Quantcast

Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

12

Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Robert Klein
Was anybody successful at converting these animations so we can use them in OpenSim? Seems like over 2500 animations would be worth the effort.

http://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/3dsmax-friendly-release-of-cmu-motion-database

-Robert

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Fish_Kungfu
Robert...

That's a great find!  since they are already .bvh files they don't need converting.  They just need to be uploaded as an Animation.  **BUT**, I just tried to upload one to Second Life and got the error message that animation files must not be larger than 60K.  A quick scan of the first set of .bvh files from the link you provided shows most of these files are at least hundreds of kilobytes large.  Maybe they can be opened with something like Avimator and edited down.  Or, as far as OpenSim goes, maybe there is a config setting to allow larger Animation uploads.  Again, I haven't tried uploading to my OpenSim yet.  Mine's down this morning.  Hopefully someone else can try.

Cheers!
~~Fish~~

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Was anybody successful at converting these animations so we can use them in
OpenSim? Seems like over 2500 animations would be worth the effort.

http://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/3dsmax-friendly-release-of-cmu-motion-database

-Robert

... . - . -.-. / .- ... - .-. --- -. --- -- -.--

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Chris Hart

I think I tried these before – it’s important to note that to successfully import to SL or OpenSim you only have certain joints to animate, so fingers and toes, for example, won’t animate. I think the presence of animation information for extra joints may cause an import to fail, so I would try importing to a tool like QAvimator or Animeeple if a plain import to the grid doesn’t work.

If these are the same ones that were posted around this list a couple of months ago I did manage to get them into Daz studio and export with just the SL-compatible joint set, BUT even though I managed to import some to OpenSim, all the animations seemed to be a variation on a zombie dance – not sure the conversion worked as planned! Fingers crossed someone else has better luck J

Chris

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Karen Palen
There is a Poser compatible conversion which seems to work better:

http://www.cgspeed.com/2008/09/poser-friendly-conversion-of-cmu-bvh.html

"Mike Sutton of mojodallas.com has taken the BVH conversion release of the Carnegie-Mellon motion capture dataset and run it through his own set of scripts to make it more feasible to use the motions in Poser. You can find the main page that describes his conversion work and the download links at mojodallas.blogspot.com. The files are presently posted at sharecg.com. "

OpenSim avatars are based on the Poser human models.

I have to agree that they all seem to be a variation on a simple mided theme though and will need more work to actually use in a sim.

Karen

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Chris Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think I tried these before – it’s important to note that to successfully import to SL or OpenSim you only have certain joints to animate, so fingers and toes, for example, won’t animate. I think the presence of animation information for extra joints may cause an import to fail, so I would try importing to a tool like QAvimator or Animeeple if a plain import to the grid doesn’t work.

If these are the same ones that were posted around this list a couple of months ago I did manage to get them into Daz studio and export with just the SL-compatible joint set, BUT even though I managed to import some to OpenSim, all the animations seemed to be a variation on a zombie dance – not sure the conversion worked as planned! Fingers crossed someone else has better luck J

Chris

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
I have checked some of them .. The maximum lenght of a Animation Uploaded with Hippo
is 30 Seconds. Most of the are longer. Most of the smaller one do not play correct in OSGRID ..
i keep on downloading and testing ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Karen Palen
I think you are correct, but this is derived from the Poser skeletons which also use the hip as the anchor point. Just from memory there are some other differences in the "standard" skeletons in the way certain "bones" are handled.

THe DAZ Millenium figures use a more complex skeleton which includes "buttocks". This makes for more realistic walks, but this skeleton also is not carried over into SL/OS. In this case the "buttocks" can usually be dropped with minimal effect.

This is why Poser BVH files work well with SL and OS!

Karen

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes these are the same ones we started looking at on this list a few months back. The effort died fairly quickly without any tangible resolution as to whether they could be converted. I reviewed some of the animations created with them and they seem like solid mocaps. Again, not being a programmer I was not able to progress them to a usable state for OpenSim. Just seems like a gold mine for us if something can be done with them.

-Robert

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

TaraDesoto
 I have worked with these animations , they seem good on the surface , but once you get into them , you will find that many don't have a use in the opensim context .   There are much better sources of animations for this environment than the carnegie mellon ones .. We tried to edit them and make them work better but that can be hectic and many times , dont look just right when you do it .   Animations are one of the hardest things to get your hands on in this environment and animators are like gold here but I have found that this source is limited in its usefulness since there are easier ways to get better animations that fit this enviroment .

I dont want to dissuade anyone from what appears to be a great source for a massive amount of animations ,  I am only saying that I have personally found that there are better ways to obtain Opensim animations for your grid .  They look good at first , but you will soon see once you get into them that they are not a perfect fit for our use

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Karen Palen
Can you suggest a few?

