Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

12

Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
Our corporate firewall blocks access to vivox.com, so when the user tries to enable voice Imprudence throws a screen while attempting to agree to the Vivox terms of use. The user can't select the Agree button on the page since the page is blocked. Is there a way around this? I am running 0.7.2 and Freeswitch.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Chris Collins
looking at imprudence 1.3.2 release notes seems to talk about some kind of Vivox fix http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Release_Notes

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our corporate firewall blocks access to vivox.com, so when the user tries to
enable voice Imprudence throws a screen while attempting to agree to the
Vivox terms of use. The user can't select the Agree button on the page since
the page is blocked. Is there a way around this? I am running 0.7.2 and
Freeswitch.

Chris Collins
CEO
Tipodean Technologies
+1 415-515-6928 | [hidden email]
Skype: cozza13 | SL: Chris Collins
Website: www.tipodean.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tipodean
http://www.linkedin.com/in/collinschris
http://www.builtbuy.me
Tools for your distributed workforce

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

justincc
I would also suggest asking this on the Imprudence forums.

On 12/10/11 18:54, Chris Collins wrote:

> looking at imprudence 1.3.2 release notes seems to talk about some kind of Vivox fix
> http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Imprudence:Release_Notes
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Our corporate firewall blocks access to vivox.com <http://vivox.com>, so when the user tries to
>     enable voice Imprudence throws a screen while attempting to agree to the
>     Vivox terms of use. The user can't select the Agree button on the page since
>     the page is blocked. Is there a way around this? I am running 0.7.2 and
>     Freeswitch.
>
>     --

> Chris Collins
> CEO
> Tipodean Technologies
> +1 415-515-6928 | [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Skype: cozza13 | SL: Chris Collins
> Website: www.tipodean.com <http://www.tipodean.com>
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tipodean
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/collinschris
> http://www.builtbuy.me
> Tools for your distributed workforce

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Nicky Perian
At first start or when voice is enabled in preferences imprudence attempts to pull in the vivox end user agreement for each user confirmation that they agree. Once the check mark is clicked there is a setting written that the user has seen and agreed with the use condition and then subsequent attempts to query vivox will not happen. I don't recall the name of the variable but, I suppose someone could set it and then it would no longer query vivox until the next viewer install on that machine.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Nicky Perian
settings.xml line number is likely different this is from 1.4.0 beta 2
<key>VivoxLicenseAccepted</key>
    Line 1478:     <string>By setting to true, you indicate your agreement to the Vivox Acceptable Use Policy at http://www.vivox.com/vivox_aup.html</string>

Robert Klein
Thanks Nicky that was the solution! Although I am not sure how to roll this fix out to over 5000 users but at least it is a start. :)

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
Just for archiving, here is the actual block of code:

<key>VivoxLicenseAccepted</key>
  <map>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>By setting to true, you indicate your agreement to the Vivox Acceptable Use Policy at http://www.vivox.com/vivox_aup.html</string>
    <key>Persist</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Type</key>
    <string>Boolean</string>
    <key>Value</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
  </map>

-Robert

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Nicky Perian
do you compile your viewer for distribution within your company? if so, you could possibly include a local page of the html and address it as file:///blah.blah or put on a protected corporate internal web server and
change the address to it. however, i don't know how legal that is since the vivox EULA is  likely under copyright. Also, if vivox changed the terms it would be out of date.

Thanks Nicky that was the solution! Although I am not sure how to roll this
fix out to over 5000 users but at least it is a start. :)

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
No I am not compiling from source and I will either have to go through the process of convincing the firewall guys to take vivox off the block list or try another method for doing voice.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Toni Alatalo-2
On Oct 13, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Robert Klein wrote:
> No I am not compiling from source and I will either have to go through the
> process of convincing the firewall guys to take vivox off the block list or
> try another method for doing voice.

perhaps it could be made a setting.

but indeed this is for Imprudence fora - i've actually made mac builds of it recently, cause someone was missing one, but haven't joined on the lists yet or anything .. see you there, i figure :)

~Toni

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Kamal Jain
Hi Robert,

Do you know why your corporate firewall blocks access to Vivox?  Is it ANY access, or just certain protocols and ports?

Kamal
Kamal Jain
Director of Network Operations & Customer Service
Vivox, Inc.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

paul emery
Since the change you need to propagate to the 5000 users in not part of the viewer exe code you do not have to recompile from source. The change you need to make i think is in a  config file. Make the change on your machine and then wrap all the files in the imprudence folder and subfolders into your own custom install file. I do this using CreateInstall http://www.createinstall.com/cifree/ Then distribute this install file rather then downloading the install from the imprudence site. I use the method to send out an imprudence with only our stand alone grid in the grid manager.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
This post was updated on .
Hey Kamal,

