use 'em almost however you want — just
> don't resell as-is"
>

> Finally being quite specific about what legal use
> requires..
> "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 United States License."
>

> I suppose if you name the library "Torleys CC texture
> pack from http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/collections/72157594588432564/"
>
>  you can get "around" the CC show attribution
> requirement,   but I'm curious as to how you see this
> as  not "reselling" it  as-is...

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Karen_Palen
Diva has set up her distro to accept a simple IAR file in the bin directory. It automatically loads every time the sim is booted.

That certainly seems to be the preferred way to add large amounts of content to the user library.

I haven't looked, but I would assume that the process of adding this to the trunk is not particularly difficult.

Karen

> [...]
> might be
>
> > achieved:
>

> > http://liferain.com/downloads/prim-composer-baking-and-texture-upload/
>

> > Have spent a few hours googling for a scriptable
> back-end
>
> > import
>

> > solution... or anything similar... but all without
> luck.
>

> > All hints/ help appreciated.
>

> > R.

> > --
>
> > ===================================
>
> > http://osgrid.org
>
> > http://del.icio.us/SPQR
>
> > http://twitter.com/jstallings2
>

> > http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49
>

> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> John Mieske / Sonya Pencuca
> http://johnmieske.org
> Space Grid Station
> "Religion - The art of killing people to prove

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
If there's any question why don't you simply write Torley and ask him.  He put the time into collecting/developing them. A note that discusses how you plan to meet the license criteria is easy to do and shows respect for his efforts.

Mike

Karen Palen wrote:
> Diva has set up her distro to accept a simple IAR file in the bin directory.
 > It automatically loads every time the sim is booted.

When creating additional .iar files copied to./bin/Library, then they
only seem to appear when loaded manually from the region console using
something like

Any hints on how additional *.iar archives can be loaded automatically?

R.

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Roger BUCK
We found that bulk upload of textures is possible but did not work as
expected using any documentation that we were able to find.

We did have limited success but Particular problem include:
  1. unable to create archives containing sub-folders (not possible to
save or load archives more than one folder level deep)

  2. obtained sharing violation errors when attemting to correct
previous archive failure

  3. obtained path errors when source item path did not include a
wildcard or a unique filename

In case anyone wishes to benefit form our success... or help solve our
failure(s), here is what we did:

Having successfully imported textures for a single user using Meerkat,
we attempted to create save these items to an Inventory Archive so that
they may be accessible to all users as described in the wiki item
available here:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives

The procedure that we used is described  below in case anyone wants to
repeat and/or can identify what we are doing wrong, or in case the
limitations are result of a bug?

For example, to import the following texture collection (Torley
Textures) into diva distro:

http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack

We first downloaded and unzipped the 'Torley Textures' collection and
unzipped to workstation where we had pre-installed or Meerkat browser
(link to Torley textures collection link mentioned above).

To import our textures, we performed following procedure:
1. Open Meerkat browser and click on 'Inventory' button on RHS

2. Click on 'My Inventory' to open the folder list

3. Right-click on 'Textures' -> 'New Folder' and create new folder named
'Torley Textures'

4. Right click on the new folder, and create a new subfolder called
'Torley Textures I'

5. Click on the Meerkat Menu Bar 'File' button (top LHS menu bar) and
choose the 'Bulk Upload (L$0 per file)' menu item
Roger wrote:

6. Browse to the folder named 'Torley Textures' that was created by
unzipping the 'Torley-Textures.zip' texture archive file.

7. You should see a list of sub-folders (including folder names 'Torley
Textures I', 'Torley Textures II' and so on...).

8: Open the 'Torley Textures I' folder and Shift-click your mouse to
select all of the *.png files in that folder, then click on 'Open'
  - You should see a number of images start to appear on your screen as
each of the new texture image files is uploaded into you inventory: This
may take a few minutes... You may also see a popup message "You paid L$0
to upload". To clear that message, you may first have to close your
session (File -> Quit) and then log back in.
9. When you next login, you should see that your newly imported textures
now appear inside:
    'Inventory->My Inventory->Torley Textures->Torley Textures I'

Repeat steps 5 to 9 to import contents of additional folders. The names
of your own folders do not need to match the names of the folders that
you are importing

It is possible to copy + paste + delete one or more textures if you wish
to re-locate them in an alternative folders.

The above procedure is based on this suggestion:

James Stallings II wrote:
 > 1. Upload all textures you wish to provide to a single avatar
 >  account.
 > 2. Create a single working folder with optional subfolders
 > to prepare a logically organized collection of textures for
 > presentation to the user.
 > 3. save iar *only that folder* (the working folder mentioned
 > previously) that contains the textures you wish to make
 > available in the library.
 > 4. move/copy the iar file per Diva's instructions.

