Configuration problem

Don McGregor
New to OpenSim.

I'm trying to set up a simple ungridded system on a single box, on Windows 7.
Installed the binaries, started OpenSim, and accepted all the defaults
for configuration.

I can connect to the server using the latest Second Life viewer when it
runs on the same machine. I cannot connect when I run the viewer on
another host in the same LAN.

The firewalls on both hosts are turned off. The local IP of the server
host is specified in the startup string, and I can see the client connect
to TCP port 9000 on the server in netstat.

I suspect that something is being specified as 127.0.0.1 in the
config files, and is causing the client to point at itself rather than
the server. Is there something obvious in the server config setup that
I'm missing?

Re: Configuration problem

Master_Mirage
Don McGregor wrote
New to OpenSim.

I'm trying to set up a simple ungridded system on a single box, on Windows 7.
Installed the binaries, started OpenSim, and accepted all the defaults
for configuration.

I can connect to the server using the latest Second Life viewer when it
runs on the same machine. I cannot connect when I run the viewer on
another host in the same LAN.

The firewalls on both hosts are turned off. The local IP of the server
host is specified in the startup string, and I can see the client connect
to TCP port 9000 on the server in netstat.

I suspect that something is being specified as 127.0.0.1 in the
config files, and is causing the client to point at itself rather than
the server. Is there something obvious in the server config setup that
I'm missing?
You would be correct, 127.0.0.1 should be changed to your lan IP usualy. Other things may be that its not looping back. but i would change the local loop back of 127.0.0.1 to your actual LAN ip. Also you should make your lan IP fixed rather than one it gets from DHPC.
In your region ini you may also want it to be 0.0.0.0 (so it will listen on all address). looks like InternalAddress = "0.0.0.0"
Theres many situations that depends on your set up but off hand that might get you going.
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Configuration problem

Don McGregor wrote:

> New to OpenSim.
>
> I'm trying to set up a simple ungridded system on a single box, on Windows 7.
> Installed the binaries, started OpenSim, and accepted all the defaults
> for configuration.
>
> I can connect to the server using the latest Second Life viewer when it
> runs on the same machine. I cannot connect when I run the viewer on
> another host in the same LAN.
>
> The firewalls on both hosts are turned off. The local IP of the server
> host is specified in the startup string, and I can see the client connect
> to TCP port 9000 on the server in netstat.
>
> I suspect that something is being specified as 127.0.0.1 in the
> config files, and is causing the client to point at itself rather than
> the server. Is there something obvious in the server config setup that
> I'm missing?

Hi Don.  The client is doing its initial login connection correctly to port 9000.  On successful authentication, OpenSim passes back login hostname and port for a particular region back to the client, which then establishes a separate connection.

The regions details are kept in the .ini files in bin/Regions.  The ExternalHostName value is the host address passed back to the client so this is the one to check.

Best,