Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I am sharing a clip here to take the pulse of how many of you can
understand (comfortably) my speech. I am in the process of making a series
of tutorial videos for the applications we are developing for opensim. Your
response will allow me to judge whether I am the right person to be doing
this sort of thing, or whether I need to hire a professional to do it. So
don't hold back .... all impressions welcome, or ideas for improvement...
(especially on the audio capture front). Thanks.
https://youtu.be/N796xlR3JzM

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Landisville, PA;
Affiliate *Research Associate Professor*, Idaho State University,
Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>

Re: Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Jeff Kelley
At 10:32 PM -0500 2/4/19, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

>I am sharing a clip here to take the pulse of how many of you can
>understand (comfortably) my speech. I am in the process of making a series
>of tutorial videos for the applications we are developing for opensim. Your
>response will allow me to judge whether I am the right person to be doing
>this sort of thing, or whether I need to hire a professional to do it. So
>don't hold back .... all impressions welcome, or ideas for improvement...
>(especially on the audio capture front). Thanks.

Lots of sibilants in your mike.

Except this, fine.

-- Jeff

Re: Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Asaff Belfer
May I ask who is the planned audience for these videos?

Asaff

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 5:32 AM Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I am sharing a clip here to take the pulse of how many of you can
> understand (comfortably) my speech. I am in the process of making a series
> of tutorial videos for the applications we are developing for opensim. Your
> response will allow me to judge whether I am the right person to be doing
> this sort of thing, or whether I need to hire a professional to do it. So
> don't hold back .... all impressions welcome, or ideas for improvement...
> (especially on the audio capture front). Thanks.
> https://youtu.be/N796xlR3JzM
>
> --
> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Landisville, PA;
> Affiliate *Research Associate Professor*, Idaho State University,
> Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>

Re: Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Ethan Gardener
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, at 3:32 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> Hello,
> I am sharing a clip here to take the pulse of how many of you can
> understand (comfortably) my speech. I am in the process of making a series
> of tutorial videos for the applications we are developing for opensim. Your
> response will allow me to judge whether I am the right person to be doing
> this sort of thing, or whether I need to hire a professional to do it. So
> don't hold back .... all impressions welcome, or ideas for improvement...
> (especially on the audio capture front). Thanks.
> https://youtu.be/N796xlR3JzM

You have a clear voice, I can understand you.  I'm British though, you should probably get opinions from Americans too.  When it comes to understanding accents, Americans and British seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Your pronunciation of "economy" isn't right for English; emphasis should be on the 'con'.  I got used to your pronunciation quite quickly, but it distracted me from your introduction.

> --
> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'

Sound advice which would have made my virtual life better if I'd remembered it. ;)

Re: Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
@Asaff users who can understand English and who have an interest in virtual
worlds.
@Ethan thanks, my main insecurity was about clarity, and your comment is
encouraging and useful. I am not a native American speaker actually... born
in Mauritius but living in the US... I speak creole at home, English and
French.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:45 AM Ethan Gardener <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, at 3:32 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am sharing a clip here to take the pulse of how many of you can
> > understand (comfortably) my speech. I am in the process of making a
> series
> > of tutorial videos for the applications we are developing for opensim.
> Your
> > response will allow me to judge whether I am the right person to be doing
> > this sort of thing, or whether I need to hire a professional to do it. So
> > don't hold back .... all impressions welcome, or ideas for improvement...
> > (especially on the audio capture front). Thanks.
> > https://youtu.be/N796xlR3JzM
>
> You have a clear voice, I can understand you.  I'm British though, you
> should probably get opinions from Americans too.  When it comes to
> understanding accents, Americans and British seem to be at opposite ends of
> the spectrum.
>
> Your pronunciation of "economy" isn't right for English; emphasis should
> be on the 'con'.  I got used to your pronunciation quite quickly, but it
> distracted me from your introduction.
>

> > --
> > 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>
> Sound advice which would have made my virtual life better if I'd
> remembered it. ;)

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Landisville, PA;
Affiliate *Research Associate Professor*, Idaho State University,
Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>

Re: Can you help me evaluate this audio recording?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
@Jeff super thanks Jeff, I learned a new word today -sibilant- ... yes the
ssss sound is a bit annoying even to me ... now I have so much respect for
all these young youtuber people. I am hoping this is an issue with my mike
(that can be change)... but if it's with my mouth (then am stuck) ...  I ve
got a receded lower jaw like a baby jaw... that might explain the ' a
fricative consonant sound, in which the tip, or blade, of the tongue is
brought near the roof of the mouth and air is pushed past the tongue to
make a hissing sound. ' from wikipedia.