Quantcast

Currency install

Nick Zwart
Hi all,

Is there anyone that has found an easy way to install currency on a grid. We want to use it for education, so students can buy new clothing whenever the receive points (money).

Hope to hear from you.

Nick

Re: Currency install

Erik Bainbridge (Apollo Manga)
Re: Currency install I faced this problem with a grid I was building for a client earlier this year.  It was frustrating.

My client's servers were running Windows Server 2008; after a lot of frustration trying various currency options, including Paypal Micropayments, I ended up using Virwox's OMC for the grid currency.  The OMC is administered by an Austrian university which provided the information I needed. I recommend asking them for assistance rather than Virwox.  I felt that all the other currency options would take more work to implement on Windows than my client was willing to pay for.  OMC worked very well after I got it set up.

I haven't yet had a need to set up a currency in my own grid, which runs on a Linux server, but I expect some other currency options will be less of a hassle on Linux than on Windows.

Others in this group have far more experience than I do and I'm sure will have more helpful information.

Erik

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:05:38 +0200
> From: Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Currency install
> <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,

> Is there anyone that has found an easy way to install currency on a grid.
> We want to use it for education, so students can buy new clothing whenever
> the receive points (money).

> I found this one but is confusing -
> http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

> Hope to hear from you.

> Nick

Re: Currency install

Erik Bainbridge (Apollo Manga)
This post was updated on .
One more thought, Nick.

Be very careful about selecting a currency.  There are legal issues that could crush both you and your world if you're not wary.  The biggest one is the US Treasury Department's FinCEN.  They have been cracking down on Bitcoin and are likely to be turning their attention to virtual worlds because of the potential for both money laundering and financial fraud.

IMHO, the only really safe option for a grid currency is Paypal, or a setup like Kitely, where there is a "fictional" non-convertible currency for inworld use and Paypal for everything else.  I think OMC is a relatively safe alternative that's also fairly easy to set up.  Podex offers two ways of having a currency in a grid, one managed by Podex and the other managed by the grid owner.  It should be legally safer to let Podex manage it.

Re: Currency install

Nick Zwart
Re: Currency install
I managed to work out the currency using these two video's.

I only had some problem with the certificates but it can also run without of you change the settings in the .ini

Nick Zwart

I faced this problem with a grid I was building for a client earlier this year.  It was frustrating.

My client's servers were running Windows Server 2008; after a lot of frustration trying various currency options, including Paypal Micropayments, I ended up using Virwox's OMC for the grid currency.  The OMC is administered by an Austrian university which provided the information I needed. I recommend asking them for assistance rather than Virwox.  I felt that all the other currency options would take more work to implement on Windows than my client was willing to pay for.  OMC worked very well after I got it set up.

I haven't yet had a need to set up a currency in my own grid, which runs on a Linux server, but I expect some other currency options will be less of a hassle on Linux than on Windows.

Others in this group have far more experience than I do and I'm sure will have more helpful information.

Erik

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:05:38 +0200
> From: Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Currency install
> <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,

> Is there anyone that has found an easy way to install currency on a grid.
> We want to use it for education, so students can buy new clothing whenever
> the receive points (money).

> I found this one but is confusing -
> http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

> Hope to hear from you.

> Nick

Re: Currency install

Isis Ophelia
Thanks for the information Nick Zwart. I have saved the links :)

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]> wrote:
I managed to work out the currency using these two video's.

I only had some problem with the certificates but it can also run without of you change the settings in the .ini

Nick Zwart

I faced this problem with a grid I was building for a client earlier this year.  It was frustrating.

My client's servers were running Windows Server 2008; after a lot of frustration trying various currency options, including Paypal Micropayments, I ended up using Virwox's OMC for the grid currency.  The OMC is administered by an Austrian university which provided the information I needed. I recommend asking them for assistance rather than Virwox.  I felt that all the other currency options would take more work to implement on Windows than my client was willing to pay for.  OMC worked very well after I got it set up.

I haven't yet had a need to set up a currency in my own grid, which runs on a Linux server, but I expect some other currency options will be less of a hassle on Linux than on Windows.

Others in this group have far more experience than I do and I'm sure will have more helpful information.

Erik

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:05:38 +0200
> From: Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Currency install
> <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,

> Is there anyone that has found an easy way to install currency on a grid.
> We want to use it for education, so students can buy new clothing whenever
> the receive points (money).

> I found this one but is confusing -
> http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

> Hope to hear from you.

> Nick

Re: Currency install

Erik Bainbridge (Apollo Manga)
Re: Currency install Thanks, Nick!

It looks like those videos were posted after I finished working on the currency problem for my client.  I wish they'd been available then. They would have been helpful.

Erik

www.VirtualMarin.com
www.ErikBainbridge.com
www.examiner.com/second-life-in-national/apollo-manga
www.WarriorBrothers.com
www.MountainBikeRoots.com

Re: Currency install
I managed to work out the currency using these two video's.

http://www.slartist.com/part-6-1of2-how-to-setup-nsldtl-money-server-opensim-081_06ac8339d.html
http://www.slartist.com/part-6-2of2-how-to-setup-nsldtl-money-server-opensim-081_6a17c8c97.html

I only had some problem with the certificates but it can also run without of you change the settings in the .ini

Nick Zwart

I faced this problem with a grid I was building for a client earlier this year.  It was frustrating.

My client's servers were running Windows Server 2008; after a lot of frustration trying various currency options, including Paypal Micropayments, I ended up using Virwox's OMC for the grid currency.  The OMC is administered by an Austrian university which provided the information I needed. I recommend asking them for assistance rather than Virwox.  I felt that all the other currency options would take more work to implement on Windows than my client was willing to pay for.  OMC worked very well after I got it set up.

I haven't yet had a need to set up a currency in my own grid, which runs on a Linux server, but I expect some other currency options will be less of a hassle on Linux than on Windows.

Others in this group have far more experience than I do and I'm sure will have more helpful information.

Erik

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:05:38 +0200
> From: Nick Zwart - 3DLES <
[hidden email]>
> To:
[hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Currency install
> <
[hidden email]>

> Hi all,

> Is there anyone that has found an easy way to install currency on a grid.
> We want to use it for education, so students can buy new clothing whenever
> the receive points (money).

> I found this one but is confusing -
> http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

> Hope to hear from you.

> Nick

http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Currency-install-tp7582509p7582542.html
To unsubscribe from Currency install, click here.
NAML