Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

12

Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

iSkye Silverweb
We're a group of 3 people; one in the UK, the other two in the US.  The one in the UK is the one with the system on which we've been trying to get our Diva distro up and running.

We have really struggled with getting external access sorted. We haven't tried hypergate yet - we want the 3 of us to be able to log into the grid with our viewers first, since we will be building in there, and we want to set our home to our grid.

We've tried multiple times, multiple settings, and the closest we got was to get the registration page on the Web set up and working, and the login page on the viewer (Imprudence), and the login process started.  Our UK guy was able to log in from within his network; the two of us in the US are not able to log in from outside.  The logs showed that OpenSim saw us logging in, everything looked great, until we got to the handshake stage; we can't get past that despite trying numerous different settings in the Regions.ini file and on the router.  Someone in some forum mentioned never seeing LLUDPSERVER kicking in; we have never seen that either, so if we were supposed to, that's where our problem seems to lie, but we tried different fixes, but to no avail.  We're incredibly frustrated and demoralised.

Last night, we decided to start over again on two different computers (separate times), but now we can't even get the registration page up and the viewer's grid manager's 'get grid info' can't find our grid address.  We followed the instructions on this page:  https://github.com/diva/d2/wiki/Installation  and even tried it with MySQL Workbench on one of the computers while using the command line on the other one.  Both gave us the same result.  NOTE: We did not try to run OpenSim on both computers simultaneously, and we made sure to port forward correctly when attempting one or the other computer.

We even invested in a new router from the ISP with a current firmware version that supports NAT Loopback, etc.  We tried creating a DMZ, not having one; we tried turning off uPnP and leaving it on; we tried a numeric IP address for the external address and the FQDN; we tried 0.0.0.0 for internal IP and using an internal address.  Two of us actually worked through the day and all night yesterday/last night trying to get this working multiple times.  We've seen others successfully getting their grids up and externally accessible, so we know it's possible, but that apple seems to be dangling just outside our reach.  It's galling for us because two of us have backgrounds in systems, network, web and database programming spanning more than a decade each.

We REALLY could use some help from someone who has done it successfully (all the way to successful external logins) and maybe wouldn't mind going thru it with us a bit; a fresh pair of eyes and input from someone who has succeeded might spot something we've missed or something we've been doing wrong.

Can anyone help, please?

Re: Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

iSkye Silverweb
We're getting closer.  We guess!  Now, we've got the opposite issue.  External computers can log in; the UK guy can't get in from inside his network.  We did as Diva suggested (9000 only for both TCP & UDP; 9001-9003 for UDP only - previously all four ports were opened for both UDP & TCP) and that got us to this point, thank you Diva!

We're told his router supports NAT loopback (Sagem FAST 2504 from Sky Broadband).  Not sure that's by default? So, we attempted this method, hoping that would get him able to log in through his viewer from inside the network:

This method was used and successfully tested using www.dyndns.com (creates a virtual domain for your pc/ip, like yourcomputer.ath.cx) as loopback for devices on a LAN with three machines (pentium 2.8ghz running windows xp - internet server , amd opteron running ubuntu 7.10 64bit - as opensim server - and MacBook with OSX 10.4.11 - as client), a modem (thomson/alcatel speedtouch 330) and a mini-switch (which brand no one ever heard of). The connection of these machines is made as following: Modem -> Win Pc -> Switch -> Mac and Ubuntu. Dyndns is used to loopback to the Win Pc, and then it forwards the request to the internal LAN opensim server, which grants everything for the client. As for the client, if he is inside the private LAN then he is now actually someone on the internet requesting for access to the opensim server. Thus, if the client is someone on the internet then he will be treated like that. Tricky ? Further details ahead:

Method:

    * Set the simulator listening IP address to your dyndns domain - edit opensim/bin/Regions/default.xml; and change the external_host_name to external_host_name="yourcomputer.ath.cx". Leave internal_ip_address "0.0.0.0" and port "9000".
    * Set the client (SecondLife Viewer) -loginuri to "yourcomputer.ath.cx:8002" (the port used was 8002, yours can be different if you configured it that way) - i didnt used the -loginserver flag also.
    * Port Forward the above ports on the internet server (in this case, win xp). You do so by creating exceptions in Windows Firewall for the above mentioned ports, and for both connections: Internet Connection and LAN - this keeps the ports open for the web requests to travel over the private network.
    * Edit "hosts" file (on windows, this is C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and on Unix-type systems, this is /etc/hosts) entry on your internet server (in this case, win xp box) and add the following line: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     yourcomputer.ath.cx. Of course, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your opensim server internal LAN IP.

yourcomputer.ath.cx is now available for everyone to connect and you may login with the client!

Now, while he was able to get in, the external computers were locked out again.  He reversed his changes; we're back to external computers being able to log in, but he can't.  Seems we have an either/or situation, but we want to have our cake and eat it too...

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We're still not getting a breakthrough on getting the inside-network login working while also having external computers able to get in.

Our current setup is this:
We have a standalone Diva distro 0.7.0 on a Windows XP computer in the UK, with two other computers inside that network; two external computers outside the UK.

On router (Sagem F@ST 2504 firmware version 2.8Sky):
Port 9000 for TCP/UDP and ports 9001-9003 for UDP

Windows firewall disabled on both computers inside the network

regions.ini file:
external IP is our-grid.dyndns-server.com  (note: when we change the external IP to the actual internal IP, 192.168.0.9, for the machine running our grid, our UK guy can log in from inside his network, but the 2 outside computers can't log in)
internal IP is 0.0.0.0

hosts file on the client the UK guy is trying to login from:
192.168.0.9    our-grid.dyndns-server.com

uPnP and DMZ are both off, disabled (we've tried both ways)

All three of us can see the welcome page in the browser.  The UK (inside network) guy, isn't able to log in through the webpage, nor can he get into the grid.  We seem to be missing one small ingredient that will let our UK guy login from inside his network.

Suggestions, anyone?  Your help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM, iSkye Silverweb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, we all use the same viewer and the same login url.

He just went to a different computer (still inside his network) and was able to get the grid info but still hangs at the handshake.

When we do the following in the regions.ini file:

external IP is our-grid.dyndns-server.com  and internal IP is 0.0.0.0

the computers outside the network are able to get into the grid but the UK guy's computer hangs on handshake - this is even though he has the hosts file edited as described previously, on each computer in the network;

when we set the following in the regions file:

external IP is 192.168.0.9

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Harri Nyman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Olli Aro
Administrator
Don't think it is possible to use dyndns with opensim.

The problem is that external ip still does not support domain names.

So if you want to make the server visible from the Internet you need to put your Internet ip in as the external ip.

Regards

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

enauman
I have a standalone set up without using a domain name, just a static external IP. Sim is accessible inside and outside our firewall. It's worth a try.

Re: Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

Olli Aro
Administrator

Well my experience so far with opensim is that you cannot use domain names as values for the external_ip property. But have not tested it with 0.7.x yet.

If you do not have a static IP address you could still try to following:

1)      In the same network find out your current public IP address with some website like: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

2)      Try that IP as the external IP

3)      Ask your external users to connect using that IP

You might as well try it :)

Olli

Re: Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

Olli Aro
Administrator
Aaah ok I thought it was the other way around. Have you asked the internal guy to login with the internal ip instead of the domain? So use 192.168.0.9.

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Nov 2010, at 08:36, iSkye Silverweb <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

here's a review of what our setup is at the moment:

Our current setup is this:
We have a standalone Diva distro 0.7.0 on a Windows XP computer in the UK, with two other computers inside that network; two external computers outside the UK.

