Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

Robert Klein
I need to  bring some swf files into opensim for display to users. Is this possible yet and how would it be accomplished? Quicktime supports a bunch of formats but not swf. Can a VNC session be displayed as a prim media texture?

Thanks,

-Robert

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

JaniP
Hi,

you can do that using realXtend enhancements: modrex to make the opensim support them, and realXtend viewer to view swf and vnc on a prim. You can use realxtend to render swf to hud in interactive mode, though...
If you don't get modrex to work (it is a bit alphaish atm), you can use realXtend standalone server: Download link: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?page_id=384

swf support on a prim is a bit limited, you can not interact with it, but still there are some good usecases, like:
show youtube videos: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=369
show powerpoints: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=599

VNC has been working, but I need to test it myself first to see if it works with the latest 0.4 release.

Best regards,
Jani

2009/2/27 Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

I need to  bring some swf files into opensim for display to users. Is this
possible yet and how would it be accomplished? Quicktime supports a bunch of
formats but not swf. Can a VNC session be displayed as a prim media texture?

Thanks,

-Robert

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

Robert Klein
Cool Jani, I could only find a pre-compiled binary for windows. Is there a version available for Ubuntu 8.10?

Thanks,

-Robert

JaniP wrote

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

JaniP
Robert,

The current viewer 0.4 is Windows only, but it is possible to use Wine to run it on linux: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=267

Ralf tried to run the server on linux, and although it should run on linux, there was something odd with it. The modrex version works on linux, but there is no binaries available yet.

Jani

Jani

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

JaniP
Are you using rexviewer? did you use testuser@yourip as a login and "test" as a password?
Use ip numbers in the configuration files, that helps sometimes.
Try to create an avatar account at realxtend.org and use that account to login your server.

I also posted your question to realxtend mailing list (groups.google.com/group/realxtend)

Jani

JaniP wrote:

> Robert,
>
> The current viewer 0.4 is Windows only, but it is possible to use Wine to
> run it on linux: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=267
>
> Ralf tried to run the server on linux, and although it should run on
> linux,
> there was something odd with it. The modrex version works on linux, but
> there is no binaries available yet.
>
> Jani

Jani

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

Paul Fishwick
I tried the rex server many moons ago, and had the same problem - my machine
was behind a nat/router. I was able to authenticate using an avatar
account at
realxtend.org, but could not authenticate on my own server.

you may wish to try modrex, where this problem of having an external ip has
been solved. It sounds like your port forwarding must already work if you
have a working opensim installation. See the instructions at:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ModRex

-p

--
Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

JaniP
I got one answer from realxtend mailing list:

> Hi guys and gals,
> "could not perceive credentials from login XML" sounds so familiar, any
> idea
> what is causing this?
>
> Jani

It happens when simulator is expecting reX style logins
(account@authenticationserver) but user tries to log in with Firstname
Lastname, or the other way around.

The simulation config (opensim.ini) parameter rex_authentication controls
this. When True, reX style logins are expected.

- Lasse / realXtend developer

--
Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Can a Flash (SWF) version 8 or higher file be displayed as a prim media texture?

Robert Klein
Okay that got me a bit further and the server shows "Authentication of user successful. Sending response to client." then the viewer throws "Login packet never received by login server." then brings me back to the login screen. I am running all of this from within my own network so there are no firewall or port issues. Like Paul mentioned, I last tried Realxtend about 9 months ago and had too many issues trying to get it running. This is a shame IHMO considering all the great work that has gone into it.

-Robert

JaniP wrote