Database name in MySQL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Database name in MySQL

John Hopkin
Currently, I have several regions set up on OSGrid. I'd also like to
try setting up a private grid, to see if it's better suited for some
things.

I'll use a separate install of OpenSim, of course, but when it comes
to MySQL, should I set up a separate database? So far I've been using
a database called "opensim", as per the various instructions I've
seen; should I start an entirely new one ("privategrid" or something)
for the new grid, or just lump it all together?

Any other suggestions/considerations anyone could think of would be
gratefully received too. I'm hoping that the private grid would
support two users, one of them (my partner) in the USA (I'm in the
UK), and this is partly a performance test of that setup. I'm hosting
both the OSGrid regions and the new private grid on my PC here at
home, although not at the same time, obviously. My internet speed is
6-10M/0.4-1.0Mbps depending on contention.
--
John Hopkin

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Database name in MySQL

justincc
On 26/10/10 16:28, John Hopkin wrote:
> Currently, I have several regions set up on OSGrid. I'd also like to
> try setting up a private grid, to see if it's better suited for some
> things.
>
> I'll use a separate install of OpenSim, of course, but when it comes
> to MySQL, should I set up a separate database? So far I've been using
> a database called "opensim", as per the various instructions I've
> seen; should I start an entirely new one ("privategrid" or something)
> for the new grid, or just lump it all together?

In principle, I believe you could put everything in a single set of tables, though that possibility is relatively
unexplored publicly.

If I were you I would go for the more well-trodden route and use separate databases :)

>
> Any other suggestions/considerations anyone could think of would be
> gratefully received too. I'm hoping that the private grid would
> support two users, one of them (my partner) in the USA (I'm in the
> UK), and this is partly a performance test of that setup. I'm hosting
> both the OSGrid regions and the new private grid on my PC here at
> home, although not at the same time, obviously. My internet speed is
> 6-10M/0.4-1.0Mbps depending on contention.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Database name in MySQL

John Hopkin
Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 26/10/10 16:28, John Hopkin wrote:
> > Currently, I have several regions set up on OSGrid. I'd also like to
> > try setting up a private grid, to see if it's better suited for some
> > things.
> >
> > I'll use a separate install of OpenSim, of course, but when it comes
> > to MySQL, should I set up a separate database? So far I've been using
> > a database called "opensim", as per the various instructions I've
> > seen; should I start an entirely new one ("privategrid" or something)
> > for the new grid, or just lump it all together?
>
> In principle, I believe you could put everything in a single set of tables, though that possibility is relatively
> unexplored publicly.
>
> If I were you I would go for the more well-trodden route and use separate databases :)

Thanks, Justin, I'll do that. I really don't feel like breaking new
ground on this. :)
--
John Hopkin

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users