I have several of the commercial  MoCap collections for Poser which do well as far as they go, but are not shareable.

http://www.sharecg.com has  a lot of free (and often unrestricted) animations, but otherwise most of the Poser websites concentrate on props of one sort or another.

Karen

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM, TaraDesoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I have worked with these animations , they seem good on the surface , but
once you get into them , you will find that many don't have a use in the
opensim context .   There are much better sources of animations for this
environment than the carnegie mellon ones .. You have to actually edit them
down to size a lot of times too and that can be hectic and many times , dont
look just right when you do it .   Animations are one of the hardest things
to get your hands on in this environment and animators are like gold here
but I have found that this source is limited in its usefulness since there
are easier ways to get better animations that fit this enviroment .

I dont want to dissuade anyone from what appears to be a great source for a
massive amount of animations ,  I am only saying that I have personally
found that there are better ways to obtain Opensim animations for your grid
.  They look good at first , but you will soon see once you get into them
that they are not a perfect fit for our use

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

James Stallings II
Tara,

These 'better sources' you mention - mind pointing some of those up for the list?

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, TaraDesoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Master_Mirage
Karen Palen wrote
I think you are correct, but this is derived from the Poser skeletons which
also use the hip as the anchor point. Just from memory there are some other
differences in the "standard" skeletons in the way certain "bones" are
handled.

THe DAZ Millenium figures use a more complex skeleton which includes
"buttocks". This makes for more realistic walks, but this skeleton also is
not carried over into SL/OS. In this case the "buttocks" can usually be
dropped with minimal effect.

This is why Poser BVH files work well with SL and OS!

Karen
I allways woundered why the skeleton dosent have more of the bones in the 1st place. Is there some big problem or reasion why sl/opensim is?

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Karen Palen
Well that is really a question for the Second Life developers at Linden Labs!

The short answer is that the Sl/OS avatars are derived from the Poser models and the earliest trials (2003) was almost exactly Poser stuff.

The Poser skeletons are about the simplest that look anything like realistic!

As i recall the main differences (in 2003 at least) was to replace the hand structure (approx 15 bones) and the head model (about 4 bones and 2 dozen morphs) with something much simpler.

This seems to have been carried over to the present models.

These bones are rarely used in an actual animation and are simulated by having pre-build "hand" and "emote" structures.

Karen

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Master_Mirage <[hidden email]> wrote:

Karen Palen wrote:

> I think you are correct, but this is derived from the Poser skeletons
> which
> also use the hip as the anchor point. Just from memory there are some
> other
> differences in the "standard" skeletons in the way certain "bones" are
> handled.
>
> THe DAZ Millenium figures use a more complex skeleton which includes
> "buttocks". This makes for more realistic walks, but this skeleton also is
> not carried over into SL/OS. In this case the "buttocks" can usually be
> dropped with minimal effect.
>
> This is why Poser BVH files work well with SL and OS!
>
> Karen

I allways woundered why the skeleton dosent have more of the bones in the
1st place. Is there some big problem or reasion why sl/opensim is?

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

TaraDesoto
   My sources , we're  not a discrete package that is distributed .  My sources are my collaborative contacts that I have assembled after many years in   virtual reality .   I cant actually list the names of people that do work for me since that would be unethical and thus not part of the corporate culture that we keep .    Another part of the source is my own work .   Animations are time consuming and I am tied up with some  tasks with my grid right now ...

    I am sorry if I confused some of you into thinking there was a package out there that you could get .  The sources I mentioned we're my compatriots and myself...  I simply found collaboration with others in the wider community to be a better source than a package of some sort .

  IF you guys need animations ,  I can get them to you in bvh file format  but I would need to know what I am getting myself into , before I can commit to a task .    Please understand that it is going to take time to do some of this task ,  depending on what you want .    Motion capture animations are probably not going to be part of a package so if you are looking for those specifically , then im probably not going to be able to assist in that task .

  Since there is a great deal  in this for us   ( time , money) ...  There would have to be a barter made in order  to secure the animations for your grid(s)  .   If somebody out there reading this is  willing to assist us with information technology  tasks  and needs that we may have ,   we will be more than willing to assist in any way that we can in return .    But we have too much work to do on our grid  at this point in time , for us to give freely of our time and talents .

  I am sorry for those that may have thought that there was something available to them free .

  If some one out there is interested in seeing what kind of solution we can be for your animations needs and  If you are willing to  donate some of your time and talents  to us  in return for us donating some of our time and talents to you ,  then please  contact me via  private  email , since its beyond the scope of this topic at that point .

