Can't smooth some terrains near water

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
I'm having a problem getting the Smooth terrain tool to work properly in OpenSim 0.8.0 Dev.  The problem seems to happen only on parts of terrains that are adjacent to water.  It doesn't seem to be happening on all regions.

EDIT: Further testing indicates that the problem happens when there is a sharp difference in elevation, as  at a riverbank or shoreline.  When I've tested it at extremely high elevations and with a low water level, the problem still happens at the high elevations.

The problem is that when I try to smooth the terrain along water or sharp with elevation changes, the terrain often ends up with jagged peaks and valleys a meter or more deep.  I've included a snapshot illustrating it.   I've tried using all the other terrain tools, including Flatten, and I've shut down all the adjacent regions (this is a 32 region grid), but nothing allows me to smooth the terrain in places where I'm having the problem.

If you have any suggestions, please share them.  This problem is driving me nuts.  I'm usually reasonably good at terraforming - this 32 region grid is my second OS grid and I've been terraforming in SL since 2004 - but the problem is making parts of my terrains look like I've never terraformed before.

I created most of my original terrains in L3DT and subsequently modified them in OpenSim.  The servers are running Windows Web Server 2008 R2 and I've been using both the Firestorm and Singularity viewers.

Here's the picture illustrating the problem.   I've used shadows to make the effect more apparent.  For scale, the picture includes a default .5m cube prim.  The problem only happens near water, both along inland rivers and open sea, probably because of the elevation changes in those locations.
Smooth doesn't smooth this terrain

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002