EC2 vs OpenSim hosting co vs renting generic dedicated servers

EC2 vs OpenSim hosting co vs renting generic dedicated servers

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
When I asked here a few days ago about using Amazon EC2 for hosting OpenSim, I was wondering about it both for a client and for myself.  I now believe that EC2 meets my own needs, but I'm still not sure about the best way for my client to go.  The company has an idea for a virtual world that has potential to be big.

The three choices are using Amazon EC2, or renting a generic dedicated server, or using an OpenSim hosting service such as Dreamland Metaverse, SimHost, or 3D Hosting (I'm not sure the last one would work because my client's preliminary focus is on the North American market).

I haven't considered using an OpenSim hosting company for expanding my own small virtual world because I'm technically adept and can do the work myself.  However for my client, I'm wondering whether might be more cost effective for them to use a company like Dreamland or SimHost rather than paying me to provide custom services and create software that those companies already provide.

I'd love to do the technical work for my client, but I want to give them the advice that will benefit them most.  If anyone can point me to articles, forums, or other resources that could help me decide on the best course for my client to follow regarding EC2 vs OpenSim hosting vs generic dedicated hosting, I really want to hear from you.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: EC2 vs OpenSim hosting co vs renting generic dedicated servers

Joshua Rubeck
I have used Amazons EC2 service before, at the time I used it It was pretty unstable for anything I had in mind, I would double check the services being offered with each tier and also what versions of software is being run. DreamLand and SimHost may be more cost effective now but it depends on the needs of your client as well. If they need software thats not offered by either company then they would need a good developer, if not then those two service providers should be fine.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I asked here a few days ago about using Amazon EC2 for hosting OpenSim,
I was wondering about it both for a client and for myself.  I now believe
that EC2 meets my own needs, but I'm still not sure about the best way for
my client to go.  The company has an idea for a virtual world that has
potential to be big.

The three choices are using Amazon EC2, or renting a generic dedicated
server, or using an OpenSim hosting service such as Dreamland Metaverse,
SimHost, or 3D Hosting (I'm not sure the last one would work because in the
preliminary stage, my client's preliminary focus is on the North American

-----
 Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
 Writer, instructor, former software engineer
 Northern California
 ErikBainbridge.com
 VirtualMarin.com
 hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: EC2 vs OpenSim hosting co vs renting generic dedicated servers

hack13
Zetamex also offers quality hosting and has great customer support,
but we are just another option.