Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Han Xu
I copied a flight fly script from [1], but it just doesn't work even if I applied it to a simple prim. So I was wondering if Linden Script gets a fully support from OpenSim platform?

Thanks for your expertise!

[1] http://www.freeslscripts.gendersquare.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:flight-script&catid=13:air&Itemid=8

Cheers,
Han

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Kay McLennan
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Han Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:
I copied a flight fly script from [1], but it just doesn't work even if I applied it to a simple prim. So I was wondering if Linden Script gets a fully support from OpenSim platform?

Thanks for your expertise!

[1] http://www.freeslscripts.gendersquare.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:flight-script&catid=13:air&Itemid=8

Hi Han, et al,

I endeavored to use the LSL vehicle script in a car in the OS platform and discovered the script only works on the X axis and further only works in an east to west direction.  In turn, is it possible your airplane [vehicle] script similarly only works on the X axis and in an east to west direction?

Best,
Kay

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

GarminKawaguichi
Try to test the vehicle features of OpenSim with very simple script(s) like those found there (at the end):

Several month ago I've tried to use vehicles and I had problems with the first instruction: llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS, TRUE); :)))

GCI

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

GarminKawaguichi
And verify the max number of prims: for physical objects the limit is 31.

GCI

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

InuYasha Meiji
No one mentioned this yet either.  The ODE )(Physics Engine) is still
being worked on and only the most basic parts are complete.  So the mere
fact that the vehicle goes physical may cause some strainge effects.
You can see this when walking and jumping.  In SL you can jump up and
hit the forward arrow and drift a bit forward a little.  In OS if you do
the same, you only jump up, and land in the same spot, that is unless
you are already moving forward when you start the jump.

So, if the physics engine isn't complete, how can the script that
depends on the physics react the same in one grid as the other??

Your Friend,
InuYasha

On 2/15/2012 11:43 AM, Garmin Kawaguichi wrote:

> And verify the max number of prims: for physical objects the limit is 31.
> GCI

Wade Schuette

Kay, the short answer is, "No".   LSL is not fully supported by the default settings of the OpenSim platform. In particular road vehicles have been difficult to get to operate at all,  and flying vehicles, well, I gave up on those a year ago, but since then ODE has become the new default.

Status of various LSL scripting functions is on this page:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions

The longer answer is "On the other hand...".   OpenSim new default physics engine ("OpenDynamicsEngine - ODE) can be BETTER than Second Life's version of Havok4.

There's investigation of "ninja physics" to include actual axles and hinges and physics that work, among other things. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NINJA_Physics

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Physics_engine
http://www.terathon.com/wiki/index.php/Third_Party_Physics_Engines

Speaking as an undergraduate physics graduate,  the physics in Second Life is ... bizarre.  Whoever implemented it didn't really grasp the basic principles of dynamics, so it's all sort of a huge kludge to get it to function.

The OpenSimulator vehicle script page
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Vehicles#VEHICLE_Scripting_Examples
was last updated when work was suspended October 24, 2009 when she ran into a show-stopper obstacle.

BUT, the OSgrid forum lists a number of more current scripts, and was last updated in 2011.
http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2233
The list includes:  (ignore the blue, these arent' links.)

Train Script Functional
Driveable box-lltakecontrol
Opensimulator Vehicle Scripting with LSL
Vehicles in OS, Resource /Reference information
ODE Car (hovercraft)
LSL Vehicle Script for Flight
Boat Script
Updated Train Script for Nebadon's original train script New!
ODE Aircraft Script New!

I guess it's time to give those a try!

Wade

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Wade Schuette <[hidden email]> wrote:
The longer answer is "On the other hand...".   OpenSim new default physics engine ("OpenDynamicsEngine - ODE) can be BETTER than Second Life's version of Havok4...

Wade,

Thank you for the splendid list of vehicle resources -- that I cannot wait to try out!

Best,
Kay

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

R.Gunther
How do you get at the idea that its limited to 31 prims in opensim ?
There verhicles in opensim with way more prims and phyical to.

On 2012-02-15 17:43, Garmin Kawaguichi wrote:
And verify the max number of prims: for physical objects the limit is 31.

GCI
Try to test the vehicle features of OpenSim with very simple script(s) like those found there (at the end):

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

ODE has been the default for a long time.  I have done a bit of work recently to clean up some of the code and resolve
some crash issues but I haven't touched vehicles as of yet.

Patches to improve OpenSimulator's ODE physics plugin are very welcome but they must change just one thing at a time
have a clear explanation of why that thing is being changed and conform to OpenSimulator's code formatting.  This is in
order to preserve the stability of what we do have.

The NINJA physics stuff is very old and I'm not sure if it works anymore.

In the long term, using the BulletSim physics plugin will be the way forward but I think there's still a lot of value in
working on ODE, as physics plugins take a considerable time to stabilize.

I might do a bit of work on vehicle physics at some stage since I'm becoming increasingly curious about it (and I'm
getting to know a very, very little bit about physics engines).  But this probably won't happen soon, so help is welcome.

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Han Xu
Thanks for the information!

