Collada importing snags

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I have noticed a particular that I come across fairly regularly when
importing say something fairly but not overly complicated like a house
with textures. Firstly, it will often be the case that the orientation
of the whole object is different from that my 3D editor (but that's
ok, no biggie). However, there is always one 'prim'/part mesh object
that will be rotated 90 deg out from all the rest (again no biggie, I
can correct that fairly simply). Now I find that on some imports, the
house object is cannot be unlinked (broken into subparts) .... and the
very same collada file produces an object that can on a different
occasion. Let me know what could be going on here. My work flow is
this: I try to make things look perfect on sim_on_a_stick before
uploading to Second Life other grids.

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: Collada importing snags

Robert L martin
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Firstly, it will often be the case that the orientation
> of the whole object is different from that my 3D editor (but that's
> ok, no biggie). However, there is always one 'prim'/part mesh object
> that will be rotated 90 deg out from all the rest (again no biggie, I
> can correct that fairly simply).

the issue of which way is UP (and Right and Forward) is one that had
to be solved with the MakeHuman SL export (in the DAE export you have
to check both Rotates). Are you sure that your viewer is not applying
a rotate to the mesh when it rezzes it?? (i find that a semi random
rotation of 90 on the Y axis crops ups)

btw if you want to try out MakeHuman DOWNLOAD THE NIGHTLY

--
Robert L Martin

Re: Collada importing snags

Nicky Perian
Hi, I read a few days ago and was somewhat surprised to learn that secondlife has an 8 object (including textures) limit for collada uploads.   I don't know what the limit value is in opensim but, It would be possible to be on the edge of the eight items and get different results maybe from object combining. I haven't confirmed this, it was just a note in a jira and could be dated by now or not accurate.

Re: Collada importing snags

Trinity
Collada supports multiple objects and these objects are imported as separate linked mesh prims. I have imported many multi object meshes that were in far excess of 8 prims on Secondlife. These are not prim equivalence numbers or land impact numbers. The 8 number you saw is probably regarding textured surfaces and to my knowledge was actually intended to be 9 to match up with standard prim surface limits but for some reason the published number was 8 im not sure wether this is an error or my info on surface limits is wrong.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Nicky Perian <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: Collada importing snags

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Just reporting latest experience, importing in Second Life was
flawless, who building rezzed fine, with textures in place. Tried
uploading collada building in the latest version of opensim, same
issues cropped up (one random 'prim' rotated 90 deg) ... and sometimes
missing pieces ... however with the latest version, experienced a new
behavior, when pieces were missed I did not get the yellow exclamation
marks that would pop up to indicate a problem at relevant location.
Anyway will try again tomorrow to check. Sometimes I find that after
shutting down and importing, things have a better chance of working.

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Trinity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Collada supports multiple objects and these objects are imported as separate
> linked mesh prims. I have imported many multi object meshes that were in far
> excess of 8 prims on Secondlife. These are not prim equivalence numbers or
> land impact numbers. The 8 number you saw is probably regarding textured
> surfaces and to my knowledge was actually intended to be 9 to match up with
> standard prim surface limits but for some reason the published number was 8
> im not sure wether this is an error or my info on surface limits is wrong.
>

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Nicky Perian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I read a few days ago and was somewhat surprised to learn that
>> secondlife has an 8 object (including textures) limit for collada uploads.
>> I don't know what the limit value is in opensim but, It would be possible to
>> be on the edge of the eight items and get different results maybe from
>> object combining. I haven't confirmed this, it was just a note in a jira and
>> could be dated by now or not accurate.
>>
>> ________________________________

R.Gunther
the rotating prim i saw to in sl, i fixt that by joining all parts in
blender before save it as dae file.
About the 8 texture count, just some idea maby the count from 0-8 = 9
prett common in programming,
Maby someone can confirm that ?! If you have missing pieces your source
object is not draw good.
Also that same problem i saw yesterday. remade that part and the problem
where gone.

On 2012-03-08 07:58, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Just reporting latest experience, importing in Second Life was
> flawless, who building rezzed fine, with textures in place. Tried
> uploading collada building in the latest version of opensim, same
> issues cropped up (one random 'prim' rotated 90 deg) ... and sometimes
> missing pieces ... however with the latest version, experienced a new
> behavior, when pieces were missed I did not get the yellow exclamation
> marks that would pop up to indicate a problem at relevant location.
> Anyway will try again tomorrow to check. Sometimes I find that after
> shutting down and importing, things have a better chance of working.
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Trinity<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Collada supports multiple objects and these objects are imported as separate
>> linked mesh prims. I have imported many multi object meshes that were in far
>> excess of 8 prims on Secondlife. These are not prim equivalence numbers or
>> land impact numbers. The 8 number you saw is probably regarding textured
>> surfaces and to my knowledge was actually intended to be 9 to match up with
>> standard prim surface limits but for some reason the published number was 8
>> im not sure wether this is an error or my info on surface limits is wrong.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Nicky Perian<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi, I read a few days ago and was somewhat surprised to learn that
>>> secondlife has an 8 object (including textures) limit for collada uploads.
>>> I don't know what the limit value is in opensim but, It would be possible to
>>> be on the edge of the eight items and get different results maybe from
>>> object combining. I haven't confirmed this, it was just a note in a jira and
>>> could be dated by now or not accurate.
>>>
>>> ________________________________

Wade Schuette
I have the vague impression from my own experience importing buildings
into OpenSim 7.2 that it can make a difference in results whether the
cache is clear or not.   I seem to get correct results more often when I
start with a clear cache.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with the latest Mac operating system and
using both Firestorm and Second Life clients,  which  works better if
the cache is cleared between different clients, so maybe that's all I'm
seeing.

In either case, it sounds like multiple simultaneous processes are
collaborating on doing the analysis and import, and something that is
supposed to be atomic, and is atomic on an unhindered workstation,
turns out to miss-connections on some portion of the work,  perhaps more
often when it runs into constraints which, in a perfectly programmed
world, would be invisible.

It suggests doing imports would work better with a recently-rebooted
computer,  a clear cache,  and as few as possible other programs and
processes competing for cpu-cycles and disk-writes and memory.

Wade