Having imported next textures, we attempted to create an archive file so
that we could make the new textures easily available to all users as
described here:

[hidden email] wrote:

> Import them to one user's inventory, then make an IAR from it.
> Then lace that IAR under bin/Library -- that will place it
> under the Library  for everyone to use.
>
> Roger BUCK wrote:
>> Using latest diva distro on linux box, how can we bulk import
>> textures so that they may be available for use by all users?
>>
>> For example, what procedure would be required to import the
>> following texture collection into diva:
>>
>> http://torley.com/torley-textures-available-for-download-in-a-single-zip-pack

To complete the above, we connected to opensim server region console
screen to create an archive file: 'To_Library.iar'

10. Make sure that the user from whom you wish to export the newly
created textures is logged into the region from which you wish to export
the new archive - this means that you have to login from Meerkat browser
  while you are performing the export via the region console on the server

11: Enter following command from region console screen (depending on
your folder names):

save iar Joe Blo "Texture/Torley Textures" pass Library/To_Library.iar

Above command  should be entered all on one line.

According to docs, this should create an archive file that includes
content from sub-folder tree (including
   'Texture/Torley Textures/Torley Textures I/*'
   'Textures/Torely Textures/Torley Textures II/*'
and so on - but we had no luck with this. We found that we had to create
a unique archive for the contents of each folder.

Creating archives (using above method) that includes collections of
sub-folders did not seem to work.

Error messages:
16:25:45 - Command error: System.IO.IOException: Invalid argument(s)
WriteInternal at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.CheckResult (Int32
result, System.String where) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The above process also leaves behind a failed copy of the .iar file that
will cause subsequent save commands to fail with error message:
16:29:25 - Command error: System.IO.IOException: Sharing violation on
path /opt/opensim/bin/Library/To_Library.iar

16:19:36 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Saving archive Texture_Library.iar
using inventory path Torley Textures for Joe Blo
16:19:36 - [INVENTORY SERVICE]: Found 0 items and 14 folders in folder
2a1c9146-ff29-4a99-9053-567a2d387d9b
16:19:36 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Aborted save.  Could not find inventory
path Torley Textures

To successfully create an archive file, it seems you must create a
unique archive for each folder and use a wildcard character or unique
file name on the path - for example, this should work for above example
names:

save iar Joe Blo "Textures/Torley Textures/Torley Textures I/*" pass
Library/To_Library.iar

Again, the above command all on one line and notice the trailing slash
and wildcard: '/*'

If you see a 'sharing violation' error or 'inventory path' error - then
remove the old copy of To_Library.iar file above and re-try using a
valid path (may take some experimentation to find correct path - also
note use of quotation marks to specify paths in case they include
white-space)

In our above example, when correctly saved, the To_Library.iar file had
a size of 4004991 bytes

We were unable to create an archive file that included sub-folders -
Instead, we had to create a unique archive for each foler  - as per
examples:
filesize | IAR archive name
---------+------------------------------
  7823300  Torley_Textures_Desat_Library.iar
  1967632  Torley_Textures_Dreams_Library.iar
  2464933  Torley_Textures_III_Library.iar
  4926587  Torley_Textures_II_Library.iar
  4096408  Torley_Textures_IV_Library.iar
... and so on

In case any has suggestions, please reply and we will test and post results.

R.

Re: Bulk Import Textures for Global Use

Karen_Palen
Yes, Diva actually has a README that details this.

Look in RELEASENOTES.txt

To summarize Diva's instructions:

You must enable the Library module.

Then the .iar files are simply added to the /bin/Library folder, in my case:

/home/howe/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library

and it looks like this:

howe@howe:~/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library$ ls -l
total 61676
-rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe 23640479 2010-01-17 16:37 Clothing Library (Karen).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe  1458140 2009-12-24 09:52 Clothing Library (small).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe 35795952 2009-12-23 21:55 Objects Library (large).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe  2178791 2009-12-24 09:52 Objects Library (small).iar
howe@howe:~/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library$

The (Karen) library is my creation, the other three are supplied by Diva.

Karen

Karen Palen wrote:
 > Yes, Diva actually has a README that details this.
 > Look in RELEASENOTES.txt
 >  To summarize Diva's instructions:
 >  You must enable the Library module.