  For those that are still interested ,  we will have to discuss what your needs are before  we can commit...  I am probably only going to compile  Opensim human like animations at this time , so if you have a need for a moving dragon you are probably out of luck ...   You more than likely won't  be getting motion capture animations  ....  These are going to be hand made creations  that convey emotion in an SL context .

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Impalah Shenzhou
If I'm not wrong, 2 years ago or so, someone did a script for DAZ for
exporting to BVH-SL format. I tested it and worked quite well.
Unfortunately I didn't save the script on a safe place :-(

It was a message in the SL forums.

Does anyone remember where to get that script?

2010/3/11, TaraDesoto <[hidden email]>:

>    My sources , we're  not a discrete package that is distributed .  My
> sources are my collaborative contacts that I have assembled after many years
> in   virtual reality .   I cant actually list the names of people that do
> work for me since that would be unethical and thus not part of the corporate
> culture that we keep .    Another part of the source is my own work .
> Animations are time consuming and I am tied up with some  tasks with my grid
> right now ...
>
>     I am sorry if I confused some of you into thinking there was a package
> out there that you could get .  The sources I mentioned we're my compatriots
> and myself...  I simply found collaboration with others in the wider
> community to be a better source than a package of some sort .
>
>   IF you guys need animations ,  I can get them to you in bvh file format
> but I would need to know what I am getting myself into , before I can commit
> to a task .    Please understand that it is going to take time to do some of
> this task ,  depending on what you want .    Motion capture animations are
> probably not going to be part of a package so if you are looking for those
> specifically , then im probably not going to be able to assist in that task
> .
>

>   Since there is a great deal  in this for us   ( time , money) ...  There
> would have to be a barter made in order  to secure the animations for your
> grid(s)  .   If somebody out there reading this is  willing to assist us
> with information technology  tasks  and needs that we may have ,   we will
> be more than willing to assist in any way that we can in return .    But we
> have too much work to do on our grid  at this point in time , for us to give
> freely of our time and talents .
>
>   I am sorry for those that may have thought that there was something
> available to them free .
>
>   If some one out there is interested in seeing what kind of solution we can
> be for your animations needs and  If you are willing to  donate some of your
> time and talents  to us  in return for us donating some of our time and
> talents to you ,  then please  contact me via  private  email , since its
> beyond the scope of this topic at that point .
>
>   For those that are still interested ,  we will have to discuss what your
> needs are before  we can commit...  I am probably only going to compile
> Opensim human like animations at this time , so if you have a need for a
> moving dragon you are probably out of luck ...   You more than likely won't
> be getting motion capture animations  ....  These are going to be hand made
> creations  that convey emotion in an SL context .

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Karen Palen
Yes I agree.

It would also be nice to decode the binary form of the BVH file into the textual XML form when doing an IAR dump! Something I plan to look into, but my preliminary research (Hippo load animation command) seems to indicate that it would not be hard. We will see :-)

I haven't tried animeple, but I wonder if it is outputting a valid XML/text form of the BVH file or some binary form?

Here is a binary dump of a sample from my IAR file:

http://pastebin.com/PZfNpcdR

Here is a sample of a valid Qavimator file I generated a while back which poses the avatar with hands behind the back:

http://pastebin.com/MEFx9U5W

Quavimator and Poser will only load the XML/text form.

Fortunately XML is easy to parse if you can get the file into that form.

You might get lucky and find the problem by comparison with other BVH files, but simply hacking out portions of the file until you get something that works should eventually identify the problem.

I think the key is to generate the text form BVH file though!

Is there some formal BVH spec. BTW? It would certainly simplify the analysis and debugging process!

Karen

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM, BlueWall Slade <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have used ??animeple?? with some success. However the converted ones won't load into qavimator for love or money. I think the real power of having these converted over is to have a library to draw clips from for creating other animations.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes these are the same ones we started looking at on this list a few months
back. The effort died fairly quickly without any tangible resolution as to
whether they could be converted. I reviewed some of the animations created
with them and they seem like solid mocaps. Again, not being a programmer I
was not able to progress them to a usable state for OpenSim. Just seems like
a gold mine for us if something can be done with them.

-Robert

Re: Converting the Carnegie Mellon Animations?

Marcus Llewellyn
I found a link that has some info on the BVH format, and I'll place the URL at the end of this message. This particular document describes how 3DS Max handles BVH files, but all the relevant info is in there. It's not a very complex format (and it's not XML btw).

I'm assuming that the binary version was something cooked up by LL, and probably just removes all of the textual information in favor of expecting joint rotation and offset data to be there in a predetermined order, followed by the frame data.

Anyhoo, here's the link:

http://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/cgspeed/motion-capture/3dsmax-friendly-release-of-cmu-motion-database/3dsmax-bvh-import-specification

12