But I have tried the script for flight at here: http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224 and an updated version at here: http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3336

Both of them don't work in my SL Viewer. The reason that I use SL Viewer is that it's the only viewer I know that supports 3D object import from SketchUp Library.

Anybody has the experience in getting through this situation? Thanks!

Best,
Han

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Han Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the information!

But I have tried the script for flight at here: http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224 and an updated version at here: http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3336

Both of them don't work in my SL Viewer.

Han,

Again, I am using the vehicle script in a car (or the script at http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224) and the only way it works is for the car to be pointed west on the X-axis and the arrow keys work backwards.  In other words, to go forward I have to use the back arrow key.

Based on the above, I wonder if your airplane needs to be pointed west on the X-axis?

Note:  The script used as described above works with the both Firestorm V2 viewer and the Imprudence 1.4.0 beta viewer.

Best,
Kay

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Han Xu
Kay,

Thanks!

So it seems that I have to abandon the Vehicle API to make my airplane fly in the air. Is there any other approach for making an object (like airpline in my case) move following the route I specifiy for it?  I wonder if there is an easier way to design moving route other than specifying coordinates? Thanks in advance!

Best,
Han

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Kay McLennan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  There are many approaches but I don't understand enough about what you
want to accomplish.

Is your airplane simply "scenery", that would have no passengers, and
you just want it to fly around like a robot bird?

Is it a type of "tour bus" that you want to be able to take passengers
around a 3-D route you have already decided and specified?

And, regardless,  how would you WANT to design a route besides
specifying coordinates,   or at least going to desired points and
specifying "... then HERE, ..." ?

One of the nicer "tour bus" products in Second Life lets me just move
along the desired route and lay down temporary markers that are "then
HERE...." points for the route,  but then ALSO records the coordinates
for those in a text file (notecard)  so they can be edited later, not
only for the order in which they are visited,  but for the TIMING.   How
long should I pause here,  how fast should I go over this leg, etc.
And, the script lets me toss in commands to "say" when I get to each
point, so animations can be triggered when the car gets to that point.

Mostly I'm frustrated that the note cards have to be edited in-world, I
wish they were stored in some MySQL database that I could edit without
having to recompile the scripts and restart them every time I learn a
little more about how the tour is going and who wants to stay longer at
certain points.

Is THAT the sort of thing you want?

Wade

On 2/16/12 2:16 PM, Han Xu wrote:

> Kay,
>
> Thanks!
>
> So it seems that I have to abandon the Vehicle API to make my airplane
> fly in the air. Is there any other approach for making an object (like
> airpline in my case) move following the route I specifiy for it?  I
> wonder if there is an easier way to design moving route other than
> specifying coordinates? Thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
> Han

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

InuYasha Meiji
I don't suppose there is a way to use a form of world coordinates and a
moveto type of command instead of making something physical to get some
kind of vehicle to work smoothly?   I don't know, just throwing out
ideas.  I was hoping to figure out something, because I have dreams of
making some kind of ride-able animal in opensim.  Example:  Horses,
dragons that walk, maybe camels or water buffalo .

Before I am told to use attached Animals, I don't want to go that way.
But if we can't even figure out cars and planes, I fear ride-able
animals can't even be possible.

InuYasha.

On 2/16/2012 5:16 PM, Han Xu wrote:

> Kay,
>
> Thanks!
>
> So it seems that I have to abandon the Vehicle API to make my airplane
> fly in the air. Is there any other approach for making an object (like
> airpline in my case) move following the route I specifiy for it?  I
> wonder if there is an easier way to design moving route other than
> specifying coordinates? Thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
> Han
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Kay McLennan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Han Xu <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Thanks for the information!
>
>         But I have tried the script for flight at here:
>         http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224
>         <http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224> and an
>         updated version at here:
>         http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3336
>         <http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3336>
>
>         Both of them don't work in my SL Viewer.
>
>     Han,
>     Again, I am using the vehicle script in a car (or the script at
>     http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224
>     <http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2224>) and the only
>     way it works is for the car to be pointed west on the X-axis and
>     the arrow keys work backwards.  In other words, to go forward I
>     have to use the back arrow key.
>     Based on the above, I wonder if your airplane needs to be pointed
>     west on the X-axis?
>     Note:  The script used as described above works with the both
>     Firestorm V2 viewer and the Imprudence 1.4.0 beta viewer.
>     Best,
>     Kay

Re: Does OpenSim fully support Linden Script?

Karen Palen
You might look at the "New Caledonian Railroad" (freebie) which was imported to OSGrid (I think).

It works fine in OpenSim (tested under OpenSim 0.6.9) but uses only a fixed and preprogrammed route (i.e. you can "ride" but not "drive"). You should be able to add a "height" parameter to the scripts and "fly" an airplane the same way.

Karen

On 02/16/2012 03:16 PM, Han Xu wrote:
[...]

M.E. Verhagen
In opensim you can create notecards through a script. So you can actually update a notecard with an inworld script wich gets its data from an external source.

The changed event gets triggered when a notecard is created c.q. updated. So there you could reread the notecard.