On router (Sagem F@ST 2504 firmware version 2.8Sky):
Port 9000 for TCP/UDP and ports 9001-9003 for UDP

Windows firewall disabled on both computers inside the network

regions.ini file:
external IP is our-grid.dyndns-server.com  (note: when we change the external IP to the actual internal IP, 192.168.0.9, for the machine running our grid, our UK guy can log in from inside his network, but the 2 outside computers can't log in)
internal IP is 0.0.0.0

hosts file on the client the UK guy is trying to login from contains the following line:
192.168.0.9    our-grid.dyndns-server.com

uPnP and DMZ are both off, disabled (we've tried both ways)

All three of us can see the welcome page in the browser.  The UK (inside network) guy, isn't able to log in through the webpage, nor can he get into the grid.  We seem to be missing one small ingredient that will let our UK guy login from inside his network without blocking us external people from getting into the grid.

It seems the problem is addressing somewhere.  We just tried SYSTEMIP as external IP and he can get in the but the external computers can't.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaah ok I thought it was the other way around. Have you asked the internal guy to login with the internal ip instead of the domain? So use 192.168.0.9.

Olli

Re: Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

Olli Aro
Administrator
I wonder what happens if you also place the custom host file on the server... Very likely your external users are then unable to connect but you never know.

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Nov 2010, at 15:32, iSkye Silverweb <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Drwhiet, we tried your suggestion, no joy.

When I say "not able to get in" that means not able to get past the handshake stage; we hang and eventually get the error.  So here is what we also tried:

Regions file
    - setting internal to 192.168.0.9 - he can get in from LAN, external computers cannot.
    - put internal to 0.0.0.0 - external computers get in, he cannot.  Left it at that.
External in both cases was the FQDN we got from dyndns, our-grid.dyndns-server.com
If he set it to 192.168.0.9, he could get in from LAN, but external computers could not.
Set external back to FQDN, internal IP at 0.0.0.0.  With this external computers will get past the handshake and log in completely, while he hangs at the handshake trying from inside the LAN.

He tried turning off all firewalls and antivirus, then on the router allowing all ports open - STILL not able to get in. Put all back.

Looked at hosts file, put one on the computer that opensim is running on.
If set to 127.0.0.1, it hangs for external computers, when he takes it out completely, external computers can get in.
If set to 129.168.0.9, he can get in from LAN but external computers can't.
If he removes the hosts file from the opensim server, he can't get in (even if he has the hosts file set to the latter on the computer he tries to log in from - different from the opensim computer) but external computers can.
He tried the hosts file on the server with the router address, external computers cannot get into the grid.

We're puzzled by how it seems EITHER he can get past the handshake and complete login to the grid OR the external computers can; we cannot seem to get BOTH to completely log in.  Very puzzling.  He's left it so external computers can log in, at the moment.

Any more suggestions?

On 11/29/2010 8:45 AM, iSkye Silverweb wrote:
> Set external back to FQDN, internal IP at 0.0.0.0.  With this external
> computers will get past the handshake and log in completely, while he
> hangs at the handshake trying from inside the LAN.

This is the correct set up. He should use the FQDNS for -loginuri, not
the local IP.

Re: Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

iSkye Silverweb
Really appreciative of everyone trying to help - John, we followed your suggestion, and we also followed Diva's:

He tried without an entry in the hosts file:
Using the FQDN for -loginuri and the client can't even find the server.

If he uses the local IP address (192.168.0.9) for -loginuri (again, without an entry in the hosts file), then it does find the server, but he hangs at the handshake.

On 11/29/2010 11:33 AM, iSkye Silverweb wrote:
> Really appreciative of everyone trying to help - John, we followed
> your suggestion, and we also followed Diva's:
>
> He tried without an entry in the hosts file:
> Using the FQDN for -loginuri and the client can't even find the server.

He needs to add that entry in the hosts file, obviously, otherwise the
name likely won't be resolved.

> If he uses the local IP address (192.168.0.9) for -loginuri (again,
> without an entry in the hosts file), then it does find the server, but
> he hangs at the handshake.

That won't work. He needs to use the FQDN.

12