Bulk-loading animations?

Tony Hursh
I have some BVH files that I'd like to have globally available (i.e,
in the OpenSim Library folder) -- assuming that I can get them
converted to an SL-compatible frame rate and joint naming scheme
(that's a separate issue -- I'm making decent progress on that).

 From what I can glean from looking at the directory structure and the
database, the ones that come with OpenSim appear to be stored in a
binary format in two places:

1) (OpenSim root)/bin/assets/AnimationsAssetSet

2) The assets table in the database.

My question is threefold:

1) How can I convert a SL-compatible BVH file into the binary format?
Is it documented anywhere other than in the code?
2) It appears that the server scans the AnimationsAssetSet folder  on
startup. Can I just put new animations in there (in the binary format,
of course) and have them imported into the database automatically, or
would I need to do that by hand?
3) Would adding a large number of animations  to the global library be
likely to hammer performance?

I'd really rather not upload these one at a time through the viewer if
I can avoid it. :-)

Thanks for any advice!

--
Tony Hursh
Technology Coordinator and Research Programmer

Re: Bulk-loading animations?

Tristan-2
1) I'm not sure how exactly you could import them. The easiest way I see is (sorry) uploading them through the viewer, then copying the binary data from the assets table to the library. If there isn't already, I'm sure someone is working on an easier way to do this.
2) I doubt it, hopefully a dev can confirm that.
3) There is no reason for an impact on performance. The only slowdown adding a lot of animations would cause is a longer initial startup of the region.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Tony Hursh <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have some BVH files that I'd like to have globally available (i.e,
in the OpenSim Library folder) -- assuming that I can get them
converted to an SL-compatible frame rate and joint naming scheme
(that's a separate issue -- I'm making decent progress on that).

 From what I can glean from looking at the directory structure and the
[...]

Mike Mazur

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:01:28 -0600
Tony Hursh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2) It appears that the server scans the AnimationsAssetSet folder
> on startup. Can I just put new animations in there (in the binary
> format, of course) and have them imported into the database
> automatically, or would I need to do that by hand?

Have a look at the contents of bin/assets, there are a series of .xml
files and subfolders. OpenSim's asset server will process
bin/assets/AssetSets.xml and load all assets referenced therein.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Re: Bulk-loading animations?

Tony Hursh
On Mar 2, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Tristan wrote:

 > I'm not sure how exactly you could import them. The easiest way I
see is (sorry) uploading them through the viewer

There could potentially be hundreds of these things if I get them
working properly, so I' d really like to avoid that. :-)

> Also, you don't need to upload them one by one through the viewer,
> the viewer has the bulk upload feature.

Hmm... pops an "unsupported at this time" message here.

Thanks, Tristan.