Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

Ai Austin
The folks at Clever Zebra (http://cleverzebra.com) made available a
lot of freely distributable (GPL licence) and full perm buildings
like offices, Galleria etc in Second Life.  I have used some in our
Open sim regions. I recent spoke to them to check they knew what I
was doing, as I plan to make the items available to anyone at our
welcome area when we open up to the Hypergrid.  They are positively
encouraging that, and asking if other assets can be converted and
made available to the Opensim community.

If we can work out a proper way to package up items like buildings to
make available (possibly through the selective OAR mechanism
discussed with Justin) I would be happy to try to package up the
assets and make them available on some Opensim asset sharing web area.

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

justincc
Ai Austin wrote:

> The folks at Clever Zebra (http://cleverzebra.com) made available a
> lot of freely distributable (GPL licence) and full perm buildings
> like offices, Galleria etc in Second Life.  I have used some in our
> Open sim regions. I recent spoke to them to check they knew what I
> was doing, as I plan to make the items available to anyone at our
> welcome area when we open up to the Hypergrid.  They are positively
> encouraging that, and asking if other assets can be converted and
> made available to the Opensim community.
>
> If we can work out a proper way to package up items like buildings to
> make available (possibly through the selective OAR mechanism
> discussed with Justin) I would be happy to try to package up the
> assets and make them available on some Opensim asset sharing web area.

Selective oar is still in my mind - I just got the unit test bug and decided I had to start writing tests for the
existing code first before introducing new options.  Might still be a while though (other things on my plate atm).

Of course, this kind of thing may be better done in an inventory format.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

Mo Hax
This has been an ongoing thread on several fronts for some time. It seems everyone wants a consistent standard for serializing and package content for storage out of world and transfer/import.

As best I can tell OAR is still the preferred format.

Please keep us all informed of whatever packaging conventions emerge. I too have content I would like to make available and would simply rather wait for such a standard rather than reconverting/flattening the content several times as the standard emerges.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ai Austin wrote:
> The folks at Clever Zebra (http://cleverzebra.com) made available a
> lot of freely distributable (GPL licence) and full perm buildings
> like offices, Galleria etc in Second Life.  I have used some in our
> Open sim regions. I recent spoke to them to check they knew what I
> was doing, as I plan to make the items available to anyone at our
> welcome area when we open up to the Hypergrid.  They are positively
> encouraging that, and asking if other assets can be converted and
> made available to the Opensim community.
>
> If we can work out a proper way to package up items like buildings to
> make available (possibly through the selective OAR mechanism
> discussed with Justin) I would be happy to try to package up the
> assets and make them available on some Opensim asset sharing web area.

Selective oar is still in my mind - I just got the unit test bug and decided I had to start writing tests for the
existing code first before introducing new options.  Might still be a while though (other things on my plate atm).

Of course, this kind of thing may be better done in an inventory format.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

Dirk Krause
That's very good news. I think the Clever Zebra content is of high quality. Do you think you could (until there is some kind of inventory export) export some of their stuff to OAR and put it up, maybe here?
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

Btw, there was another page with some nice content, namely a farmhouse and an old store in oar format on the OpenSim wiki, which for some reason I cant find anymore.

And while I am at it, both farm and store had doors that you cant cross since it were hollow prims. I really should look if there is a mantis for this.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

At 06:01 28/01/2009, "Dirk Krause" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>That's very good news. I think the Clever Zebra content is of high
>quality. Do you think you could (until there is some kind of
>inventory export) export some of their stuff to OAR and put it up,
>maybe here?   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

Will do Dirk... I will make just a Clever Zebra assets OAR separatel
to others I am wokign on to share.  If someone has an idea on how
best to set up a resource sharing area for Opensim content that would
be good to get in place about now.  Ai

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets for landscaping, building etc

Frank W Sweet
Ai Austin wrote: "If someone has an idea on how best to set up a
resource sharing area for Opensim content that would be good to get in
place about now."

What's wrong with http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets?

FrankWSweet

At 06:01 28/01/2009, "Dirk Krause" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>That's very good news. I think the Clever Zebra content is of high
>quality. Do you think you could (until there is some kind of
>inventory export) export some of their stuff to OAR and put it up,
>maybe here?   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

Will do Dirk... I will make just a Clever Zebra assets OAR separatel
to others I am wokign on to share.  If someone has an idea on how
best to set up a resource sharing area for Opensim content that would
be good to get in place about now.  Ai

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets forlandscaping, building etc

Dirk Krause
yes - that's the page I was looking for.
Thanks, Frank.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets forlandscaping, building etc

Mo Hax
What about putting this in SVN somehow so we can revision the content as well. I am not suggesting the main SVN OpenSim core tree but perhaps another. I know the project has its own SVN tree but if that were not an option we could consider googlecode.com.

--
Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets forlandscaping, building etc

Mo Hax
It just occurred to me that the wiki does have revision history, so that might cover it. The question would then be shear volume because I can see this thing hosting a lot of OAR content eventually.
--
Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets forlandscaping, building etc

Frisby, Adam

Set it up on forge, there’s a lot of spare disk on that machine.

Google code has a 100mb limit.

Adam

Re: Clever Zebra Buildings and Assets forlandscaping, building etc

Robert Klein
Wikis were not really designed to be file storage systems for anything other than maybe pictures that go with pages. Wikis are usually rolled out in four types of categories; content focused, process focused, community focused, and ease of use focused. This all deals with sharing of knowledge rather than files. It is easy to see we are fast approaching the growing pains of where to put all these files and yes they will begin to grow exponentially. Here are my thoughts/questions:
What does it take to set up file storage mirrors and where do we begin? Do we start this as a grass roots effort of whoever wants to offer some space on a server and we just come up with a standard set of categories that will be mirrored across many servers? What about using bit torrent type sharing? Lots to think about...

-Robert

Mo Hax wrote