The only thing I can imagine why they would suddenly start blocking the vivox site is due to your association with Second Life and you may have been included through guilt by association. It is definitely a blocking of the vivox.com site. I don't think it is an individual rule but a bulk block along with many others. We do a lot of work in the healthcare field along with the department of defense so they are pretty zealous in their desire to block everything. Enterprise application of virtual worlds is huge and the hurdles we face are just as huge and frustrating. Any chance you could point that Acceptance of License to a different less vivoxy URL? :)

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
Hey Paul,

Thank you for the suggestion and it sounds like you are trying to do the same thing I am with an internal rollout that only has our own grid listed not any others. I will try the createinstall wrapper and hopefully it is simple to use. I used to just zip up the old Hippo folder and distribute it to my users but Imprudence actually needs to be installed. We are using Windows 7 machines and that is presenting some interesting challenges over XP too. Never a dull moment in OpenSim!

Robert

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Adric R-2
The Windows installer does two things: checks for the C++ runtime and installs it if it's missing, and gives users the option to associate imprudence with secondlife:// urls. If you don't need either of these things, you don't need the installer, you can just zip the installed folder and distribute that (i.e. zip the C:\Program Files\Imprudence folder). The viewer'll run fine so long as you have up-to-date 2005 and 2010 CRTs installed on your machines.

Alternatively, you could create your own installer. All you'd need to do would be to edit the Inno Setup installer template that's included in the source (linden/indra/newview/installers/windows/imprudence_installer_template.iss, if I remember right).

Cheers,

-- McCabe

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Paul,

Thank you for the suggestion and it sounds like you are trying to do the
same thing I am with an internal rollout that only has our own grid listed
not any others. I will try the createinstall wrapper and hopefully it is
simple to use. I used to just zip up the old Hippo folder and distribute it
to my users but Imprudence actually needs to be installed. We are using
Windows 7 machines and that is presenting some interesting challenges over
XP too. Never a dull moment in OpenSim!

Robert

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Adric R-2
Looks like you found a bug in Imp. We check for the right grid on startup (the Vivox license window should only come up if you're connecting to Second Life) but the check was missing from the preferences option. I've fixed this, and the change'll be in 1.4 RC1 (although if it's an urgent fix, email me and let me know. I can compile a custom version for you).

In the meantime, you can use a custom settings file by adding --settings "filename.xml" to the startup parameters. (On Windows, you need to create a new shortcut to imprudence.exe for this.) You'd want to use the default settings.xml file as a base and edit that.

The options you'll need to change:

VivoxLicenseAccepted set to 1.
VoiceModuleVivox or VoiceModuleMumble will let you set the .exe name of your voice module, too (I forget which one you'll need with Freeswitch).

Cheers,

-- McCabe

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our corporate firewall blocks access to vivox.com, so when the user tries to
enable voice Imprudence throws a screen while attempting to agree to the
Vivox terms of use. The user can't select the Agree button on the page since
the page is blocked. Is there a way around this? I am running 0.7.2 and
Freeswitch.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Fleep Tuque
Hey Paul, thanks for this tip.  We've been talking about how to package our own distribution of Imp with just our grid in the in the grid manager too and this looks like the perfect solution.

Thanks!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

http://www.uc.edu/ucit/learningtools/secondlife.html

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM, paul emery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since the change you need to propagate to the 5000 users in not part of the
viewer exe code you do not have to recompile from source. The change you
need to make i think is in a  config file. Make the change on your machine
and then wrap all the files in the imprudence folder and subfolders into
your own custom install file. I do this using CreateInstall
http://www.createinstall.com/cifree/ Then distribute this install file
rather then downloading the install from the imprudence site. I use the
method to send out an imprudence with only our stand alone grid in the grid
manager.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Kamal Jain
Robert,

The genesis of the relationship between SLVoice.exe and OpenSim actually predates my arrival at Vivox, but I would be happy to see what we might be able to do.  There are licensing issues in the mix.

It would help me to understand your use cases and challenges.  Please email me privately at kamal@vivox.com and let's discuss.

Vivox, Inc.

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Robert Klein
Hmm, I tried to zip up the folder like I used to do with Hippo but Imprudence would not run and had to be installed. We are using Imprudence Experimental and I believe that is 1.4.

Basically we just need an easy way for an internal user to run Imprudence and only have our single grid ready to go for them. I have already edited the default_grid_settings file to only have our grid visible. The beauty of using the old Hippo was it did not need to be installed.

@Kamal - It sounds like Vivox only gets hit when the Second Life grid is chosen and since we are only needing our own internal grid hit then Vivox isn't even needed. So problem solved and it stands toreason if someone is going to be using the SL grid then they must have enough access to reach vivox.com!

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Does Imprudence need access to Vivox site?

Kamal Jain
Robert,

I setup a Diva pre-built Windows installation on my laptop, and pointed Imprudence at it.  When I got around to enabling voice, I got the Vivox license dialog -- and I never once pointed the viewer at SL.

If your issue is resolved, I am happy.  If not...email me and let's discuss.

Cheers,