Thanks for pointing to the RELEASENOTES.txt - too often overlooked :)

Unfortunately the problem seems a bit more complicated:

In my tests, new 'top' level library items do not appear in viewer
inventory when loaded via the diva module - the debug messages say that
they are loaded into 'top' but they do not appear in viewer - here is
debug of load:
[--snip--]
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Loading library archive Library/MyTexture
Library (desat).iar (MyTexture Library (desat))...
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Got content for folder OpenSim Library
(diva distro)
18:22:53 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Inventory path  MyTexture Library does
not exist
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Didn't find  MyTexture Library in library.
Placing archive on the top level
18:22:54 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Loaded 50 assets...
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Loaded 100 assets...
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Successfully loaded 102 assets with 0
failures
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Successfully loaded 102 items
[--snip--]

Also, if the library file is re-named to match a valid existing
inventory folder, then some library items appear in _some_ viewers but
not others. For example all may appear in SL viewer but  do not appear
in Meerkat for example even when the debug messages appear to be correct:
[-- snip --]
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Loading library archive Library/MyTexture
Library (desat).iar (MyTexture Library (desat))...
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Got content for folder OpenSim Library
(diva distro)
18:22:53 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Inventory path  MyTexture Library does
not exist
18:22:53 - [LIBRARY MODULE]: Didn't find  MyTexture Library in library.
Placing archive on the top level
18:22:54 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Loaded 50 assets...
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Loaded 100 assets...
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Successfully loaded 102 assets with 0
failures
18:22:55 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Successfully loaded 102 items
[--snip--]

The library items do seem to apper in _all_ viewers when loaded manually
for individual users

Here is partial listin of contents of Library folder:
rb@server:~/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  1458140 Dec 25 03:52 Clothing Library (small).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  7823300 Feb  9 13:22 MyTexture Library (desat).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb 35795952 Jan 19 17:30 Objects Library (large).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  7823300 Feb  9 13:22 Texture Library (desat).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  1967632 Feb  9 13:25 Texture Library (dreams).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  3893518 Feb  9 13:27 Texture Library (i).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  4926587 Feb  9 13:27 Texture Library (ii).iar
-rw-r--r-- 1 rb rb  2464933 Feb  9 13:27 Texture Library (iii).iar
[--snip--]

All the 'Texture Library *.iar' files were generated locally from Torley
Textures.

It also appears that the auto-load works only in diva distro (not in
OpenSim distro yet?)

So, in my tests, I am still not able to to reliably load additional
library items/collections so that they are globally available to all users.

I am probably missing something simle - and happy to do some additional
debugging in case anyone has suggestions?

R.

Karen Palen wrote:

> Then the .iar files are simply added to the /bin/Library folder, in my case:
>
> /home/howe/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library
>
> and it looks like this:
>
> howe@howe:~/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library$ ls -l
> total 61676
> -rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe 23640479 2010-01-17 16:37 Clothing Library (Karen).iar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe  1458140 2009-12-24 09:52 Clothing Library (small).iar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe 35795952 2009-12-23 21:55 Objects Library (large).iar
> -rw-r--r-- 1 howe howe  2178791 2009-12-24 09:52 Objects Library (small).iar
> howe@howe:~/opensim/diva-r11766/bin/Library$
>
> The (Karen) library is my creation, the other three are supplied by Diva.
>
> Karen

Yes it is true that few people read the directions :-)

I once published a paper manual with that on the cover:

"When all else fails read this!"

It didn't help get people to read it, but it generated some good laughs as users "fessed up" :-)

You are correct, this is ONLY in the Diva distro so far not the mainstream opensim Trunk or any of the regular releases.

I am sure it will be included once the bugs are thoroughly worked out though.

As I recall I saved the entire folder somehting like /Karens/Clothing rather than just the contents. Otherwise it did get inserted at the top level of the hierarchy.

The actual system file name of the .iar does not control where it fits in your inventory, it must be the folder name INSIDE the file!

Obviously the system file name of the .iar must be unique within the system folder, your OS should enforce that though!

I seem to recall editing the XML file of the .iar manually to add the folder name, but I don't remember just how I did it and can't easily reproduce that right now.

I have never had a name conflict within the viewer inventory though and have not observed different characteristics in different viewers.

I usually use Meerkat and Hippo for my opensim work, but I do have a version of OpenMetaverse viewer (the standard LL viewer packaged in a .deb repository) which I also use occasionally. None of them have exhibited that problem.

This sounds like it needs a JIRA bug report with all the information that you can give so Diva can dig into the causes.

I hope that has pointed you in the right direction at least!

Karen

> [...]
> are supplied by Diva.
> >
> > Karen
> > --- On Fri, 2/12/10, Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Roger BUCK <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Bulk Import Textures
> for Global Use
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Friday, February 12, 2010, 8:55 PM
> IAR file
> >> in the bin directory.
> >>  > It automatically loads every time the
> sim is booted.
> >>
> >> When creating additional .iar files copied
> to./bin/Library,
> >> then they only seem to appear when loaded manually
> from
> >> the region console using something like
> >>
> >> load iar <user name> <path>
> <password>
> >> <filename.iar>
> >>
> >> Any hints on how additional *.iar archives can be

Jeroen van Veen
To add a public library, you could also follow this tutorial:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Library_Preparation
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Library_Importing

Basically you first prepare the image files to be j2k with the jp2batch script,
and then use the asset generator to create a xml file of it.

jeroen