Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?

Robert Klein
I just stumbled on this and was wondering if it can be integrated into OpenSim? Says it can render a web page to a 3D object and seems to support Flash too. Has a full SDK as well. Would this have to be integrated into the viewer?

http://princeofcode.com/awesomium.php

-Robert

Re: Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?

Ethan Gardener
On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just stumbled on this and was wondering if it can be integrated into
> OpenSim? Says it can render a web page to a 3D object and seems to support
> Flash too. Has a full SDK as well. Would this have to be integrated into the
> viewer?
>
> http://princeofcode.com/awesomium.php

If I read it right this would only make a difference to the viewer, where it would only replace existing code. The viewer already has html/js/css integrated using Gecko on Linux and native facilities (IE backend) on Windows. On OS X I'm not sure whether Gecko or native facilities are used; OS X native being webkit-based just like Google Chrome.

The problem is not the absence of clever code but rather that the protocol has never offered more than a bare minimum of interactivity; just toy interactivity really. As long as OpenSim tries to accomodate all viewers that will continue to be the case.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

extending / changing protocols (Re: Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?)

Toni Alatalo
On May 25, 2009, at 3:07 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> The problem is not the absence of clever code but rather that the
> protocol has never offered more than a bare minimum of interactivity;
> just toy interactivity really. As long as OpenSim tries to accomodate
> all viewers that will continue to be the case.

I don't think that is true: AFAIK OpenSim supports multiple kinds of
clients by enabling you to have different code to handle different kind
of connections. Isn't it so that for example the MXP client view works
so that that protocol is used for those clients, and SL for the
slviewer, and both kinds can be connected to the same sim at the same
time?

So you can add a new protocol to OpenSim and support any features
there, and others can still use other client apps to connect, just
won't have those features enabled. For example they could perhaps see a
web page that updates sometimes, and you would have some advanced means
to interact with it.

~Toni

Re: Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?

Stefan Andersson
Actually, what one _could_ do, is to create a module that serves up a texture on a prim rendered from a web page, then accept x/y grabs on the surface to re-render the texture.

html-on-a-prim, it's been done before, but not cross-platform, afaik?

So yeah, sure, go ahead. ;)

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson

> Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 01:07:44 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?
>
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
> Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I just stumbled on this and was wondering if it can be integrated into
> > OpenSim? Says it can render a web page to a 3D object and seems to support
> > Flash too. Has a full SDK as well. Would this have to be integrated into the
> > viewer?
> >
> > http://princeofcode.com/awesomium.php
>
> If I read it right this would only make a difference to the viewer, where it would only replace existing code. The viewer already has html/js/css integrated using Gecko on Linux and native facilities (IE backend) on Windows. On OS X I'm not sure whether Gecko or native facilities are used; OS X native being webkit-based just like Google Chrome.
>
> The problem is not the absence of clever code but rather that the protocol has never offered more than a bare minimum of interactivity; just toy interactivity really. As long as OpenSim tries to accomodate all viewers that will continue to be the case.
>
> --
> Ethan Grammatikidis
> The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

Re: extending / changing protocols (Re: Can Awesomium be used in OpenSim?)

Kyle Hamilton
This begins to sound a lot like 'verse'.

-Kyle H

Kyle Hamilton kirjoitti:
> This begins to sound a lot like 'verse'.

Yah adding Verse support might well be interesting, has been discussed
several times during the past year or two.

In last January / February when working on Cable Beach, J. Hurliman
implemented Verse in C# to add support for it to CB .. so that you could
connect to the asset server with Gimp to edit textures, or with Blender
to edit meshes (he was adding Ogre mesh support with Rex in mind, using
the Axiom Ogre C# port to read ogre data). I don't know if he has
published that work in any way yet, the status info of the partial
implementation is at
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/AssetServerProposal/Verse (iirc he called
the new Verse impl VerseSharp)

I actually would not think of Verse when thinking of UI like
interactions, like having some widgets or something to interact with a
website inworld, but more see it as means to sync data like changes to a
texture while painting it or a mesh while modelling, among a
collaborating group of people .. but it is also an extensible protocol
(for example Nathan Letwory implemented text chat as a test with it,
that test was an embedded Blender view/app).

> -Kyle H

~Toni