Configuration pages in the wiki

DZ-2
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Correct the wiki configuration instructions......

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration

Having down-loadable builds to get around the fact that the configuration files have become "slightly convoluted" is not sustainable for any length of time.

Instructions like these, which leave me searching for references to BUST....are certainly  NOT helpful to anyone  who might be unaware of the fate of that acronym.

  • Configure B.U.S.T.
Copy OpenSim.Server.ini.example to OpenSim.Server.ini
(on version 0.6.6 copy OpenSim.Services.ini.example to OpenSim.Services.ini - then use OpenSim.Services instead OpenSim.Server)
Don't forget change ConnectionString accordingly your database settings.

Re: Configuration pages in the wiki

Diva Canto
Please please please do it yourself.
No one here is working for you. This is a community project. If you and
others like you don't help keep the documentation up to date, then
there's nothing "we" (whatever that means) can do. Unless, of course,
you are willing to pay somebody to do that job for you, then you can
complain that they're not doing their job properly.

dz wrote:

> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
>
> Correct the wiki configuration instructions......
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
>
> Having down-loadable builds to get around the fact that the
> configuration files have become "slightly convoluted" is not sustainable
> for any length of time.
>
> Instructions like these, which leave me searching for references to
> BUST....are certainly  NOT helpful to anyone  who might be unaware of
> the fate of that acronym.
>
>     * Configure B.U.S.T.
>
>         Copy OpenSim.Server.ini.example to OpenSim.Server.ini
>         (on version 0.6.6 copy OpenSim.Services.ini.example to
>         OpenSim.Services.ini - then use OpenSim.Services instead
>         OpenSim.Server)
>         Don't forget change ConnectionString accordingly your database
>         settings.

Re: Configuration pages in the wiki

Dave Coyle-2
On Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:33pm, "dz" <[hidden email]> said:
> Correct the wiki configuration instructions......

The primary reason for having a wiki (vs. a more traditional CMS) is the intrinsic communal ownership of all the content.  Everyone owns documentation, not just a select few.  Which means anyone can fix it.

For those who discover that a page may be out-of-date, but aren't exactly sure how it should be updated, please at least edit the page and add the following text at the top:

  {{obsolete}}

This will add that page to the "Todo" category [ http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Category:Todo ].  Bonus points if you also add a note in the "Discussion" tab mentioning what specifically is out-of-date or needs to be fleshed out.  It'll still take a volunteer to do the actual work, but it makes it much easier to know where attention is needed.

-coyled

Re: Configuration pages in the wiki

Ale Fernandez
I guess it may need it's own list, but I tried the Diva distro and it complained it didn't have access to my server's home directory, so I'm going to try installing it on a separate path it can see all the way through... no idea why or even where it's asking for that in the code.

Ale

2009/9/23 <[hidden email]>
On Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:33pm, "dz" <[hidden email]> said:
> Correct the wiki configuration instructions......

The primary reason for having a wiki (vs. a more traditional CMS) is the intrinsic communal ownership of all the content.  Everyone owns documentation, not just a select few.  Which means anyone can fix it.

For those who discover that a page may be out-of-date, but aren't exactly sure how it should be updated, please at least edit the page and add the following text at the top:

 {{obsolete}}

This will add that page to the "Todo" category [ http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Category:Todo ].  Bonus points if you also add a note in the "Discussion" tab mentioning what specifically is out-of-date or needs to be fleshed out.  It'll still take a volunteer to do the actual work, but it makes it much easier to know where attention is needed.

-coyled

~The Cycle of the formation and disintegration http://alefernandez.org.uk/
  of the universe influences the formation and disintegration
of nature, which in turn is closely related with human life" - Yasuji Kimikura

Re: Configuration pages in the wiki

Ale Fernandez
Oh sorry, wrong thread!

Ale

--
~The Cycle of the formation and disintegration http://alefernandez.org.uk/
  of the universe influences the formation and disintegration
of nature, which in turn is closely related with human life" - Yasuji Kimikura

Re: Configuration pages in the wiki

Diva Canto
Sometimes it is really hard to figure out if an issue is of a particular
distribution or of opensim in general.
In case of doubt, and for the diva distro, you can start by reporting it
here:
http://github.com/diva/diva-distribution/issues

In this particular case, you are not giving enough information to guess.
Was this during Configure or while running OpenSim? If it's during
Configure, then it's definitely a distro issue; if it's during OpenSim,
then it's an opensim issue.