Connections out of control

cliveg
Hi

We're still having problems with the number of tcp client connections
to our OpenSim 0.6.8 simulator from one particular remote client IP
address spiralling out of control. The student using the client tells
me that in-world access and functionality appears to be normal,
despite the spiralling connection count.

When this particular client logs in the connection count starts to
rise and the longer they are logged in the higher the count. The limit
appears to be around 984 connections at which point OpenSim runs out
of http sockets and crashes. If the client disconnects before the
simulator crashes the connections are not automatically closed and
remain in ESTABLISHED state seemingly indefinitely.

The simulator is running under CentOS 5 in standalone mode with 4
regions forming a megaregion.

I have asked the student concerned to try both Imprudence and Meerkat
clients from home and the problem is exactly the same. When the same
student logs in from a client in college the problem does not occur
and all is well. I have looked at the database and cannot see anything
unusual about the students account.

All other users have no problems accessing the simulator and client
connections (4 per IP = one for each of our 4 regions in the
megaregion) from these open and close normally as expected.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Clive

Re: Connections out of control

LaeMing
That's a weird one.

First thing I'd be looking at is if your user can try a different modem at
home in case they are using a dodgy NAT. Or at least check if a firmware
upgrade is available for their present device.

Lae.